Deacon

Deacons '86

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

Bumpy section, downhill into cascades (left hander in the middle of the circuit)?

Or maybe down the hill into knickerbrook (right left chicane)?

Both of these sound quite plausible! 

Thought I'd give a bit of an update on the upgraded brake set up I had fitted. The upgrade was a set of stoptech centric discs, project mu hc800+ pads, Hel lines and ferodo dot 5.1 fluid. I already had a set of 911 gt3 brake ducts fitted too.

For normal road use the brakes are definitely not as sharp as the stock set up which is mainly due to the pads needing a bit more temperature to get working properly.

At Oulton Park on Friday the brakes obviously got far more of a workout. Project mu talk about how progressive the brakes are in their literature and this is definitely true - much more so than the stock set up IMO. The initial travel on the pedal does not equate to the same level of braking that the stock set up gives feeling less 'assisted' than the stock set up but when you're further into the pedal travel the stopping power is very good. This seems to be an excellent set up for track work and trail braking as there is much more progressive braking to play with before hitting the 'meat' of the stopping power. I must admit though that I'm not 100% sold on it for my personal taste - I think I prefer the more linear feel of something like the stock set up. However this may just be a case of being very used to the stock set up after 4 years and something different feeling odd. I experienced no brake fade at all on any of the sessions I ran (max 20 mins) but obviously the weather wasn't the greatest - it'll be interesting to see how they hold up on a hotter, drier day which will place more demands on them.

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

Did you notice much difference from the GT3 brake ducts?

It's hard to say on their own. They've been on for about a year but until Oulton I'd only done sprints which obviously don't really tax the brakes much. For the price they seem a bit of a no brainier to be honest.

2 hours ago, Deacon said:

Thought I'd give a bit of an update on the upgraded brake set up I had fitted. The upgrade was a set of stoptech centric discs, project mu hc800+ pads, Hel lines and ferodo dot 5.1 fluid. I already had a set of 911 gt3 brake ducts fitted too.

For normal road use the brakes are definitely not as sharp as the stock set up which is mainly due to the pads needing a bit more temperature to get working properly.

At Oulton Park on Friday the brakes obviously got far more of a workout. Project mu talk about how progressive the brakes are in their literature and this is definitely true - much more so than the stock set up IMO. The initial travel on the pedal does not equate to the same level of braking that the stock set up gives feeling less 'assisted' than the stock set up but when you're further into the pedal travel the stopping power is very good. This seems to be an excellent set up for track work and trail braking as there is much more progressive braking to play with before hitting the 'meat' of the stopping power. I must admit though that I'm not 100% sold on it for my personal taste - I think I prefer the more linear feel of something like the stock set up. However this may just be a case of being very used to the stock set up after 4 years and something different feeling odd. I experienced no brake fade at all on any of the sessions I ran (max 20 mins) but obviously the weather wasn't the greatest - it'll be interesting to see how they hold up on a hotter, drier day which will place more demands on them.

Something doesn't sound right to me. Once they are bedded in and warm/hot they offer a lot more initial bite than the stock pads. iirc.

This "initial travel" is either the pads not bedded properly or something else like air in the system. Pedal should only start "sinking" under hard braking when they start to fade. They'll be smoking at that point. 

I get this issue with my cosworth brakes. Driving on public roads they dont get enough of a workout and come the trackday, it takes me the first couple sessions to get the initial sharpness back. 

Not saying that it the issue, but I distinctly remember loving the initial bite they gave (once bedded in), and going back to stock after them it felt distinctly lacking in bite/friction and a lot more pedal travel to lock the wheels. 

4 minutes ago, Ade said:

Something doesn't sound right to me. Once they are bedded in and warm/hot they offer a lot more initial bite than the stock pads. iirc.

This "initial travel" is either the pads not bedded properly or something else like air in the system. Pedal should only start "sinking" under hard braking when they start to fade. They'll be smoking at that point. 

I get this issue with my cosworth brakes. Driving on public roads they dont get enough of a workout and come the trackday, it takes me the first couple sessions to get the initial sharpness back. 

Not saying that it the issue, but I distinctly remember loving the initial bite they gave (once bedded in), and going back to stock after them it felt distinctly lacking in bite/friction and a lot more pedal travel to lock the wheels. 

Cheers @Ade. I'll keep my eye on it and maybe get @Riceburner to check it out when it's in for it's service and MOT soon.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Did you notice much difference from the GT3 brake ducts?

I fitted this as a mod in isolation. I fitted the GT3 ducts and remove the disc backing plate. Same pads and discs, and it made a noticeable improvement to me!

So after a few weeks with the stock exhaust and the JDL catted manifold on I've decided it's a bit too quiet so a new exhaust has been ordered and should be here in the next day or two.

I've also had my winter wheels refurbished as 1. I didn't like the chrome and 2. As I'd expected the chrome didn't like the salt on the roads. I haven't actually picked them up yet and so obviously they're not on the car yet but here's a teaser:-

IMG-20170228-WA0000.jpg

Just a touch different to the chrome 😁

Good news on the wheels. As you know I never liked the chrome. At least with a powder coat they don't seem to get affected by salt or brake dust, so it makes them dead easy to clean. 

1 hour ago, Ade said:

The silver bit on my wheels haven't coped that well in the winter. Powder coat next year me thinks.

Bronze :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

I'm looking forward to seeing them close up.

Mine are being done at the moment too, must be the season for it 😁

What colour you getting done mate?

New exhaust arrived today. It's the HKS HiPower Spec L with black carbon tips. HKS have recently revised the design a little so it's now listed as 90db with the carbon tips. This should work nicely with the JDL manifold to keep me track noise limit friendly. I'll hopefully get it fitted in the next few weeks and I'll post up some video clips when it's on.

Few pictures for now:-

IMG_20170314_193825_Hagrid_Black.jpg

IMG_20170314_195011_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

IMG_20170314_193845_Hagrid_Black.jpg

IMG_20170314_193804_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

Thanks to @James@Amber for the excellent service as always 👍

Once this is fitted I'll also (finally) be able to get the centre Valenti light fitted too.

New exhaust arrived today. It's the HKS HiPower Spec L with black carbon tips. HKS have recently revised the design a little so it's now listed as 90db with the carbon tips. This should work nicely with the JDL manifold to keep me track noise limit friendly. I'll hopefully get it fitted in the next few weeks and I'll post up some video clips when it's on.

Few pictures for now:-

IMG_20170314_193825_Hagrid_Black.jpg

IMG_20170314_195011_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

IMG_20170314_193845_Hagrid_Black.jpg

IMG_20170314_193804_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

Thanks to @James@Amber for the excellent service as always 👍

Once this is fitted I'll also (finally) be able to get the centre Valenti light fitted too.

Great choice, I have the same one and very pleased with it.

Looks bloody awesome. I had a similar HKS exhaust setup on my Altezza with the resonance chamber, it worked a treat for getting rid of annoying exhaust notes. Very quiet though!