Keethos

Keethos' GT86 Journey Back To Health + Mods

That's a real tale of woe, being whacked by an uninsured driver.... the lady sounds very, very lucky to get away with it, given the airbags went off..

Keethos, can you not ask her who the insurers are? And contact them direct?

Spec K

I've just spoken to SJ Curtis and they've just told me that the written off cars get sent to CoPart (.co.uk) and as it's a cat D or C car, it'll get auctioned off as a whole,  If it was a cat B then it would have been broken down for parts.  I might keep an eye out to see what it goes for and if it's going for low money, I might get the whole thing and strip it for parts myself but I doubt that will be the case, I'm sure people will be jumping on it to get it fixed and sold on for a fair bit, who knows.

Edit:  Well, just spoken to CoPart and they said that they won't sell to the public, only to body shops, breaker yards etc and obviously can't tell me who they've sold to due to the data protection act and what not......so back to square one.....again, reckon whoever buys it will try fix it and sell it on rather than breaking it.....but we'll see.

Hmmm.....could do, could give him a bell and see, but I don't know if his body shop would touch 2nd hand parts, I was under the impression that they only deal with new parts when fixing vehicles and what not, don't know if they're allowed to work on cat D or C parts.

Another blow to my journey, as some of you might have heard, Fensport has been tasked to make another GT86R but for a customer for road use, which meant that potentially a spare bumper would be available.....buuuut nope, the customer want's to keep his as a spare :(

Things might be looking up for me a bit here:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-GT86-2012-2013-2014-GENUINE-FRONT-BUMPER-PASSENGER-XENON-HEADLIGHT-/361015701145?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item540e366e99#shpCntId

After a long wait with numerous front and rear bumpers but none in white, finally one appears on ebay.  The bumper doesn't look too bad, will give them a call to see exactly what is up with them as they've not mentioned anything about the state of them, but seems like exactly what I need for me car.....besides the fact that I've already purchased another passenger headlamp already.....looks like one will go back onto ebay if I get this auction.....that or if someone needs a spare passenger headlamp  ;)

I'm still trying to save up enough cash to do the majority of the work, though I've spent a fair bit this month on Road Tax, 4 new tyres, a new suit and I've even booked myself in for a CAT Drift Training session (I know I shouldn't do but I was truely gutted that I missed out on the previous CAT day and just uber keen to learn how to drift and handle a car better, luckily this will all be done in a Caterham I think rather than my own car which is a bit of a shame but hay ho.

Besides that, I'm still waiting for some quotes from an engineering company whom I've done some scanning for not too long ago.  Really excited about this as this company works on repairing race cars to outfitting luxury cars with bullet proof armour for royalty and VIP's and stuff so I know they'll do a good job of my car.  I was also on the verge of getting some custom front wings/fenders made out of fibre glass off a company call Aero Kit (aerokit.eu) for about £500ish for the pair (unpainted) but when I asked if this engineering company would fit them, they said that they'd preferred not to as they often require a lot of fettling to get them to fit correctly, but then they ask what exactly it was that I wanted.  Like I've posted up previously, I'm keen on getting some front wings/fenders with side vents down them (like the Ings ones), that's when the fella turned around and said "well we could do that out of steel or even modify a stock pair to suit", this will then fit perfectly, be cheaper and stronger than the fibre glass stuff......so really excited about the prospect of having some custom wings made  :D  They might even make a jig to manufacture a batch of these custom wings if people are interested!

$_57.JPG

Well, I've just got off the phone with them and I'm guna pop all the way up to Bradford on Saturday to have look at it, if you look at the image, on the right hand side where the indicator is, you can see some black bits, that's actually a bit of a crack, they said they can plastic weld it back together for me but it will need touching up (or would it need respraying you reckon?  Could just that area be blended in or would the whole bumper need respraying?).  He's asked for £120 for the bumper but I might see if I can get it any cheaper when I see it.  Think this is a good idea peeps?

Pearl white is a very difficult colour to mix. And I know a lot of people have had trouble just touching up due to the way the paint is layered. 

Might be better off getting the whole lot resprayed? 

I know i've seen pretty poor colour touch up on whites where the white looks different in certian lights depending on the way the paint has been applied etc. 

Saying that, If you have to re-spray an entire bumper. There are a few others on ebay. 

You'll be hard pressed to find someone blending a pearle bumper.. Panels such as doors are a bit more simple but the curves on the bumper makes it an absolute bastard. 

How much is a brand new one?

There's quite a few little marks on there, is the crack the bit below the headlight washer? To me, it'd depend on if I wanted it to look "as new" and how much extra that would cost and how close it comes to just buying a new one anyway.

Yes Nick, it's up for bidding but I spoke to them direct and he has offered to sell it outside of ebay (saves him fees and what not I suppose).

He's plastic welded it now and he said that it's barely noticeable but then he's sent me some pics and....well I'll let you decide:

post-238-0-26115400-1407858016_thumb.jpg

This is guna need sanding down, possibly filling and pretty much the whole bumper respraying........don't know if it's worth it.......:(  back to square one :(

But the way I see it is that I've got to sort any bits that I can first before doing the side, the side will be the big job and by the time I come to do that, if I haven't found any more bits then I'll have to get them done brand new at the same time as it'll be mega expensive if I was to get the side done first.....then later on get the front and other bits done afterwards if they needed painting (i.e. better to get it all painted at once).

New front bumper is £272.33 just for the raw bumper.

There's loads of clips, reinforcement and brackets which add a fair bit of cost.

take the clips and stuff off the old one and buy new...that's what i would do.

Thought I'd give some updates on what's going on with my car at the moment.  Not a lot has changed with regards to the status of my repair, I'm still planning on getting some custom side fenders made up by AVS (Advance Vehicle Solutions) and I was going to get him to do the rest of the car as well, however, he was going to get the car resprayed by someone else.  So I asked which company was going to do the paint work and it's a company called SGM RacePaint who used to fix and paint the Pro-drive Rally cars and other race cars so I know they're going to be pretty good.  Sadly I've been waiting a while for quotes to come back and it seems that the the guy at AVS is so busy that he still hasn't had time to finish the quote, but now it seems that he'll still do the custom fenders but might just pan the rest of the work over to SGM, again I don't really see this as too big of a problem as they used to fixed stuff for AVS as well as other race teams and stuff (AVS tend to fabricate and repair where as SGM tend to repair and paint).  The problem is that he's given me a rough estimate of labour, paint and materials (matching the paint rather than a full body repray) of about £4.5k excluding VAT and excluding parts which they estimate to be roughly £3k worth :(  I'm due for another chat soon to get some proper numbers but it's not looking good, at this rate, it won't be much different to what Toyota have quoted :(

So the search continues, I've had a quote from another localish guy who found me on facebook, got a quote of him for about £6k all in which includes a full body respray but he's your typical dealership mechanic who's now gone solo so don't really know what his quality of work is like and I don't think he's got all the parts quoted (stuff like clips, brackets etc which can add up quickly).  I will be getting him to refurb my alloys in a couple of weeks so will see how that works out, I know it won't be the same as a full body respray but it'll give me an idea anyways.  Guna have to look around some more :(

On a better note, as some of you may already know, I've still been spending a lil on my car, I know I shouldn't really be modding my car any more until she's fixed but it's an itch that needs scratching every so often.  So back in September at JAE, after several members brought one, I felt a lil left out and plus the Summit guys were offering a discount, so I thought why not and brought myself a Summit Front Strut Brace which I then fitted straight away along with some Bonnet Struts that I've had for a while but not gotten around to fitting them:

O2v-rP_6pW-aquEEyfn3Yhk9qNycFv92d1YQ2GE6

Now I've gone and brought myself some 2nd hand but barely used HSD Coilovers too, again, an offer I couldn't refuse.  So I attempted to fit them today with a 50% success rate :D  I managed to get the rears on without too much trouble all by myself and managed to adjust the height to lower the car slightly for the time being, sadly I made the mistake of not measuring the default height so I know how much to lower by but I ended up doing it by simply measuring to what gap I wanted.  This took me about 2 and a bit hours, by which point I was already aching all over from all the crouching, bending over, getting up and getting down onto the hard floor....my body wasn't built for this :P

Sadly the problem occurred when I came to the fronts, removed the Summit brace, jacked the car up and removed the wheels.  Continued to removed the small screw and clips that held the brake lines to the strut without any problems but when I came to try and remove the bolt that held the drop link, I only managed to loosen the screw a few full turns before the screw would get stuck/seize up due to the excess amount of crud and possibly corrosion on the screw thread.  I tried putting some lubricating oil over the thread, tried wiping the thread clean but no luck, it would still get stuck part way along the thread.  I didn't want to risk destroying the bolt as I didn't have a replacement so I decided to stop, plus by then it had already start to get dark :(  If I had more time, I may have tried soaking it with the oil a lil longer and finding a tough brush to try and clean the thread but alas it was getting dark quick.  It even took a bit of effort to unstick the nut so I could then re-tighten it again and put everything back together again.  Sadly I don't really have any spare weekends left to get this done before the 19th Nov which I've got myself booked in to see Adrian so I might just have to get Dave from Fensport to fit the fronts for me but I'll come back to that in a moment, for now, here are some pics:

tNCNbzurJ6T75wRn1WWan3KOnYDmw1zw4J5xQ9cT

oIlA0sYmVMnWkIeqpgugu3RYRj7sI7_RUfhtA0Yd

bnM8nfGu2E-aBFE7IG97s4cQNU9btczgiSHbSGab

yO_lly69VQVi-0Ufr1sJl1Clwn0c7yroB3f0sQcF

So after what feels like a forever string of training courses that I've been giving and even more training courses lined up, I've finally managed to book some time off before I run out of days to book off, but that's not till the middle of November for 3 days, and I still have another 3 to use up before the end of the year.  The first 3 days have already been booked up by things to do, the first day I'm dropping my alloys off to get refurbed as I mentioned above, the second day (Tuesday 18th Nov) I will be heading up to RRG Macclesfield again but this time to get my Coil Pack replaced under warranty as I'm still getting the check engine light come up every so often, usually when I reach high revs and it usually stays on for a day or two before it disappears again.  And finally the last day will be spent over at Fensport for a variety of things.  Firstly I needed my ECU updating to the latest maps which will include the reduced high idle revs upon a cold start up, this needs doing to prevent pissing the neighbours off as I'm sure I will eventually need to sit on the drive to defrost things (where as currently I set off as soon as I start to car which keeps the noise down.....a lil :D).  But while I'm there, and now that I've got these coilovers, I thought I'd get Adrian to set them up correctly for me and now, possibly even fit the front ones for me if I can't find the time to do them myself.

So at the moment I'm no closer to getting my car fixed but I'm slowly getting bits and extra bits done which is what keeps me going.  I will get her back to the glory days....even if people (like my boss) thinks I should keep it this way because it gives it character :D