Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

This is not what I want to be reading!

Its a nervous enough time already without hearing the worse case scenario seems to be coming true.

We are lucky North America started first and has highlighted the problem. Feel very sorry for those affected and hope they get their cars sorted with no cost. 

22 minutes ago, GT86-Ian said:

Who says you need to have this work carried out this year just wait wait then wait some more. 

It's likely it will take well over a year to get done anyway, so you don't have to all rush into your dealer if you don't want to. 

2 hours ago, Dennis Wilson said:

Confused about this one is the recall just going to be 62-63 plates or is it likely to be an issue in 14 plate and on wards? 

Just 2012-13 cars so unlikely to affect 14 plates onwards unless they'd sat around unregistered for a long time 

8 hours ago, Church said:

Oh. do post all details. Like first man in space :)

Boldly goes where no Gary has been before don't worry it's in good hands.

Gary has been giving me updates. Reckons the timing chains look like new. He was impressed with the condition of what he saw of my engine saying it was a lot better than many others he had seen, which surprised me given my high mileage. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Also my clutch still had a good amount of life in it, even after 126,000 miles. Impressive. :)

image.png

image.png

Richard called today about the upcoming sprint season which is another story and said that Gary had done the work and my engine goes back in tomorrow. :)

Just registered today after being a lurker for a year, I have a 2013 car too, i'll be using Jemca in Reading for the recall eventually, I'm a little unsure about if i want to be their first though :) 

Thanks for the updates Lauren, I only found out about this from seeing posts of FRS on fire in the r/ft86 subreddit so it's nice to see some more reassuring information in here and gt86ownersclub.co.uk

All going well, more pics from Gary this afternoon. Engine is now back together completely and I expect tomorrow will be putting it back in. I appreciate it that RRG have taken their time with my car to get it right. :) 

@Rob230 I have a friend who's car is going into Jemca Reading tomorrow night. She said that they have told her it will be ready for Saturday. I have my doubts! But good luck. :)

55817168_837012096661142_8679677929354952704_n.jpg

55487323_422368545238873_8786372085288009728_n.jpg

12 hours ago, Lauren said:

@Rob230 I have a friend who's car is going into Jemca Reading tomorrow night. She said that they have told her it will be ready for Saturday. I have my doubts! But good luck. :)

That's strange as I spoke to them yesterday and they said they didn't have all the tools yet and their techs were yet to be trained in the specific procedure. Maybe they gave me old information though, I wish your friend the best of luck! 

19 minutes ago, Rob230 said:

That's strange as I spoke to them yesterday and they said they didn't have all the tools yet and their techs were yet to be trained in the specific procedure. Maybe they gave me old information though, I wish your friend the best of luck! 

I had a feeling that may be the case! 🤣I suspect my friend will find out tonight! 

Quick update. Engine is back in and running and all sorted. I have another issue that RRG are looking at first thing in the morning with a noisy steering issue that may be related to my poly bushes on the rack. This is why it's taken a bit longer, but RRG want to check the fluid levels in the morning. I will check when I pick up (likely Saturday morning) whether the oil and coolant is changed or not. :)

Sorry if you already mentioned this and I missed it: what future warranty are they offering you on this work? ie you had a perfectly good engine, if it fails in a year do you have any comeback?

Even if the failure was due to the rework it can be very difficult to successfully argue the point. 

Not saying you’re doing the wrong thing getting the work done, only interested because my car also needs the rework and the dealer is being slow to get back to me. I may take elsewhere but Subaru dealers are in short supply. Whilst it is the same work as the Toyota, I doubt a Toyota dealership would take it on. 

Well, the work will be under warranty for a year. So if the engine fails due to the work carried out then the dealer will have to foot the bill. If it's going to fail as a result of the work it's going to do it sooner rather than later. A Toyota dealer will not do the work on a BRZ, you will have to go to Subaru. 

On 3/26/2019 at 7:44 PM, Lauren said:

He was impressed with the condition of what he saw of my engine saying it was a lot better than many others he had seen, which surprised me given my high mileage. 

Been away for a few days, so I've just seen this.

Can you elaborate on what Gary means by 'a lot better than many others he had seen'. Is he referring to FA20 engines that he's seen or just Toyota engines in general? 

If he's meaning that you're FA20 is better than other FA20, I wonder;

a.) What's the reason they are seeing the inside of the FA20 on such a regular occurrence that they can make the comparison

b.) What special sauce are you using to keep your engine healthy? A regular Italian tune-up, fuel type (vPower, Momentum etc), oil, any additives?

Mines a daily driver and anything that I can do to keep it healthy and reliable is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quite frankly you'd have to ask Gary for what he means by that definition. I keep my engine healthy by always servicing it on time, treating it sympathetically and I have only ever used V Power. I don't use any additives. He commented with the clutch wear that a good driver makes quite a difference to overall car condition. 

3 hours ago, MartinT said:

You didn't fancy swapping for more aggressive cams while they were out, Lauren?

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

Couldn't see any point. I use my car everyday, it's hardcore enough as it is. 😂 I have though quietened the exhaust a fair bit lately. 

Just booked mine in for 16th April at Ron Brooks in Mansfield - after calling a few local dealers last week and not even being able to find somewhere (other than Macc) that were taking bookings until "the letter" arrives, I popped into RB today to try and get an aircon regas and ended up chatting about the recall to find out they did one last week!

Got my car back today. It feels super sharp and quick compared to the Blue Edition I've been driving all week. It's worth noting that you effectively get a free intermediate service as the oil and filter are changed as is the coolant (which saves me having it done at 140K). The aircon is recharged too. 

I had a new clutch fitted and looking at the old one, it was getting a bit low so perfect timing. Clutch feels lovely and light, nice. A huge thanks to Gary and Richard at RRG Macclesfield for doing a great job and a great service as they always do. :)

This time next weekend I will be sprinting at Cadwell. Can't wait. Just need to new poly ARB mounts fitted next week once they come in to sort the creaky steering issue. One of the ARB mounts got cooked by the overpipe over 110k miles, so may put some wrap round it soon. 

IMG_7910.JPG

IMG_7911.JPG