Jump to content
Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

Recommended Posts

Thank you for a regular and detailed review Lauren. Just a bit worried about the Overpipe burning something off. Could you elaborate that a bit more and is it due to the aftermarket one having no heat shield while the OE one has and for those with OE non polybush ones what would you suggest as a learning /preventive measure?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BRZ-123 said:

Thank you for a regular and detailed review Lauren. Just a bit worried about the Overpipe burning something off. Could you elaborate that a bit more and is it due to the aftermarket one having no heat shield while the OE one has and for those with OE non polybush ones what would you suggest as a learning /preventive measure?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
 

I wouldn't be massively worried. I had my Milltek overpipe fitted when the car had 10K miles on it. It became a problem in that it has cooked the ARB rubber D-mount  after 126K miles. It's just noisy when there is heat in it but there is nothing otherwise an issue with it. It's not like it's going to fall off or cause any issues with the handling of the car. It just makes a noise that's all. I will change it for poly bushes next week and look to wrap the overpipe in due course. If you don't do many miles it's unlikely to be an issue as such. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just got my letter through from Subaru for mine. Got to say I’m crapping it from what I’ve been reading about all the ones which have failed after the works but seems to be more positive here, thanks for your posts Lauren. Helps ease the mind a bit.

I was wondering where I’d stand in asking for written/email proof that they’ve had updated instructions or something, just in case something goes wrong it’ll be easier to get them to sort it afterwards? 

Will call in tomorrow and enquire, bet they still don’t really have a clue when I do though, they’re usually not the brightest anyway. Once told me the paint code on my classic Impreza didn’t exist even when it was a pretty common one... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 1:22 PM, MartinT said:

You didn't fancy swapping for more aggressive cams while they were out, Lauren?
 

There's no point, I haven't seen any worth the bother..... plus have you seen the cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfnick said:

I’ve just got my letter through from Subaru for mine. Got to say I’m crapping it from what I’ve been reading about all the ones which have failed after the works but seems to be more positive here, thanks for your posts Lauren. Helps ease the mind a bit.

I was wondering where I’d stand in asking for written/email proof that they’ve had updated instructions or something, just in case something goes wrong it’ll be easier to get them to sort it afterwards? 

Will call in tomorrow and enquire, bet they still don’t really have a clue when I do though, they’re usually not the brightest anyway. Once told me the paint code on my classic Impreza didn’t exist even when it was a pretty common one... 

 

You're arguably in better hands with Subaru they will be more familiar with the engine configuration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adam9 said:

You're arguably in better hands with Subaru they will be more familiar with the engine configuration. 

You've never used a Subaru dealer then..... 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just received a letter...

Less than impressed with my local dealer. I have always serviced my cars but for the sake of service history and time, i dropped it in just over a month ago for a major service, including spark plugs. I also asked about this:

On 04/02/2019
Hi economicpygmy 
There is no recall outstanding at this time. 
We will look forward to seeing you. 
Kind Regards
***** Subaru

03 February 2019
Can you check if there's a valve spring recall on my car?
*** REG ***
Regards, economicpygmy

Maybe Im jumping to conclusions but rolling in changing the valve springs and spark plugs would have seemed like a good idea....to me 🙄

They also supplied an invoice with 5W30; when queried and it was meant to be 0W20. The history has this mistake too last year from the previous owner.

These are exactly the kind of things that dont endear me to giving them a major job like pulling the engine to change the valve springs. And if the engine fails afterwards I bet its a world of pain....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, will300 said:

You've never used a Subaru dealer then..... 😆

I've never had a problem with Subaru Bulldog Twyford.  Not even a raised eyebrow at the mods, they all seem to be car enthusiasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, knightryder said:

There's no point, I haven't seen any worth the bother..... plus have you seen the cost?

Just wondered out loud.  Back in the days of the Mini and Escort cams were all the rage.  I guess they are much better optimised these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MartinT said:

Just wondered out loud.  Back in the days of the Mini and Escort cams were all the rage.  I guess they are much better optimised these days.

The engine runs out of flow at higher RPM and the cams don't seem to be the issue, the article below suggests a 4-6% increase on a FI car which is the best I've seen  ..... plus they are ~£1.5k (4 cams to replace).

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/hks-260266-cams-go-for-a-spin/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MartinT said:

I've never had a problem with Subaru Bulldog Twyford.  Not even a raised eyebrow at the mods, they all seem to be car enthusiasts.

Agree. They are fantastic! Cant match a Toyota for servicing price, thats all but its the huge volumes that help them i guess. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got mine booked in late May with Subaru Sheffield. Really put my mind at ease. Knew all about it, was aware of the problems that have been happening and assured me all would be fine.

They’ve got a few in for it as well so plenty of practice before mine. Feeling a bit more relaxed about it all now. 

Recommend giving them a call if you’re near Sheffield at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I popped into my local dealer (WR Davies in Telford) and they are aware of the recall. They say that not all dealers are ready as they’re waiting on tooling/racking/parts etc.

They also said some dealers were chosen to trial the work and give feedback to HQ for any suggestions/alterations to proceedings. My guess is that Toyota want to make sure everything’s good before they give a green light to the entire dealer network.

They are acutely aware of turbo/supercharger upgrades and the extra work involved for the recall with modified cars like this. They may be choosing certain dealers to recommend to customers with such modifications (or maybe even instruct customers to take their vehicles to?!).

WR Davies were interested in what I knew so far from the forums and club etc, but were still encouraging me to ‘WAIT OUT’ (as military types might say!) until they get in touch with me.

With all the information available to date, my opinion is still that dealers will let customers know when they’re told by Toyota. But if a dealer isn’t told yet, and aren’t inquisitive or pushing Toyota for info, then they’ll just do what they’re told, when they’re told!

There’s still no point in fretting about it 🙂  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My car has now had a proper test, having covered 500 miles or so since the recall ten days ago and also racing in the Toyota Sprint Series/Japanese Sprint Series yesterday at Cadwell, I won both classes convincingly with a 2.9 second lead and got 4th overall in the TSS and fastest NA overall.  :)

So it's doing just fine and feels great with the new clutch. :)

 

IMG_7932.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thanks for all the post I found them rather interesting, looking here https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker I used just to double check! and my 62 plate gt86 was definitely on the recall list (and yes) we can definitely establish it is, so basically, my local Toyota dealer is obliged to fix this valve issue free of charge?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Benjie_2 said:

 

 so basically, my local Toyota dealer is obliged to fix this valve issue free of charge?   

Yes of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 7:24 PM, Lauren said:

Yes of course. 

Well, Lauren, the recall was back in March, it's now may I did ring up Toyota main branch & spoke with a young lady there, who just sounded more like an automated machine, and really did not show much interest in giving me any real guidance, all she really said Toyota will write to me!! my response in this post was April 7 and as you can see I have gotten no were with them calling me in.

So again today I check at https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

And I got more are less the same kind of message...

(Recall Checker:

To find out whether a current safety recall includes your vehicle we have developed a 3 step process below.

Confirmation:
We have identified that your Toyota is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall.

This can be rectified at no cost.)

 

What's going on with these guys are they stooling for more time?? ^_^

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Benjie_2 said:

Well, Lauren, the recall was back in March, it's now may I did ring up Toyota main branch & spoke with a young lady there, who just sounded more like an automated machine, and really did not show much interest in giving me any real guidance, all she really said Toyota will write to me!! my response in this post was April 7 and as you can see I have gotten no were with them calling me in.

So again today I check at https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

And I got more are less the same kind of message...

(Recall Checker:

To find out whether a current safety recall includes your vehicle we have developed a 3 step process below.

Confirmation:
We have identified that your Toyota is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall.

This can be rectified at no cost.)

 

What's going on with these guys are they stooling for more time?? ^_^

 

   

Most probably lack of knowledge in carrying out the task🤕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Benjie_2 said:

 

 

What's going on with these guys are they stooling for more time?? ^_^

 

   

Nobody has had a letter yet, they will go out eventually I suspect. Some dealers are doing the recalls ahead of others. Someone at your dealer will know, you just spoke to the wrong person. There is no rush to get this done in all honesty. Your options are to wait or to contact your dealer again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 5:42 AM, Lauren said:

Nobody has had a letter yet, they will go out eventually I suspect. Some dealers are doing the recalls ahead of others. Someone at your dealer will know, you just spoke to the wrong person. There is no rush to get this done in all honesty. Your options are to wait or to contact your dealer again. 

 

I know your right Lauren, guest I get impatient waiting on Toyota, it's just like you said, some dealers are way ahead on this, for instance, when the recall first popped up in March a Toyota dealer where I took my vehicle for a service, about 10 miles from my home phoned me asking me to bring my vehicle in to there branch, but I declined saying I wanted to use my local branch a 20 min's drive away from my house.  

So I will sit and wait like everyone else around here.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Looking at getting my recall done and the major service at the same time! Has anyone used Bath Platinum Toyota or Swindon Fish Bros Toyota garages? If so what are they like?

Is there anything else worth getting changed when the recall is done? Car is on 54k miles 13 plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously get the spark plugs changed. Up to you with the clutch, 54k miles is not a lot for a clutch if driven well. If you do want to get the cluch changed get your dealer to order it asap as they are on back order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×