Deacon

Deacons '86

9 hours ago, Deacon said:

Outside

That's pretty normal, most are 2.5" O.D

If you have a moment, could you measure the circumference and length of the Helmholtz?, as well as the pipe circumference and length that connects it to the main pipe? 

27 minutes ago, Ade said:

If you have a moment, could you measure the circumference and length of the Helmholtz?, as well as the pipe circumference and length that connects it to the main pipe? 

I'll try after work. At the moment it's repacked up in the box and a bit (lot in fact) of a git to get out and then put back!

27 minutes ago, Ade said: That's pretty normal, most are 2.5" O.D

I'll try after work. At the moment it's repacked up in the box and a bit (lot in fact) of a git to get out and then put back!

No worries. Was just interested in the tuning frequency.

11 hours ago, Ade said:

The Helmholtz is 360mm long and the circumference is 330mm.

The pipe is approximately 130mm long and has a circumference of 140mm.

Does that help @Ade?

I dropped my car off at RRG yesterday for its second MOT, fourth year service and for the recall to be done.

While I was there I had a good look around and sit in the facelift car. I wasn't a fan from pictures but I do think it looks much better in person. The inside is definitely a step up - I really like the new wheel and the alcantara touches definitely lift it. I also liked how much more finished the armrest seemed to make the inside so I've ordered one for my car today.

17 minutes ago, Paul said:

Armrest is one of those mods where the moment you have it you wonder how you lived without it!

I think I must be one of the few that doesn't want one. Though I don't use the centre console for drinks (door bin is better for my coffee), I do like to have my sunglasses and vapouriser to hand in the centre console, so I've never wanted the armrest. It looks nice, but I'm not sure it's practical for me at least. 

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

I think I must be one of the few that doesn't want one. Though I don't use the centre console for drinks (door bin is better for my coffee), I do like to have my sunglasses and vapouriser to hand in the centre console, so I've never wanted the armrest. It looks nice, but I'm not sure it's practical for me at least. 

For motorway cruising etc I usually only have right hand on the wheel, I like being able to rest my left elbow on the armrest rather than having it sink into the armrest. I still leave the armrest open if I have a can of drink or something, and I still store bits and pieces in there, it's just nice that I can leave it down and rest my arm on it afterwards. :)

On 3/17/2017 at 7:19 PM, Deacon said:

The Helmholtz is 360mm long and the circumference is 330mm.

The pipe is approximately 130mm long and has a circumference of 140mm.

Does that help @Ade?

According to my calculations the helmholtz will be tuned to 3800rpm @ 180C gas temperature ( that is a guess based on mine being 150C at the back box but will vary depending on how hard you drive and the airflow under the car).

Could be designed to tune a particular resonant frequency or for the sound they wanted. Either way Its one of the nicer sound exhausts IMO.

Interestingly the website says it has 60mm diameter pipe. Must mean internal as 2.5" is 63.5mm. 

7 minutes ago, Ade said:

According to my calculations the helmholtz will be tuned to 3800rpm @ 180C gas temperature ( that is a guess based on mine being 150C at the back box but will vary depending on how hard you drive and the airflow under the car).

Could be designed to tune a particular resonant frequency or for the sound they wanted. Either way Its one of the nicer sound exhausts IMO.

Interestingly the website says it has 60mm diameter pipe. Must mean internal as 2.5" is 63.5mm. 

Excuse my ignorance as I know nothing of this but does it make a difference where the Helmholtz is? So on your h&s system it's on the back boxes whereas on the hks it's on the centre pipe?

Just now, Deacon said:

Excuse my ignorance as I know nothing of this but does it make a difference where the Helmholtz is? So on your h&s system it's on the back boxes whereas on the hks it's on the centre pipe?

Well firstly I will say I am not an expert on Helmholtz resonators, but they basically act in the same way as a wind instrument or a relex port of a speaker box works. So based on that, no it shouldn't make much difference to the amount of attenuation assuming the chamber is designed with the correct gas temperature. However the way the other silencers react may make a difference but I dont have any experience with that. 

It does sort of matter where you attach it, but you can adjust the length/diameter to suit the temperature of the gasses in that part of the system. The decompression into the muffler will drop gas temp, but most of the fall-off will happen by the time you get to the second cat position

2 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

It does sort of matter where you attach it, but you can adjust the length/diameter to suit the temperature of the gasses in that part of the system. The decompression into the muffler will drop gas temp, but most of the fall-off will happen by the time you get to the second cat position

Yes that's what I was trying to say, you have to adjust the chamber volume to match the gas temperature for the target frequency but once that has been done, I cant see it making much difference.

On mine I stuffed a thermocouple in the exhaust as well as used an IR Thermometer externally on the dark welds to measure gas temperature at the mounting point before I did the calculations.