S18 RSG

Ross' TD Turbo Daily

1 minute ago, maurice said:

I was going to say, 35mpg on a spirited drive, really? I think the courtesy Aygo was reading lower than that while hooning down the back roads to work.

Makes a big difference when I can have a spirited drive at 3-5k rpm, rather than bouncing off the red line. 230lbft+ of torque from 3000rpm makes it effortlessly fast.

3 minutes ago, Ade said: P.s. my spirited drives in a bone stock car were around 20-23mpg 😂

The spirited drive in Will's video, plus the drive down and back, was still in the low to mid 30's. Plus, ya know, turbo noises. So yeah.

Turbo noise is nice. I miss that, though now I have a quieter exhaust I can a little whine at least.

59 minutes ago, Ade said:

Don't want to derail the thread but that's not fair to lump them all into the air to water is rubbish group just becuase the sprintex was poorly designed. I have yet to see a kit produce lower IATs than my cossy which is air to water to air. My oem Mercedes C Class is also supercharged with air to water intercooling and does well in regards to IATs

There are plenty of air to air turbo kits that over heat at the track too because the intercooler is undersized. Not that I am suggesting this one is, rather I hope it's not as a twin charged cosworth setup could be fun!

Sure, don't want to take the thread off somewhere else. Water air can be good, but air to air is always preferable if you can do it. It's the simplest and most efficient way to cool the intake air. 

21 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

A bit late to this one... it's like my car's big brother! Sounds epic.

What's the rest of your exhaust system? I'm running the TD UEL manifold but the rest stock from second cat back. Sounds nice but not as nice as yours emoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I missed this.

I obviously have the TD UEL, downpipe etc. then basically a 2.5" pipe from downpipe back, with a fairly large backbox. It was all custom made, so quite difficult to compare to an aftermarket premade system.

It is remarkably quiet though, especially considering it was on the louder side of most GT86s pre-turbo.

18 hours ago, Lauren said:

Sure, don't want to take the thread off somewhere else. Water air can be good, but air to air is always preferable if you can do it. It's the simplest and most efficient way to cool the intake air. 

Simplest yes, but why most efficient? Water is a much better heat carrier than air, so in theory an air to water setup could be a lot better than air to air.

2 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

Sorry I missed this.

I obviously have the TD UEL, downpipe etc. then basically a 2.5" pipe from downpipe back, with a fairly large backbox. It was all custom made, so quite difficult to compare to an aftermarket premade system.

It is remarkably quiet though, especially considering it was on the louder side of most GT86s pre-turbo.

Are you completely catless?

On 12/12/2016 at 6:08 PM, Ade said:

Yes it will be. Unless stuck in traffic your intake temp should be the same as ambient. Perhaps a 1 or 2C different due to sensor/calibration errors. Mine never read more than 1C different when hooning. 

Yea mine isn't, lowest I saw was 20c. Car said 12c outside, torque said ambient was 15c. Will do a log on the way home 

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Simplest yes, but why most efficient? Water is a much better heat carrier than air, so in theory an air to water setup could be a lot better than air to air.

The critical part is getting the water to shed the heat again in the water to air heat exchanger. In theory a water cooled charge will be more consistent than air-to-air, but it's the compromise between cost, complexity, packaging and added weight.

On 13/12/2016 at 2:47 PM, S18 RSG said:

That is great to hear! :lol::lol::lol:

On 13/12/2016 at 2:47 PM, S18 RSG said:

Totally agree with this, when around town it's very sensible tone, the only difference in our set up's is the manifold.

2 hours ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

Totally agree with this, when around town it's very sensible tone, the only difference in our set up's is the manifold.

It has a split personality. Almost silent at idle and town speeds, then raving lunatic in boost thanks to screamer. Hilarious really.

1 minute ago, Jared said:

Sounds sooo good :) good catching up today man and thanks for the passenger ride its rapid fairplay. 

Thanks mate :) Always good catching up with you both. Look forward to the next time.

47 minutes ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Excellent Ross :) 

Thanks

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Need to talk to you again soon. KSport front brakes, transmission/clutch springs and perhaps one or two other things.

I trust my 50% discount is still valid.

Oh....oops. You said not to mention that so people don't get jealous. Sorry. I'm poor, please send help.