Keethos

Keethos' GT86 Journey Back To Health + Mods

Lol, as it happens the plate is on the passenger side and he cut and removed the whole area, as for the plate, he cut it into a small piece so I can take it away with me. I've asked Rich from RRG to see if he can supply a new one to stick on but not heard back from him regarding this yet. Probably not the answer you were looking for, sorry.

Thanks Keith,

I wonder if a little heat and a very sharp blade under the corner will help?? I really don't want to screw mine up!!

I would give mine a try but I'm away from home and my baby at the moment (currently down in Earl's Court London in a Vauxhaull Insignia :( until Thursday night), but I'm due in at RRG Macclesfield for my 40k service on Friday, could see what their boys could do.

I would give mine a try but I'm away from home and my baby at the moment (currently down in Earl's Court London in a Vauxhaull Insignia :( until Thursday night), but I'm due in at RRG Macclesfield for my 40k service on Friday, could see what their boys could do.

That's a cruel and unusual punishment. Who did you upset?

Lol, I have no idea, the silly thing is, these guys travel 30 odd miles into London for work, why couldn't they travel a lil further away from the pains of London to a more quieter Coventry, where the training course is cheaper, they get dedicated training room, laptops and they get fed! Ah well....

Another great (and slightly over due) 40odd thousand mile service from Richard Mckay and his team at RRG Macclesfield Toyota and while they were at it, 2 new tyres (Yokohama Advan Sports) and the fitting of a nice big red brake kit (KSport 8 Pots, 330mm vented discs and braided lines). Some serious stopping power which is probably over kill for my car but they look the business and I'm sure they'll come in handy on track......just need to get the rears painted red  :P

11393640_10153535202032018_2840984797396

Seriously looking forward to getting back on track, I've not even properly pushed the car after having the coilovers fitted and now these big brakes, itching to see what the car can do.  I've pushed the car around the twisty roads and it feels really good, solid and planted especially with the wider track from the spacers, makes the steering feel a lil more heavy but again feels more planted but I never really really push it on public roads so interested to see how it performs when I go all out on track.

To be fair I could have done without getting the brakes but it was a spur of the moment buy and a bit of a steal so can't really complain, they've been sat in the house for the past couple of months so thought it was time to get them fitted.  On the drive back, the brakes felt good, they don't have the same initial bite like the Stoptech Pads on stock discs did but the Stoptechs sometimes felt like the car wouldn't stop after that initial bite.  Where as the KSports feel a lot more progressive, so not as much bit initial bite but as you put your foot further down, you can feel the car progressively yet swiftly slow down.  I've not tried using the brakes hard/slamming them yet as on the journey back, I still had the old calipers and stuff in the front passenger side as well as drinks bottles and what not so didn't want them going all over the place.  I'll give it some tomorrow sometime but so far so good.  Rich and myself did wonder if getting bigger brakes would end up adding more weight to the car and stuff and the box with the the KSport stuff in were pretty heavy, but when I tried to get the box back out with the stock stuff in, I was shocked at how much more heavier the stock kit is, so think I saved a bit of weight in the process which is a win.

All this work so soon after getting the car back has again set me back a fair bob but it's all progress and it satisfies the modding bug.  I'm just eager to get a nice set of alloys like I have been meaning to for the past couple of years but the wait must continue as I have to start saving again but I'm glad that I can get back on it and do more stuff to the car without having to feel guilty about buying a lil mod when I should have in fact been saving to get her fixed. Especially when so many of you have helped me throughout the ordeal, the donations of parts, cash and even the time in looking for second hand parts for me, I felt like I had to get the car fixed not just for myself but to all of you who have helped me out.  And on that note, as I can't thank you enough, I'll thank you all again for all the support and here's to the club and it's awesome community!

Gatsby-Cheers.jpg

Looking good pal :) I'm allowed to drive again as of Wednesday so finally got the GT back out on the road and damn.... It feels so crap as a standard car! Definitely not as nice to drive without the brakes or spacers! I'm glad they found a good home! Did you fit them yourself in the end? Easy job isn't it? Haha

Awesome, Keethos.. truly awesome.

If you would like to try some Ferodo DS2500 pads in your K-Sport calipers I've got some spare sets you can try.. I shall be selling mine when the StopTech replacements arrive.

Spec K

Tilly, nah, I didn't have the man power or tools to do the liquids, would have liked to tackle the rest but I just got RRG to sort them for me. You going to keep the car now?

How much would you want for them Keith? Could be keep for when these finally wear out.

Try before you buy, Keethos... these are spares, part worn, probably 50% pad material left.

I've also got a set of the same Ferodo material on pads for std rear calipers - for me this retained the 'balance', both on road and track.

Spec K

To be fair the stock wheels look better painted, but your car is crying out for a decent set of wheels. It would just really finish it off. 

Any idea what you might be looking to get? 

The current pads and discs are still good for a long while I think so it's guna be a while before I can get round to try before buying Keith but if you give me a price, I might consider getting them as spares when I finally need them.

And I agree Lauren, I do need some new wheels, but I've been needing new wheels since I got the car but things keep on setting me back.  My original plan has also now changed to something a lil more unique and "Lauren Approved", rather than the Rota Grid Drifts that I was going to get, and have a sticker of the club logo on one of the spokes off each wheel, I'm now looking at some Gram Lights.  Not that I have a problem with Rotas as I kind of prefer the look of the Rota Grid compared to the TE37's and that's because the Rota's have more of a concaved face from what I've seen online.  At the moment though, besides trying to save up the money for wheels, I can't decide on which Gram Lights I want.  I'm stuck between:

57Getter's:

post-238-0-51727500-1433108041_thumb.jpg

20140912-170928__13976.1410569474.1280.1

And the 57FXX's:

DSC_2170.jpg

57fxx_bm_05.jpg

I'm at the moment leaning towards the 57Getter's because they are a lot more photogenic, you can actually see them pretty clearly and they look good, but don't know if they'll go with the car as I've got black bits not graphite bits painted on the car.  If I do get the 57FXX, I'm tempted to do something like this to them:

25544_1.jpg

57fxx_epro_image1.jpg

but instead of red, liquid yellow instead.....or do I go red to match the calipers?  It's a shame they don't do the 57FXX Pro's in 18":

01_008952_00_00_00000_%23_%23_000_00.jpg

as these are a 2 piece wheel, I'd split them to paint the sliver parts liquid yellow similar to this:

post-238-0-73185400-1425135199_thumb.jpg

Thoughts peoeple?

No mate, I absolutely loved the drive home today (even though the standard brakes are like cheese compared to those k sports!) but I'm in the mindset that it's going now as I wasn't expecting to be able to drive so soon again. I love the car but I've gone through the aggro of putting it back to standard and that it's going kinda thing so I've been looking at new A45's and S3 saloons as a realistic, possibly a couple of year old C63 and take the hit on the fuel costs or ultimately depending on how a couple of investments pull off over the next month and after the mortgage renewal... A GTR but that's a very long shot and a slim chance funds will permit. I do love the 86 but I've decided life is too short, you can't take it with you so why not have a bit of fun :)

Ps. The rota grids all day long dude, not feeling them others against the car, they look a little too... "90's max power" for my liking haha. I absolutely love what you've done with the car, the only thing for me I can't take to is the black bootlid, personally I'd love to see that in yellow too but the car as a whole looks great and that colour is lush! Good choice :D that bonnet is sweet with the vents left black

Yeah but everyone has the Rota Grid Drifts, they're common as muck and I've gone off them slightly, but we'll see, I'll do some photoshopping to see what they look like.  As for the rears, it'll be too easy to have the boot painted the same colour, I'm sure it'll look good but personally I don't think it'll look as good as it does now.  I'm actually kind of chuffed with how the boot turned out, trying something different with a vision in my head and I believe that I pulled it off after my lil test with the plasti dip.  The vision was to make the spoiler look like it was kind of floating/sitting a little higher than normal rather than just a spoiler stuck onto the boot (if that makes sense), the picture below is what I envisioned and I think it worked out really well personally:

11128356_10153506541917018_5605989964258

57Getters. Depends what you want - I think your car has a look along the lines of a factory model Toyota haven't produced yet - the more subtle wheels would keep that OEM feel. The other ones would look good too (yellow detailing, not red IMO) but would look aftermarket.

Oh and the floating spoiler/black boot idea does work, although I was properly convinced by this when I saw it in the metal. Needs to be seen in 3d!