Deacon

Deacons '86

The best lap I have recorded from Bedford yesterday.

I'd never been before and at 4.2 miles per lap I spent most of the day trying to learn where I was. I managed to go quicker later in the afternoon after being out with @DanJ but by that point my battery had died in the camera as I'd forgotten to turn it off between laps. Watching the video I can still see there is obviously plenty of time to be gained next time!

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

Have you got any readings to show the difference between what Torque gives for oil temperature and what your gauge gives?

No sorry. I can't seem to get any of the obd port tools I have to work anymore.

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can borrow mine next Wednesday at Curbs?

We can try it - not sure if curbs will show much temperature to see a difference?

I need to try the obd tools with my old phone - think they might not like the OnePlus

13 minutes ago, Deacon said:

We can try it - not sure if curbs will show much temperature to see a difference?

I need to try the obd tools with my old phone - think they might not like the OnePlus

Just keep going round, I'll distract Dan and co, they won't notice :D

2 hours ago, DanJ said:

Interesting, I was 82.5 with the stock manifold (before it went to tractor spec), are you in the stock 2nd cat?

Yes, catted manifold and stock second cat

4 hours ago, Deacon said:

While I remember static exhaust reading at Bedford was 82.x so should be no problem for pretty much any track in the UK.

That'll be no problem anywhere, even Thruxton, you'll clear it by miles which is good. I'm hoping for under 95 at my next noise test! 

Reckon you could afford to lose the second cat?

9 hours ago, Lauren said:

Reckon you could afford to lose the second cat?

Yes I think I probably could. I am looking into some options for a high flow cat replacement (that works) though to save any mot hassle as I know the cat in the JDL is borderline for mot passing alone.

Considering that some of the high flow cats are marginal on their own (in terms of failing an MOT) you shouldn't have to worry too much as you have the cat in the manifold to supplement it.

Btw car sounds great :)

Few little updates.

I picked up a light weight Beatrush gearknob as I wanted to try something considerably less hefty than the Anarchy Motive ones.

IMG_20170823_122314_Hagrid_Black.thumb.jpg.0601602859e50b7c6ea9e4b379198fdb.jpg

On the scales you can see it weighs in at a tiny 60g

IMG_20170823_122214_Hagrid_Black.thumb.jpg.a8d5472e307f6be414fbe565548ddd32.jpg

I also spent yesterday at Rogue having my oil cooler fitted and while they had the bumper off they popped my TRD Canards on that I've had on the shelf at home for about two years!

IMG_20170823_122403_Hagrid_Black.thumb.jpg.64692256832e73f51cfc8432b2b74a6d.jpg

The oil cooler itself was fitted after a bit of hassle as the Hel brackets are pointless - they may fit a car but not the 86!

However, this wasn't a major hassle for Matt at Rogue who produced some custom mounting brackets.

IMG_20170823_122417_Hagrid_Clean.thumb.jpg.d06f43dec0c75142f037c894408d900e.jpg

The stock air box is also an issue for fitment around the sandwich plate and also required a little modification.

IMG_20170823_122501_Hagrid.thumb.jpg.f10e2690aa1cede432f10f3d6d725f82.jpg

On the journey home the oil temperature gauge showed between 5-10 degrees lower than I had been seeing pre cooler (so low 80's to low 90's rather than high 80's to high 90's). Cruising on the mway without other traffic around I could see the oil temp gradually dropping so I'm quite sure that on track at speed on the straights it will give a significant drop in temperature. Getting up to temperature from cold seems to take a few minutes longer.

Finally, I picked up a set of red (although they don't look very red in the picture) internal drive wheel nuts as the clearance for a socket on the Autec's is tiny.

IMG_20170823_122726_Hagrid_Clean.thumb.jpg.35e26ed4b81a21303424719d694593db.jpg

18 minutes ago, Tareim said:

where did you get those nuts from? look similar to the ones I had and the 'red' flaked off over time

I'd be amazed if it doesn't flake off these as well - pretty much every set I've had has suffered from that bar the yellow and neochrome ones.

Fitted the Cusco accelerator pedal today. Complete bugger of a job Insitu. Totally wish I'd removed the pedal assembly as others have suggested but it's done now.

Few pictures below showing how much closer it brings the accelerator and brake for easier heel and toe. Also a picture of my own brake pedal which I seem to be wearing the edge off which I'm a bit surprised about from 30k miles. 

Only reservation currently is that the rubber material doesn't protrude anywhere near as much as on the OEM pedals so I wonder how it'll be on a wet day.

IMG_20170924_150628_Hagrid_Clean.thumb.jpg.06160ca6422543bc3b2dae9b6dd348d3.jpg

IMG_20170924_150858_Hagrid_Black.thumb.jpg.5b56fcbf54e95c94d9cdec8ac94029f2.jpg

IMG_20170924_150850_Hagrid_Black.thumb.jpg.6d00d416ade8dd7d418544812ab042a8.jpg