Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

1 hour ago, Lowe said:

Compressed air lines I'd imagine to open up the valves.

Well, to close the valves and hold them in place whilst the springs are changed. 

On 5/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, james_ly said:

I bought my car last month from Bristol North Motorline, they did the recall as part of the inspection. I've had no problems, you'd never know they touched it.

Thats really good to hear, hoping for a good experience. If they do a good job they will be my go to, they are 25/30 mins down the motorway for me but a good garage/dealer is worth it!

Just had mine done at RRG Maccelsfield by Gary who sent me boat loads of pictures of it being done, also had the plugs changed and a full service, i'm a very happy chappy and next week my wifes 86 will be there for more of the same

Has anyone had their recall performed by Jemca Reading or Jemca Bracknell yet? I've seen one guy on the other forum used Reading and has an oil leak which fills me with dread 😕

While looking to buy my 86 I visited Jemca Bracknell and was really surprised at how poorly the car they had was prepared for sale. Was approved used as well! May or may not be an indication of their standards as a whole, but it gave me a poor impression of the place!

1 hour ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

Well I picked the car up last night from RRG Macc  after having the recall done and it's absolutely brilliant , the full service was well worth it Inc greasing the clutch release bearing. Very happy indeed

Good to here, I’m TD turbo’d too and am hoping to get it done through RRG at some point. 

On 6/14/2019 at 4:37 PM, GT_86 said:

While looking to buy my 86 I visited Jemca Bracknell and was really surprised at how poorly the car they had was prepared for sale. Was approved used as well! May or may not be an indication of their standards as a whole, but it gave me a poor impression of the place!

Yeah it certainly doesn't surprise me to be honest, it's why I normally go to Reading instead for any servicing 

Hello fellow owners, help needed. My car was for a 70k miles service last week so I enquired about that recall and the dealership said that they don't have tools to carry out the repair yet (???) . I am based in East Kilbride, Scotland. My spark plugs were not touched as well since beginning of the life of this car (I was told that everything is fine, no misfiring or engine error codes). The mileage is 65k now so I still thought they could suggest something. Anyway, could any of you suggest a dealership that will be happy to deal with the valve springs and still is close enough to avoid traveling 6+ hours one way? I am happy to sacrifice few days to have it sorted and forget about it later. The engine is NA, so pretty standard. Your help would be appreciated.

Greg.

Never mind, got it booked for September. Went online and started calling all dealerships . Western Toyota were happy to help. Fair distance but they know what to do! Cheers.

@Gregski They will change your spark plugs for cost of the plugs as they have to come out anyway to do the recall. Up to you about the clutch, 70k miles is not a lot for a clutch, but it may be worth replacing depending upon how it was driven. Again no labour charge for this. 

Yes, I went for the plugs and clutch as well. Shame the local dealer didn't mention the Western Toyota in February / March when I was enquiring about the recall...

@James18

Morning All.. Had mine returned to me yesterday following the spring replacement; took it to Platinum in Trowbridge and was really impressed with the service and the way they dealt with it. I still haven't received a letter yet, but wasn't going to wait for one - so I phoned them up earlier in the month, they were really helpful and slotted it in within a few weeks!

It had its 6yr service recently, so plugs didn't need to be changed, and the engine has only done 35k so I didn't need the clutch either. Few new pipes, air-con refill, oil filter etc (as per the norm). The technican said that the coolant was replaced (obviously) - so it shouldn't need changing on the 10yr service, which is good to know. Speaking to the technicans (sorry if I'm repeating what might already be on here), they have to be trained especially for the task - there aren't many of them that can do the job, and I think they can only do one at a time too because of space in the workshop. Nathan and Joe have done a few between them now though, and I haven't got any complaints; no leaks yet!!

Thanks to Darrell for organising it too - he's been giving me daily progress reports/images and a visual inspection sheet, and they stuck absolutely to the timescale that they gave me originally.

So, all's well that ends well!

I've attached a few images - just the ones that aren't likely to just be repeats of what's come before. I'll report back if I have any problems, in the meantime...

Nice to be able to swap back in the Yaris/Aygo/whatever it was, for my 86 - and a blast home :)

EXTRA PHOTO 1.jpg

EXTRA PHOTO 4.jpg

EXTRA PHOTO 8.jpg

My local dealership (RMB Teesside) has started doing the repair works as I've seen a fellow member discussing it, so i rang up and inquired about booking it in but they have twice fobbed me off saying they will ring me back to book a slot (has anyone in the history of the world had a call back from a dealership?!). All I can do is keep trying i guess because i feel i might be waiting a long time if i leave it for them to contact me!

1 hour ago, TomsGT86 said:

My local dealership (RMB Teesside) has started doing the repair works as I've seen a fellow member discussing it, so i rang up and inquired about booking it in but they have twice fobbed me off saying they will ring me back to book a slot (has anyone in the history of the world had a call back from a dealership?!). All I can do is keep trying i guess because i feel i might be waiting a long time if i leave it for them to contact me!

Some are good some are crap end of story last phone call I was waiting for  was 3 years and still waiting 🙄

3 hours ago, TomsGT86 said:

Had the same issue with my local (Westover Salisbury) rang them twice now.. "oh yeah yeah we'll give you a call back when someone's available to talk to you about it" 

There should be no issue providing you have received a Recall Notice (Letter) from Toyota UK.

My car may have to go to RRG because of the Extra Wiring under the bonnet for the Gauges, Front Revolving Number Plate etc.....as Motorline Gatwick and Horsham Dealerships have said to me that they not supposed to be dealing with Modifications under the Bonnet on these Recalls !!

From what I understand there is an agreement with RRG and Motorline to do this type of work on their behalf for the Client, but know doubt Richard will comment in due course on this Thread......

My car has now covered = 112,858 miles from New !

Sent from my ASUS_A001 using Tapatalk

I'm really surprised that some people are having issues with making contact with the local dealerships. The one I went to were desperate to be as helpful as possible (and i haven't received my letter!) and the techies I spoke to said that they're aware of the significance of communication between owners on forums like this one - particularly with cars like the 86... I hope all of you who are having issues get it sorted.

I wonder if the same work can be done (on the 86) by subaru? I think there are less of them - but might be closer to some of us?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, PeterH said:

I wonder if the same work can be done (on the 86) by subaru? I think there are less of them - but might be closer to some of us?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

No, it can't. Toyota are paying for it. So you can't take a Toyota to a Subaru dealer for the work and vice-versa. 

23 hours ago, TomsGT86 said:

I'm considering using RMB Teesside also, so keeping an eye on this thread. RMD Darlington is nearer, but it's more confidence inspiring when you know a dealership has experience of several cars.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:46 PM, Rzezniq said:

I got my recall done at Bristol Motorline South. I've driven 70 miles since in a very spirited way and the car seems fine. Paul (master technician there) seems to be knowledgeable and familiar with pitfalls associated with this job. 

I have my 14 plate 86 booked for mid July at the same place so good to hear all is good after your recall. I explained to them i'm running Evans waterless coolant in my engine for the past 4 years and would like it replaced as it's costly to have to buy again. They said no issues. As our 86 is used daily but not many miles so only clocked up 14.5k it's just going to have the plugs replaced. Why i'm back on this form to see what is good to buy for them to fit 

It's been some time since I checked at https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker  after checking yet again, now it's telling me they can not find my car in there database, hahahahaha crazy carry on with this Recall, I think the actual Recall was back in March? (4) months later I'm still waiting patiently!! but my GT86 is due it's MOT next months, does anyone know if this will have any effect on the MOT? at the test station, I take it to.

Should I now contact Toyota to find out why my vehicle has not been called in yet?