Deacon

Deacons '86

Took a few more db readings today.

Cold start hits a peak of 85.4db before settling to about 77.5db before dropping to 72db and ending up in the high 60's (forgot to note down exactly what that was).

I also did a 5.5k rpm measurement from a meter away to the side at a 45° angle which came out as 91.3db.

For anyone looking for a subtle system or one that you can pair with a manifold and still keep a fairly low volume the Spec L looks tough to beat. I've still got the stock second cat and a small cat in the manifold but I doubt getting rid of either of these (or both) would put you above the 98db limit that seems to be on the stricter side for most tracks.

Finally got to put the new plate on at the weekend:-

IMG_20170429_122143_Hagrid_Black.jpg

I was also able to finally get the Do Luck's back and on. The initial refurb had problems so they were redone elsewhere.

I'm a little undecided on the shade of red and kind of wish I'd gone for something more on the blood red end of the spectrum. Maybe something for a future refurb!

IMG_20170430_203807_467.jpg

And big thank you to @LarmiqGt's girlfriend for the rolling shot:-

IMG_20170429_230343_633.jpg

@James@Amber kindly bought this to Japfest for me yesterday (plus chilly the penguin!)

IMG_20170501_161019_Hagrid_Black.jpg

It's an SPA signature series digital oil temperature and pressure gauge. I'm currently waiting on a block8head gauge pod which is on its was from America (by pigeon seemingly based on how long it's taking...)

I was going to get the gauge fitted at the same time as the oil cooler but I think I'm going to get the gauge and pod fitted first and do some monitoring of oil temperatures and pressures, both on the street and the track, before I decide for sure on the oil cooler fitting.

I'm hoping to get the gauge fitted sometime in the next month or so depending on when the pod actually arrives!

4 minutes ago, KevinA said:

What do they list the treadwear rating as, it is usually on the sidewall.

Tread wear is 320. Cup2's were next to them so I had a look at theirs for comparison - they're 180.

Trying to find a decent price on a set myself. 235/40's though. Found them for £117 each, but delivery only, and most tyre places don't like fitting tyres supplied by the customer. Pretty annoying.

5 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Ooo nice.

I can't find them tyres anywhere, well they not on alloy websites. 

You should be able to get them from any of the usual tyre places - black circles, oponeo, love tyres, etc

1 minute ago, S18 RSG said:

Trying to find a decent price on a set myself. 235/40's though. Found them for £117 each, but delivery only, and most tyre places don't like fitting tyres supplied by the customer. Pretty annoying.

I've never had any problems with this - usually use my local ATS.

Just now, Deacon said:

You should be able to get them from any of the usual tyre places - black circles, oponeo, love tyres, etc

+1 

Got mine from Black Circles. 

31 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Tread wear is 320. Cup2's were next to them so I had a look at theirs for comparison - they're 180.

That is interesting. V103's ae 300, V105's are 240. Looks like it might be a good tyre for track days, maybe if going on what Kev said of the V103's rings true. But probably not so for sprinting as a harder compound. 

7 minutes ago, Lauren said:

That is interesting. V103's ae 300, V105's are 240. Looks like it might be a good tyre for track days, maybe if going on what Kev said of the V103's rings true. But probably not so for sprinting as a harder compound. 

The treadwear ratings are not a standardised rating though sadly so comparing across manufacturers may not give a particularly great comparison. 

Just now, Cerastes said:

Thanks I was looking on black circles and they didn't come up with stock sizes. 

No problem. Tyre guru seems the cheapest I can see so far. Stock size seems to be more than I paid for the ones I got though!

14 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Yea that is weird, more rubber should = higher price. 

More common sizes tend to be cheaper. If you look at a set diameter wheel and then change the widths you'll find some are much cheaper than others, and it's not necessarily the wider the more expensive they get. I reckon the OEM tyre size isn't a common size for performance tyres.