Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

Eugh. I can see myself getting into a formal argument with Toyota if that’s the case, either that or just leaving the current valve springs in as I haven’t experienced any problems...yet. All depends on what Toyota tell me about the turbo. I think more research on the importance of valve springs is needed before I make a decision etc. We will see. Headache *thumbs down* 

Thanks knightryder

Thanks for some very helpful comments on here. 

Going to Toyota with forced induction will add an interesting complication to the replacement process requiring negotiation  and additional cost I would imagine.  Not sure I want a Toyota technician doing major work on my engine and then expecting it to be re-installed successfully.  Certainly my local dealership does not like having anything to do with Subaru engines, in my experience so far.  Hence why I take it to a Subaru dealership for servicing.  I doubt whether Toyota would pay for me to have it fixed by Subaru, but I might ask. 

11 minutes ago, Subota Boy said:

Thanks for some very helpful comments on here. 

Going to Toyota with forced induction will add an interesting complication to the replacement process requiring negotiation  and additional cost I would imagine.  Not sure I want a Toyota technician doing major work on my engine and then expecting it to be re-installed successfully.  Certainly my local dealership does not like having anything to do with Subaru engines, in my experience so far.  Hence why I take it to a Subaru dealership for servicing.  I doubt whether Toyota would pay for me to have it fixed by Subaru, but I might ask. 

That’s what I’m thinking. I don’t like anyone other than the likes of TD and Fensport touching my car. Whatever the Toyota dealership do, it won’t be right as they didn’t install it the modifications to start with. I’m being negative here but putting trust in Toyota over parts they don’t have true knowledge on is hard. 

I think I will just monitor other owners experience with this, see what the dealership says come December/January when we get the letter (so I’ve read somewhere). Maybe I’m being pedantic but who knows 

41 minutes ago, DGT86R said:

That’s what I’m thinking. I don’t like anyone other than the likes of TD and Fensport touching my car. Whatever the Toyota dealership do, it won’t be right as they didn’t install it the modifications to start with. I’m being negative here but putting trust in Toyota over parts they don’t have true knowledge on is hard. 

I think I will just monitor other owners experience with this, see what the dealership says come December/January when we get the letter (so I’ve read somewhere). Maybe I’m being pedantic but who knows 

I'm in the same boat I have a low mileage engine and I'm going to let a bunch of clueless people play with it say it fails shortly after and they say it wasn't anything we touched past experience tells me I'd be flogging a dead horse trying to get it sorted

Having explored the  'potential damage' due to failure in my own mind (and posted my thoughts), I think it's also important to consider the likelihood of failure and adopt a pragmatic/realistic stance on it.

Regarding modifications I understand Toyota's attitude is that warranty etc remains valid on any parts not directly affected by the modifications.

To my mind valve springs are unlikely to have had any extra stresses effecting them due to forced induction. If anything it would be the running surfaces of the top of the valve stem/follower/cam lobe due to higher cylinder pressures during initial opening... maybe... 🤔

High engine rpm is more likely to influence stress/strain on the springs due to faster load cycling and the potential for valve bounce.

I understand that fitting stronger valve springs/double valve springs is a way to reduce/eliminate valve bounce at high rpm, but this is more the preserve of highly strung race engines (10k rpm or higher?) as far as I'm aware?!

Realistically I think it's pointless worrying too much about the situation until the bulletins/letters are released by Toyota/Subaru.

Yes the likelihood of failure is a concern, but if you're personally that worried don't thrash you car for the next couple of months and see what the manufacturers have to say...

2 hours ago, GT86-Ian said:

I Think Toyota need to provide some sort of warranty after this work has been completed, Also I cant see them touching any forced induction cars.

They have to do it, forced induction or not. Whether or not they will look to charge for the extra work required is something that is worth checking with your dealer. I would just approach it at the time. I mean it's only unbolting a few more things and then bolting them together again. 

There's a whole load of people getting into a flap about it. I'm not worried myself, it has to be done, it'll get done and be fine, erm that's it. Sure RRG know what they are doing and I trust them completely with my car. 

I don’t think they’d like to do it, but they’d have to. If I didn’t have any modifications to the engine I would have the exact same approach as you Lauren. Take it to be done and that’s that. But it isn’t just a few bolts job done...they won’t remember what bolts and where, how things were mounted, what they do etc as they didn’t modify it nor do they deal with those parts, so they wouldn’t know. Imagine if they thought they had finished reinstalling the mods only to find a piece or pieces left over, they aren’t going to know what they are for, why would they. If I had a standard engine I wouldn’t be bothered, but I dont...hence why I’m a bit worried 😂 but as tommy said, pointless worrying yet until we hear from Toyota themselves 

5 hours ago, nikndel said:

I'm in the same boat I have a low mileage engine and I'm going to let a bunch of clueless people play with it say it fails shortly after and they say it wasn't anything we touched past experience tells me I'd be flogging a dead horse trying to get it sorted

Take it to rayleigh.  What could possibly go wrong.... :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Take it to rayleigh.  What could possibly go wrong.... :ph34r:

Dare you first mines off the road now not even checked if it's on list rumours are the first cars built are the best 😜

On 03/11/2018 at 6:13 PM, Lauren said:

TRD's were available from March 13. Your's could well have sat around in the dealers etcetera, or perhaps it was one of the  last to have the bodykit fitted. You can check online. 

Mine isn't a TRD. 

I have just called my local Toyota dealer, and mine is due for the recall :(. However, they are waiting from Toyota to find out what parts are needed etc. They will be in touch, so will wait to hear from them. I can only assume they will want the car for 1 week to carry out the work. 

2 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Our reg must be almost Identical then haha

Yup, I think we were parked next to each other at the Sunday Service a couple of weeks ago :)

Press cars! 

Anyway I best stop detailing the thread :D 

Edit: isn’t this your exact car?

Going to be interesting , tbh it is a fairly major strip down , motor out , timing chain cover off , timing chain off , cam  carrier off , then we fit valve springs without removing the cylinder heads, we have a tool made to allow the spring to be removed with the cylinder head in situ. Hold the valves in position with compressed air. But would I want a dealer working on our car I dont know TBH never had much confidence in our local dealer.

22 hours ago, Lauren said:

I'm not worried myself

It's easy to say that when your is one of the straightforward ones. ;) You have to remember that most of the PD superchargers will require coolant draining and correctly re-filling. Turbos and centri-superchargers will require the pipework to be removed and ensured there are no leaks upon install. I would say that in most of these cases there will be some work involved by the owner to confirm everything is as it should be. Being one of a handful that self-installed for me it's not a big issue but I can understand why those who aren't so mechanically minded why it might be.

TBH I'm tempted to take the charger off of my car and trade it in, just because if I have to remove the blower myself I CBA or have the time to re-install it or be involved in the work required to do the above.

How's this going to impact on the second hand values of 2012/13 cars, Dealers & the public will most likely shy away from these vehicles even if the work has been done.

I wonder that as well, it’s ok buying one knowing it needs to be done but then there’s the what if something goes wrong it could soon turn into a nightmare for that person.

I am still looking but now not sure I’d buy one needing this work done even though it would go to RRG Macc 

Going off rough numbers on how many left, I think around half of all GT86's will be affected by this recall. Most were sold early on, and a trickle since. Makes sense, as most people on the forum seem to be affected.

Call it roughly 2500 cars. There's 177 Toyota dealers in the UK, so that's an average of 14 engine removal and strip downs each. Given most Toyota dealers probably haven't taken apart a boxer engine before this is going to get very interesting. That's before you take into account that a relatively high ratio of 86's will be modified.

2 hours ago, maurice said:

Call it roughly 2500 cars. There's 177 Toyota dealers in the UK, so that's an average of 14 engine removal and strip downs each. Given most Toyota dealers probably haven't taken apart a boxer engine before this is going to get very interesting. That's before you take into account that a relatively high ratio of 86's will be modified.

It's 3505 cars in total in the UK.