Deacon

Deacons '86

9 minutes ago, Lauren said:

That's a good deal on the track insurance to be fair. Also a good quote. Mine never seems to go under £600, but it has 30K miles insurance and a lot of that is business. Ironic that this year I've done hardly any due to working locally. 

Mines business class 1 use but a lot less miles. The track cover is stunning - I don't think there are any of the other insurers I've come across that even come near it.

32 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

I managed track insurance with Moris that had a £750 excess witch was half of everyone else.

Chris Knott dont do trackday cover so I may switch to Greenlight as I want to do more trackdays. 

I had quotes from Morris etc but they wanted around £150 an event which made the Greenlight quote seem like such a bargain.

I went with Greenlight about a month ago for the £45 track day cover too, paying a similar amount to you. Makes trackdays a lot cheaper if you insure :)

The excess is double your normal. In my case it makes the excess 600 on track.

1 hour ago, maurice said:

I went with Greenlight about a month ago for the £45 track day cover too, paying a similar amount to you. Makes trackdays a lot cheaper if you insure :)

The excess is double your normal. In my case it makes the excess 600 on track.

Interesting on the excess - I was told it's a flat £1000 now rather than double excess which is a shame

21 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Interesting on the excess - I was told it's a flat £1000 now rather than double excess which is a shame

That is interesting, I was told specifically double and part of the basis of taking the policy. 

I rang up a week or so ago to book the days insurance but was told they only do it a few days beforehand...

5 minutes ago, maurice said:

That is interesting, I was told specifically double and part of the basis of taking the policy. 

I rang up a week or so ago to book the days insurance but was told they only do it a few days beforehand...

@Keethos mentioned they'd said double excess to him too so hopefully the chap I spoke to just had it wrong 🖒

I'll find out in a couple weeks time.

Tbh what you've said doesn't sound beyond the realms of possibility as it is strange they wouldn't take my money a month in advance. Perhaps as it's a new scheme the underwriters are still finding their feet with the risk. Still wouldn't be impressed if terms got changed tho!

Yeah like maurice, mine was £300 excess and they said multiple times that track is double the road excess, when I was speaking to Ad about my renewal, he didn't mention anything about a change in the track day policy side.

Just thought I'd do a bit of an update on the Motons as I've been meaning to but not got around to it. 

Currently they're on a 7/8 spring rate. I'm at Moton today and were going to alter it probably to 6/8 as the 7/8 frequency seems too similar which gives a little bobbling. 

I've driven on them quite a lot now. The low speed damping is sublime (which is what race dampers always excel on - even the ohlins TTX state they are specifically designed for low speed damping) as this is what you get at high speeds. The high speed damping (what you feel at low speeds and on sharp impacts e.g. Potholes) is a little harsh though. Again this is pretty much par for the course on high end stuff. 

Moton are going to increase the size of the bleed holes today which should help with the high speed damping. 

There is also a clunk when high speed damping is taking place. It seems after looking into every other option over the last few months that's its actually internal to the dampers so they're going to have a look at this today too and see if there needs to be a slight change to the internals design for the 86. 

So would I recommend them? For entirely road use no - but I think you'd have to be pretty bonkers to spend that amount just for the road. I think flex a's would still be my road recommendation even though they are a little too soft and will bottom out - something the Motons are yet to do. If you use the car on track then 100% yes - the control they provide is sublime - curbs can be used with abandon! 

I'll update again after the next round of additions. 

On 12/10/2016 at 4:19 PM, Keethos said:

Yeah like maurice, mine was £300 excess and they said multiple times that track is double the road excess, when I was speaking to Ad about my renewal, he didn't mention anything about a change in the track day policy side.

I've just booked mine for Donnington, excess was double (so 300 x 2) as they said it would be. Also added a few mods for free at the same time, good company. 

2 hours ago, alucardo said:

Just read from start to finish very nice indeed. Your motons look sweet. Slightly concerning regarding the 3k rear spring set up being crashy. Was it more crashy that standard?

To be honest it's been so long since I've been on the standard suspension I'd be hard pushed to say! 

5 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

Is it cold enough yet for winters ?

On my way to work in the mornings it is and as I know the WRA3's will happily handle at least 32 degrees and be fine then I'm happy to switch. I usually do winters in October half term and back to summers in the Easter holiday.