Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

15 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

I will recheck the latest comments. When I asked about the springs he said mark at abbey had ID them as the old springs and quoted the part number.

The said 2014 car has the original valve springs fitted,  it seems it was just a batch of springs made to the same part number that was to fault and this was fitted to 2012/2013 cars,.

Toyota have now superseded the valve spring part number for the earlier cars to a later part number that is used on re-call work.

I haven't had a reply  to my question from my Parts supply if the original part number for 2012/2013 cars is the same as this 2014 car but I am expecting it is.

Not all cars have had this valve spring issue but the 2014 is the 1st car I had actually seen a broken valve spring for myself. Car would misfire at idle , compressions all good, valve clearances all good but the valve with the broken spring felt soft due to 1 coil be broken at the top of the valve spring 

As I said on Facebook thanks for clearing up the confusion. I think the owners comments made us misinterprete what was going on at first. 

I assume this has caused some internal damage to the engine? 

The BRZ is in the shop for a couple of jobs, one of which was a sump baffle. Upon inspection of the oil strainer it appears an amount (sorry no photo) of sealant was present. If you’ve had your recall done, I guess an inspection at a subsequent service may not be a bad decision.

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can you inspect it without taking the sump off? If not, it turns a service into a 2 day job...

I can't see how, but I'm not a mechanic. For me, leaving it with them overnight is not a big issue, but I can appreciate it is an inconvenience - each of us has to weigh risk as they see fit.