Deacon

Deacons '86

Have to wait and see, the new Yokohama V701 is 300 and takes a lot longer to warm up over the V105 that is 240. Shame they can't standardise across manufacturers.

3 minutes ago, KevinA said:

Have to wait and see, the new Yokohama V701 is 300 and takes a lot longer to warm up over the V105 that is 240. Shame they can't standardise across manufacturers.

Yep never understood this - makes it such a random measurement under the current system.

I'm pretty sure that the RSR's I had before we're something like treadwear 240 and they're massively softer than the Cup2's rated at 180.

Seems to just be a case of 'pick a number. Any number'.

14 hours ago, Cerastes said:

Thanks I was looking on black circles and they didn't come up with stock sizes. 

14 hours ago, Deacon said:

Tyre Leader is a very good website for cheap tyres. I've ordered a couple of times from there.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/michelin/pilot-sport-4/215-45-zr17-91y-448164

Wheels arrived today to go with the PS4's. They are Autec Wizards in 18x8" et35.

IMG_20170518_162850_01_Hagrid.jpg

The wheels weigh 9.6kg's each. The ps4's in 225/40/18 also weigh 9.6kg so the combined package is 19.2kg a wheel and tyre. Definitely not the lightest but also not terrible and not a million miles from the stock wheel and tyre combos weight.

I bought these to use as my summer road wheels and wet track duty after seeing them on a car at Santa Pod recently and really liking the way they looked so in that sense weight wasn't really a driving force (otherwise I'd have stuck with my usual choice of 17's). I've never had 18's on my 86 so I'll be interested to see if there's any noticeable difference.

They'll either be on the car this weekend or next depending on what the weather is looking like for the club blyton park event.

Not too bad. About the same weight as my Team Dynamics in the same size. I was happy that they were near to stock weight but bigger.

I'm running the usual Yokohamas on mine and love it. Not too much wheel/tyre. It'll still move about but a little less twitchy. For the road I'm really happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gave the car a clean on Sunday day ready for Blyton Park next weekend. I used Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax which I haven't used on the 86 before but was a big fan of on my last car. 

IMG_20170521_140526_01_Hagrid_Black.jpg

It's not the most durable wax but it gives a beautiful shine as this reflection in the boot lid hopefully shows

IMG_20170521_133059_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

Pretty cheap, easy to apply and good results - I'll definitely use it again on the 86.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:13 PM, Deacon said:

Yep never understood this - makes it such a random measurement under the current system.

I'm pretty sure that the RSR's I had before we're something like treadwear 240 and they're massively softer than the Cup2's rated at 180.

Seems to just be a case of 'pick a number. Any number'.

Mitchelin/Yoko are probably being more honest whereas Federal want higher numbers as a good treadwear sells....

A video from Blyton Park on Saturday which gives a much better representation of the sound of the HKS Hi-Power Spec-L combined with the JDL catted uel manifold. Around town, etc it's really quiet but higher up in the rev range it has a really good sound.

On the subject of Blyton I did about 50 laps which came out as 74.5 miles on track and returned 13.4mpg.

A video from Blyton Park on Saturday which gives a much better representation of the sound of the HKS Hi-Power Spec-L combined with the JDL catted uel manifold. Around town, etc it's really quiet but higher up in the rev range it has a really good sound.

On the subject of Blyton I did about 50 laps which came out as 74.5 miles on track and returned 13.4mpg.

I reset my mpg in the afternoon after you'd asked, averaged 8.6mpg, the price of power!

8 hours ago, DanJ said:

I reset my mpg in the afternoon after you'd asked, averaged 8.6mpg, the price of power!

11.9mpg for me :lol:

Took my car to Moton yesterday to (finally) get my whiteline roll centre correction kit fitted and the car aligned.

Fitting went nice and smoothly. The alignment showed up what I'd thought - the settings were all over the place before (explains why it was feeling a bit out of sorts at Blyton on Saturday). I also had the back of the car lowered a touch as, having tried the car set up with and without rake, I found that without much rake seemed to suit me better.

When I'd last been at Moton it was just after I'd had my brake pads, discs, lines and fluid changed. James pointed out some wetness on the passenger side inner arch but it was a wet day so said to just keep my eye on it. From when the brake upgrade had been done I'd been a little disappointed as it felt a little 'spongy'. Fast forwards to yesterday and after completing the alignment and then just double checking everything it became obvious that there was a brake fluid weep on the passenger side where the hel line attaches to the OEM hard-line. The Hel line wasn't fully tightened on that side so with that now fixed the brakes are all I'd hoped for.

The roll centre correction kit and alignment have definitely helped the handling - the car feels so planted and responsive now. I had a very enjoyable journey back!

Thanks to @Mike and @will300 for input on their alignment setups which we used as the basis for my setup with a few tweeks suggested by Moton.

13 hours ago, Deacon said:

Fast forwards to yesterday and after completing the alignment and then just double checking everything it became obvious that there was a brake fluid weep on the passenger side where the hel line attaches to the OEM hard-line. The Hel line wasn't fully tightened on that side so with that now fixed the brakes are all I'd hoped for.

Worth keeping an eye on: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117090

HEL lines have a bit of a poor reputation for that kind of thing.

2 minutes ago, knightryder said:

Worth keeping an eye on: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117090

HEL lines have a bit of a poor reputation for that kind of thing.

As do the goodridge from when I was looking before. This does simply seem to be a case of them not being properly tightened when installed though thankfully but I will be keeping an eye on them for the next few weeks to be double sure!

13 hours ago, Deacon said:

Thanks to @Mike and @will300 for input on their alignment setups which we used as the basis for my setup with a few tweeks suggested by Moton.

What is your setup now? I've not really done much with mine, I should really get some LCAs so I can get the rear camber sorted.

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

What is your setup now? I've not really done much with mine, I should really get some LCAs so I can get the rear camber sorted.

Alignment wise it's:-

-1°.50' camber rear

+0°.09' toe rear

-2°.30' camber front

-0°.06' toe front

+5°.58' castor front

I've not got rear lca's but have the whiteline camber bushes which seem to have enough adjustment for the settings I want.

3 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Alignment wise it's:-

-1°.50' camber rear

+0°.09' toe rear

-2°.30' camber front

-0°.06' toe front

I've not got rear lca's but have the whiteline camber bushes which seem to have enough adjustment for the settings I want.

Similar setup to what I just posted haha, got a little more camber on mine. 

Just now, Rich said:

What's the effect of the toe settings? I'm a bit of an alignment noob.

The front toe should make it a little more pointy but also a little unstable in a straight-line / under braking. The rear toe should make it more stable and heat the rear tyres quicker I understand.

Toe out on the front, right? Not found mine to be unstable at speed in a straight line, seems to follow the road a bit more so can feel like it's pulling left when the road is cambered.