S18 RSG

Ross' TD Turbo Daily

Video actually turned out not too bad Will, considering you were just resting the camera on the dash.

Hopefully when the good weather comes around again we can do something similar, and by that point we might all have better equipment. But for what you had, the quality is great.

Thanks again for posting :) I'm sure @Mike@TD.co.uk will appreciate the publicity too.

Just now, Ade said:

I would be interested to see IAT data from a trackday or two at some point.

Going to sort that after Christmas Ade with our car so i'll update the Turbo Kit thread with the logs.

Thanks

Mike

8 minutes ago, Ade said:

I have to say, that sounds bleddy fantastic. I think this kit might be the new go to turbo kit for the 86 platform. 

I haven't tracked it yet, nor have I logged anything, but I always have Torque open reading IAT's among others. Highest temp I've seen since install was 16C at 9C ambient after an hour of fairly passionate road driving. General driving it's rarely above 5C over ambient. Not sure how that compares to other kits, but seems ok to me.

1 hour ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Going to sort that after Christmas Ade with our car so i'll update the Turbo Kit thread with the logs.

Thanks

Mike

Fantastic. I'm just gonna say it. This kit could work very nicely with a Cosworth SC kit :D

1 hour ago, Ade said:

I have to say, that sounds bleddy fantastic. I think this kit might be the new go to turbo kit for the 86 platform. 

Yeh this kit seems pretty tasty. Not too expensive, good peak whp number.....

IIRC someone said it is essentially a GReddy turbo so there should be some track data from the FT86 forum.

15 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Yeh this kit seems pretty tasty. Not too expensive, good peak whp number.....

IIRC someone said it is essentially a GReddy turbo so there should be some track data from the FT86 forum.

Not that I know much about the GReddy kit, but 15 seconds of Googling suggests to me that they are not even close.

Different turbo, different routing of pipework, internet wastegate (GReddy) vs external (TD), different manifold design.

The only similarity in terms of IAT's would be the proximity of the turbo to the intake pipe, which is quite similar on both kits, but the GReddy kit is open to the elements and the TD kit is blanketted and heat wrapped, so even that isn't a fair comparison.

25 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Not that I know much about the GReddy kit, but 15 seconds of Googling suggests to me that they are not even close.

Different turbo, different routing of pipework, internet wastegate (GReddy) vs external (TD), different manifold design.

The only similarity in terms of IAT's would be the proximity of the turbo to the intake pipe, which is quite similar on both kits, but the GReddy kit is open to the elements and the TD kit is blanketted and heat wrapped, so even that isn't a fair comparison.

I'd agree with that.

It will be the size of the intercooler and the airflow throguh it that will determine the IATs when lapping a circuit. 

43 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Ok I wasn't willing to commit 15 seconds of googling to that, sorry. 

22 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Ok I wasn't willing to commit 15 seconds of googling to that, sorry. 

I wasn't trying to be a dick by the way (just re-read my post and realised how it could be taken as such), I was merely saying that I only read 15 seconds of the first result on Google, so by no means am I an expert on the matter lol.

Just what I read in that 15 seconds looked like it was a completely different kit.

4 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

Highest temp I've seen since install was 16C at 9C ambient after an hour of fairly passionate road driving. 

I'm sure mine are higher than that... will check tomorrow!

A bit late to this one... it's like my car's big brother! Sounds epic.

What's the rest of your exhaust system? I'm running the TD UEL manifold but the rest stock from second cat back. Sounds nice but not as nice as yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

No... but would expect turbo to have higher?

Yes it will be. Unless stuck in traffic your intake temp should be the same as ambient. Perhaps a 1 or 2C different due to sensor/calibration errors. Mine never read more than 1C different when hooning. 

Don't forget the turbo has a front mounted air/air intercooler which is the best option for efficiency. Basically with a front mounted intercooler you are unlikely to have any issues. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for those with a water/air intercooler between their superchargers and inlet manifold as we have seen with the Sprintex setup. 

Don't forget the turbo has a front mounted air/air intercooler which is the best option for efficiency. Basically with a front mounted intercooler you are unlikely to have any issues. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for those with a water/air intercooler between their superchargers and inlet manifold as we have seen with the Sprintex setup. 

Don't want to derail the thread but that's not fair to lump them all into the air to water is rubbish group just becuase the sprintex was poorly designed. I have yet to see a kit produce lower IATs than my cossy which is air to water to air. My oem Mercedes C Class is also supercharged with air to water intercooling and does well in regards to IATs

There are plenty of air to air turbo kits that over heat at the track too because the intercooler is undersized. Not that I am suggesting this one is, rather I hope it's not as a twin charged cosworth setup could be fun!

14 minutes ago, Ade said:

Don't want to derail the thread but that's not fair to lump them all into the air to water is rubbish group just becuase the sprintex was poorly designed. I have yet to see a kit produce lower IATs than my cossy which is air to water to air. My oem Mercedes C Class is also supercharged with air to water intercooling and does well in regards to IATs

On the contrary, your supercharged setup will never see 40mpg cruising and 35mpg on a spirited drive. I'd take the savings in fuel and fitting over a degree or two lower IAT. Personal preference.

14 minutes ago, Ade said: Don't want to derail the thread but that's not fair to lump them all into the air to water is rubbish group just becuase the sprintex was poorly designed. I have yet to see a kit produce lower IATs than my cossy which is air to water to air. My oem Mercedes C Class is also supercharged with air to water intercooling and does well in regards to IATs

On the contrary, your supercharged setup will never see 40mpg cruising and 35mpg on a spirited drive. I'd take the savings in fuel and fitting over a degree or two lower IAT. Personal preference.

Sure. Not trying to spark a great debate just saying air to water isn't bad when designed well.

Fuel consumption is not as bad as you'd think though.

3 minutes ago, Ade said:

P.s. my spirited drives in a bone stock car were around 20-23mpg 😂

The spirited drive in Will's video, plus the drive down and back, was still in the low to mid 30's. Plus, ya know, turbo noises. So yeah.