Keethos

Keethos' GT86 Journey Back To Health + Mods

Appreciate the opinions mate, to be fair, there's only a lil bit of exposed carbon on the outside that not many will notice anyways. I'm sure it'll look great just painting the insides liquid yellow but I feel it'll look a lil bland, hence the carbon fibre effect, either that or do something else with it, paint it liquid yellow but add something to it, some stripes or something. If I was to get them hydro dipped, I'd try and get them to paint it the same liquid yellow, but with a slight carbon effect to it.

Keethos I like the idea of what your doing, but not a massive fan of fake carbon fibre, especially as you have the real deal elsewhere on the car. I think getting them painted liquid yellow would look much better and you don't have the issue you see with peeling etc. The fake carbon wrap/hydro dip carbon looks cheap compared to the great work you have done on the outside of the car. Obviously this is just my personal opinion so you can ignore me completely and do what makes you happy.

As a real carbon fanboy  :D , Keith, I have to agree with Tweedbean on this.  Fake carbon, be it of the vinyl or hydrodip variety is fine for Saxos and Corsas with 6" rear drum brakes and 20" rims, but it is just cheapening your car.  For what it is worth, genuine carbon is ONLY available in black (you cannot dye carbon), so even the woven coloured so called carbon is not proper carbon  ^_^

Although with some painted carbon the weave is visible...

I'm also with the above 2. Having had my light cover arrive in dipped CF pattern, next to real CF it looked awful. Personally I think the CF wrap is totally overdone and that if you are going to match the exterior then just go for a closely matched yellow or spray them properly in the same paint. It's not that hard to do yourself if you get it in cans either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-HQ-SPRAY-PAINT-KIT-J37R-D-JAUNE-SYRIUS-NACRE-03-11-FREE-GIFT-/331095468126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d16d3e85e ;)

Hmmmm well I've got the remaining paint (a bucket or yellow and a bucket of the pearl that he didn't use up) so could easily get him or someone else to do that for me.....maybe add a black stripe or two across the dash pieces like some have already down...or maybe a sticker of something...maybe a club sticker or something.

Keethos, for a little inspiration here are a couple of dashes from my old minis. I wanted something that was different and the mini has a similar flat dash you can paint, wrap etc to the 86.

Stripes, as you mentioned above can work:

7361440244_9499af974b_c.jpgP1010932 by James Baker, on Flickr

I also had alcantara with coloured stitching to match the stripes:

7176202885_9b11988e5e_c.jpgP1000398 by James Baker, on Flickr

7614321578_efd2787d9a_c.jpgInterior by James Baker, on Flickr

7361434772_4f252372d9_c.jpgP1010683 by James Baker, on Flickr

8139393234_ee4e6dd5a8_c.jpgP1010920 by James Baker, on Flickr

All done to match the exterior at the time:

8139398340_43680b6534_c.jpgBum shot by James Baker, on Flickr

Then in the clubman I went for more subtle but effective with a mix of alcantara and leather, highlighted with red stitching. Also you can see my custom gauges. I am having this done in my GT86 or something similar:

9531705646_78d5f63f96_c.jpgNew Gauges by James Baker, on Flickr

9531704684_fbe4ff7f66_c.jpgNew Gauges by James Baker, on Flickr

9528926065_de066c14d7_c.jpgNew Gauges by James Baker, on Flickr

8644541859_516a4f94da_c.jpgAlcantara and leather interior panels by James Baker, on Flickr

8672182018_ddb1eafb2c_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

8731651017_a2bc9df48b_c.jpgFitted interior bits by James Baker, on Flickr

All done to compliment the gold wheels and red brakes from the exterior, a subtle colour theme on the inside:

14213229112_33c31b5d5d_c.jpgPictures courtesy of evil by James Baker, on Flickr

The knee pads will be hard to paint as they are one piece for both sides I believe.

Nice what you did to the mini. I quite like the OEM gauges in the 86, thinking about putting some BLUE LEDs in place of the white ones to change them.

Well, it's be a lil over a year since I was last on track after that fateful day, but last Thursday, I popped my cherry again and ventured back on track once more. Not only that, it was also my first time taking part in the Curborough Sprint and Trackday with Deason, Faith, Mike and Will300.  I was nervous to begin with as you'd expect but I eventually got back into the swing of things.

I was quite chuffed with my performance that day, my very first run ever was a 1:38.6 I think which was pretty good for a complete noob there, and I'm surprised I remembered the circuit as even though Curborough is a rather small circuit, you don't just do a simple lap, instead you do one full lap followed by a figure of 8 which isn't the simplest route to remember while you're fighting your nerves and trying to get a quickish lap in without crashing your car again. To the point where during my second lap, I genuinely thought I had cocked up the route half way through, backed off....then realised that I hadn't cocked the circuit up and had just wasted some time instead, but I still managed to get my time down by 2 seconds, then another 2 seconds the run after that and I continued to improve after that.

I eventually got down to a 1:33.3 which I couldn't get past, I would hover or get a lil higher than that which to be fair I would have been happy with considering I wasn't far behind the more experienced lot in our group, but on my last run, I some how managed to pull one out of the bag and banged a 1:32.2 which was .3 seconds quicker than Mike's best time. Obviously it's not completely fair cos he has a complete stock car while I have a fair amount of mods and grippier tyres but at the same time, he's been to this circuit quite a few times before so has had a lot more practice that me. Deacon managed a whopping 1:30.9 with a similar amount of major mods on his car but he does have stickier tyres compared to me and again, he's had a lot more practice too, but I'm sure if he can do it, I can do it too.....at some point :P All in all, a very good day and the weather stayed nice and sunny too.

11741178_10153690877802018_3434239511380

Also, since fitting my HSD Coilovers and the K-Sport BBK, I've not had a proper chance to test the car out until now and I must say, I'm very happy with the results. The car handled very well, it felt planted with a bit of slip at the back (though this is impart because I'm running low on tread on the rears), which felt very progressive and at no point did I feel the rear was getting skittish in any way which I was worried about when I first fitted the coilovers, it even soaked up the rumble strips very well. The brakes also performed very well, but a sprint doesn't really push them that far, the real test will be a long track session at some point and see if they start to fade after 10-20min sessions. Though what I did notice when they cool down is that they make a right loud tinging noise (a lot louder than the normal tinging noise when your car is cooling down), almost like metal cracking or a stone hitting the discs really hard.....I'm hoping this is normal.....

The knee pads will be hard to paint as they are one piece for both sides I believe.

Thought I'd update my misinformation, kneepads come apart and are quite easily wrapped/painted. The passenger side is a PITA to get out though as the centre console needs a good amount of re-positioning.

No silver trim....

Vinyl1.jpg

Cheers dude, I've seen the knee bits removed but never managed to do it since I couldn't get the bloomin push start panel out.

Pull the USB/Aux device and it'll pop out, disconnect it and then that gives you something to pull on. It then just pulls out ;)

Well, modding continues after my car's great return to her former glory. As you may already know, I've been meaning to get a set of wheels for a long time now (since I picked the car up 3 years ago pretty much) and even though I've got my mind fixed on a set of Gram Lights, I've purchased something else for the time being. The car's glorious return also includes her return to the track too (besides the bit of sprinting I did at Curborough) and while feeling nervous still about getting back on track, I was feeling a bit paranoid about going on track with spacers on the stock wheels. So I've gone and brought a set of Japan Racing JR3's thanks to Chris @ Tarmac Sportz in 17x8 et35 and thanks to Richard @ RRG for wrapping them in a set of 215/45R17 Yoko Advan v105's. In my opinion, the wheels are still too small for my liking but since they're only for track use, I can live with them being 17's rather than going 18's as they save me about 0.5kg per wheel over stock. They feel great, with a slightly wider wheel and a bit of stretch on the tyres, they seem more grippier and more responsive with a heavier steering feel, I just need to stay on my toes as they sometimes feel a lil edgy like they will break traction very suddenly. I'll be adding a decal to one spoke off each wheel once I get round to scanning a wheel and designing the decal.

Nope, everything was on (how can you see its in sport mode?) and I definitely wouldn't say I was going "way too fast", from watching your vid from your car, you too took that corner at one point same wrong racing line but it looked a lot quicker in your vid and you were perfectly fine. I was just unlucky, yes I was going a bit too fast and definielty the wrong line (as you can see I was over taking Will but didn't want to cut him up) but not just that, the track was littered with rubber marbles from the drift cars before us and all 3 added together meant the car just didn't want to turn.

Sorry I could see the stability control kicking in at times, so thought it was in sport mode. I've never driven my car with everything on, all I know is it cuts in sooner. You were going too fast to make the turn, hence the understeer, but you may have kept the brakes on, which would make it worse. I was driving with everything off, so had more control over the car, better suspension etc so stuff like that would make a difference. 

It was unfortunate of course and I do feel for you, was horrible seeing you in the wall as I went past. :( I think it's down to experience and sometimes at that point you get away with it and sometimes of course you don't. Don't worry I've learnt the hard way before too.

Nothing to add really to my project, but saw my car from above up high and thought....that looks awesome, didn't realise how awesome the 86 looks from above....especially since it actually looks clean from above.....it's absolutely well and truly filthy everywhere else.  So I took a picture and posted it up on Facebook....completely forgot to post it up in here :P

12548954_10154058093752018_4207346731682