S18 RSG

Ross' TD Turbo Daily

Just now, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Fairly sure the kit we have is Black but I can double check for you..

Mike

I hope they're black. If I pretend I'm an adult for a second, I really can't afford it this month, but if they're red I'd probably forget I'm an adult...

36 minutes ago, Paul said:

Red car with red calipers....it's a bit....Corsa. ;)

Only other colour I can use is blue, as the intercooler piping is blue, but if I do that I'll have to change wheel nuts and all sorts of other things to blue as well. Aesthetics Paul. Think of the children.

24 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

but if I do that I'll have to change wheel nuts and all sorts of other things to blue as well. Aesthetics Paul. Think of the children.

You think of the children whilst fiddling with your nuts? :lol:

4 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Fairly sure the kit we have is Black but I can double check for you..

Mike

Black you say... Would go nicely with a ginger car. ;)

Luckily for my wallet, 356s won't fit under my wheels.

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Black you say... Would go nicely with a ginger car. ;)

Luckily for my wallet, 356s won't fit under my wheels.

Bigger wheels and brakes. Two for one :P

I didn't want to start up a new thread for such a simple question. So I'll ask here.

Been considering tyre options for a while now. Wanted to try out the PS4's, but with their limited sizes and price, I'm thinking not.

Question is, do I go with a 235/40 or a 245/35 on an 8.5 wide wheel?

Seems to be a great deal more choice, and a small cost saving, going with the 235/40, but I'm more swaying towards that little extra grip from the 245's, which I feel is maybe more important with the extra FI power.

I can also get the much recommended V105's in 245/35 for a very reasonable price, so perhaps a good choice?

Opinions and advice welcomed.

It depends a bit on the tyre choice as some are wider than others for a given size. the difference between 235/245 is negligible IMO just pick the compound you want and fit the cheapest one. 

I run 235/40 R18 on my 9J rims. Its not ideal, but AD08Rs are quite wide due the the small radius corner and cant be had in 245/35. Both the PS4 and Cup 2s cant be had in 245/35 either <_<

If the PS4 are too pricey the V105  are probably the best bet. 

I can recommend sport contact 5s as I have them on my Merc, but they are also PS4 money. 

10 minutes ago, Ade said:

It depends a bit on the tyre choice as some are wider than others for a given size. the difference between 235/245 is negligible IMO just pick the compound you want and fit the cheapest one. 

I run 235/40 R18 on my 9J rims. Its not ideal, but AD08Rs are quite wide due the the small radius corner and cant be had in 245/35. Both the PS4 and Cup 2s cant be had in 245/35 either <_<

If the PS4 are too pricey the V105  are probably the best bet. 

I can recommend sport contact 5s as I have them on my Merc, but they are also PS4 money. 

I had looked into AD08R's for some time. Still considering them tbh.

The reason I ruled out PS4's wasn't due to their price being high so to speak, but moreso that their price is similar to that of more hardcore tyres like the AD08R's and R888's, both of which I can't help but feel would be better choices for the upcoming months of (hopefully) fair to good weather. I accept the PS4's are likely to be better all rounders than either of those, but then I also question whether they're actually £50 per tyre better than the Yoko's/Vred's or similar.

At least getting 888's or AD08R's, I'm fairly confident they will outclass most of those tyres in dry grip, so at least they have a speciality.

1 minute ago, S18 RSG said:

I had looked into AD08R's for some time. Still considering them tbh.

The reason I ruled out PS4's wasn't due to their price being high so to speak, but moreso that their price is similar to that of more hardcore tyres like the AD08R's and R888's, both of which I can't help but feel would be better choices for the upcoming months of (hopefully) fair to good weather. I accept the PS4's are likely to be better all rounders than either of those, but then I also question whether they're actually £50 per tyre better than the Yoko's/Vred's or similar.

Your logic is good and for road and occasional track the V105s seem decent. 

I'd just add that the AD08R is a much better all rounder than the R888 which is a semi slick. When warm their wet grip is pretty damn good, only problem is you are unlikely to get them warm in the wet unless on a trackday! 

As an estimate I would say the AD08R has 80% of the wet grip of a Pilot Super Sport when cold, but more prone to aquaplaning in heavy rain due to the reduced tread. 

I love them, its just the road noise which is the most annoying aspect, but you cant have your cake and eat it :lol:

I'm torn between PSS (would like more winter grip as a daily) or just go for the cup 2s and live with the low winter grip. 

6 minutes ago, Ade said:

I'd just add that the AD08R is a much better all rounder than the R888 which is a semi slick. When warm their wet grip is pretty damn good, only problem is you are unlikely to get them warm in the wet unless on a trackday! 

As an estimate I would say the AD08R has 80% of the wet grip of a Pilot Super Sport when cold, but more prone to aquaplaning in heavy rain due to the reduced tread. 

I love them, its just the road noise which is the most annoying aspect, but you cant have your cake and eat it :lol:

I'm torn between PSS (would like more winter grip as a daily) or just go for the cup 2s and live with the low winter grip. 

If only they'd release the bloody Pilot Sport 4S (Supersport replacement) in 18" Sizes!

8 minutes ago, TTR said:

If only they'd release the bloody Pilot Sport 4S (Supersport replacement) in 18" Sizes!

Apparently they're not going to. I'd thought they may come later but apparently the idea is PS4 for up to 18" and PS4s for over.

19 minutes ago, Ade said:

Yeah you're right re: 888's. I'm not considering them tbh, just mentioned them so as to back up my point :P

I read the AD08R's had some issues with rolling resistance etc. but then, at the same time, the V105's seem to get a lot of stick for road noise too, at least the reviews I've read, so I'm not too worried about that. Without going to an economy tyre, I think that's always gonna be a downside.

PSS's seem like a good compromise, but their prices seem to have either frozen, or maybe even slightly risen since the release of the PS4's, which is rather annoying, and makes me consider them in the same way as the PS4's. 

I wonder if anyone has tried the Hankook S1 Evo 2's. They get great feedback from customers and reviewers, and ~£105 each for 245/35 seems like decent value.

Edit: Found them for £105 each, not bad at all.

@S18 RSG Having run the cup2's and federal 595rsr's I'd suggest one thing to consider would be wear compared to something like a v105 or ps4.

If you are thinking of a more track biased type of tyre I'd definitely consider the federal 595's - for the price they're outstanding and I was definitely more impressed than I have been by the cup 2's. The main advantage the cup 2's seem to have is lower wear.

Just now, Deacon said:

@S18 RSG Having run the cup2's and federal 595rsr's I'd suggest one thing to consider would be wear compared to something like a v105 or ps4.

If you are thinking of a more track biased type of tyre I'd definitely consider the federal 595's - for the price they're outstanding and I was definitely more impressed than I have been by the cup 2's. The main advantage the cup 2's seem to have is lower wear.

Cheers Jeff. Only really considering a more track based tyre for the simple reason that they're designed to grip, and with 245's (maybe 255's) being my width limit on 8.5's, I feel like I'll need sticky rubber to effectively get the power down, which I'm struggling to do even in 4th sometimes at the moment.

5 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Yeah you're right re: 888's. I'm not considering them tbh, just mentioned them so as to back up my point :P

I read the AD08R's had some issues with rolling resistance etc. but then, at the same time, the V105's seem to get a lot of stick for road noise too, at least the reviews I've read, so I'm not too worried about that. Without going to an economy tyre, I think that's always gonna be a downside.

PSS's seem like a good compromise, but their prices seem to have either frozen, or maybe even slightly risen since the release of the PS4's, which is rather annoying, and makes me consider them in the same way as the PS4's. 

I wonder if anyone has tried the Hankook S1 Evo 2's. They get great feedback from customers and reviewers, and ~£130 each for 245/35 seems like decent value.

I've run on the V12 Evo 2's which are considered a "Sportier" tyre than the S1. Never had any problems and they provided some really decent grip. Probably not fucking helpful at all really, but I guess as a whole they make decent tires from my experience :lol:

Just now, TTR said:

I've run on the V12 Evo 2's which are considered a "Sportier" tyre than the S1. Never had any problems and they provided some really decent grip. Probably not fucking helpful at all really, but I guess as a whole they make decent tires from my experience :lol:

What was the wear/road noise like with them? For the price, they seem to be a great compromise, and do well in almost every tyre test.

6 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

I wonder if anyone has tried the Hankook S1 Evo 2's. They get great feedback from customers and reviewers, and ~£105 each for 245/35 seems like decent value.

Edit: Found them for £105 each, not bad at all.

I noticed more of a drop in MPG from the AD08R than fitting the SC kit. A good 5mpg I reckon over the primacies.

2 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

What was the wear/road noise like with them? For the price, they seem to be a great compromise, and do well in almost every tyre test.

Couldn't tell you wear wise how they performed. But noise wise they were the same as the Primacy's I had on. So fairly quiet. 

1 minute ago, Ade said:

I noticed more of a drop in MPG from the AD08R than fitting the SC kit. A good 5mpg I reckon over the primacies.

Oh...perhaps as good a reason as any to rethink that option then haha, thanks for letting me know.

I found my economy slightly improve on runs after the turbo, but now I've ran it a while on my daily commute through town and a million roundabouts/traffic lights, I'm hanging around high 20's/low 30's at best. I'm not sure I can afford to lose 5mpg lol.

Another consideration here. @Riceburner informed me that I should be ok with a 255/35 on an 8.5 (something I've noticed is commonplace on the BMW forums), and the Michelin PS4's are only £130 each at that size, £20 per corner cheaper than 245/35's!

Gotta be a good option right?

1 minute ago, S18 RSG said:

Another consideration here. @Riceburner informed me that I should be ok with a 255/35 on an 8.5 (something I've noticed is commonplace on the BMW forums), and the Michelin PS4's are only £130 each at that size, £20 per corner cheaper than 245/35's!

Gotta be a good option right?

Is that £130 fitted? 😱

Just now, TTR said:

Is that £130 fitted? 😱

I don't believe so. Price is here: https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s22p135329/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_4_PS4_-_255_35_R18_(94Y)_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

However, fitting is never a concern for myself as a good friend of mine is the manager of a local tyre place. Not so much of a friend that he can get me great deals on tyre prices, but he always fits tyres for free, or very little cost.

10 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Cheers Jeff. Only really considering a more track based tyre for the simple reason that they're designed to grip, and with 245's (maybe 255's) being my width limit on 8.5's, I feel like I'll need sticky rubber to effectively get the power down, which I'm struggling to do even in 4th sometimes at the moment.

Just one other thing that may be of help and supports what @Ade said earlier - the 595 RSR's come up a size bigger so a 235 is the same size as a 245, etc. My 215's were the same size as 'normal' tyres I had in a 225.