JamesP1991

My Silver Project 86

Yeah I only use Shell V Power wherein possible. I have a Shell garage 2 minutes down the road from me, so I would be stupid not to!

Never trusted Tesco fuel to be honest, and BP 97 is horrible and way too expensive for what it is. In my area it is more expensive than V Power?!?!  :lol:

From Wikipedia so it's gotta be true :lol:

"In the United Kingdom and Denmark (where Super Plus Unleaded must be a minimum of 97 RON), V-Power has a rating of 99 RON (whereas V-Power's predecessor Shell Optimax was rated at 98 RON).[1] There is one other 99 RON fuel available in the UK, namely Tesco MOMENTUM99.[2]"

Is he tweaking a UK map or an American map and is there that much of a difference?

I'd assume that he will be using a Euro series as the US ROMs aren't compatible outside of the US. The base maps are similar but the cars are mildly different that a C/D series tune won't work properly. But then you'd only copy across the tables you need and not a whole map.

I mentioned about the fuel quality I will be using (98 RON) and the difference between the US (C ROM) and European (D ROM) Ecutek formats, and John said not to worry about it and he had it all covered so I am guessing he has modified it to be perfectly fine in UK cars. 

He's done a great job so far with me and the slight issue I had on the first map he rectified right away :)

US is C (manual) and D (Auto), UK/Euro/Aus/Japan all use G (manual) and I (Auto). He should be using ZA1JA01G or later ideally. Our 99RON is just short of what the Americans call 93 so if he's using a 91 basemap then all should be well.

JV has a mixed set of reviews, ever since he burnt someones car to the ground... He's still a competent tuner (from reliable sources), just don't catch him on a bad day.

From Wikipedia so it's gotta be true :lol:

"In the United Kingdom and Denmark (where Super Plus Unleaded must be a minimum of 97 RON), V-Power has a rating of 99 RON (whereas V-Power's predecessor Shell Optimax was rated at 98 RON).[1] There is one other 99 RON fuel available in the UK, namely Tesco MOMENTUM99.[2]"

There is actually no TDS released by shell for V-Power Nitro+ in the UK, V-Power was previously 98 RON, i'm assuming it is still 98 RON hence the lack of TDS for it. (I don't have the TDS for the old V Power so I can't prove it to you, but I did read it about 4 years ago)

I'd assume that he will be using a Euro series as the US ROMs aren't compatible outside of the US. The base maps are similar but the cars are mildly different that a C/D series tune won't work properly. But then you'd only copy across the tables you need and not a whole map.

US is C (manual) and D (Auto), UK/Euro/Aus/Japan all use G (manual) and I (Auto). He should be using ZA1JA01G or later ideally. Our 99RON is just short of what the Americans call 93 so if he's using a 91 basemap then all should be well.

JV has a mixed set of reviews, ever since he burnt someones car to the ground... He's still a competent tuner (from reliable sources), just don't catch him on a bad day.

I'l check the file when I get home, as it is on the laptop and report back. I have been relaying information back and forth to Adrian though and getting advice, as obviously having done all the work on my car beforehand, I trust him more than anyone. 

Well that isn't reassuring, It was his flex fuel kit for E85 that had a leak wasn't it? Caused a fire and then the rest is history.... 

I have noticed he can be a bit abrupt in conversation through emails, but has been very good with his response time and info. I am probably getting the kit custom mapped by Adrian when I can afford it though as being in the UK it is the easiest solution. 

There is actually no TDS released by shell for V-Power Nitro+ in the UK, V-Power was previously 98 RON, i'm assuming it is still 98 RON hence the lack of TDS for it. (I don't have the TDS for the old V Power so I can't prove it to you, but I did read it about 4 years ago)

Er.... Shell hasn't been 98RON since Optimax was rebranded. V-Power has always been 99RON ;) We don't get 98 in the UK

Try looking: http://events.imeche.org/docs/default-source/team-info-2013/shell-v-power-product-information-2013.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Yea it's been 99 for years, ever since V-Power was a thing, including before it was called Nitro+. Only stuff that goes in my car, despite the 15 mile round trip.

Gradual boost logs will be sent to John this evening to make sure everything is running fine higher up in the rpm range. 

I had confirmation that the idle and cruise log figures looked good, so I am happy with that. 

I have also booked the car in to be custom mapped on Saturday on a dyno at Torque Developments International in Thurrock. Had a great chat with Sam there today.

They will be modifying the turbo map using my own Ecutek programming kit and license. I have already rang the guys at Fensport and they said everything should be fine to do it that way. Adrian has been super busy at the moment and can't tell me how long it is going to take to road map my car to his liking, so a proper tuning company and dyno was the next best solution in my eyes. 

I don't want to drive the car too far on the basemap, so seeing as they are only 30-40 minutes down the road from me I thought it was the best decision. 

Looking forward to it and posting the results :) 

I filled up with V-Power in Germany this morning. It had 100 RON 'Racing Fuel' at the pump. So the Germans get it better than us! Also filled up with BP Ultimate in France yesterday and that was 98 RON as opposed to 97 as we find in the UK. Much better fuel on the mainland it seems. 

I filled up with V-Power in Germany this morning. It had 100 RON 'Racing Fuel' at the pump. So the Germans get it better than us! Also filled up with BP Ultimate in France yesterday and that was 98 RON as opposed to 97 as we find in the UK. Much better fuel on the mainland it seems.

Except for the diesel you get at French supermarkets. Very cheap, but always need to give the Citroen a dose of VPower diesel to clear its throat when I get back over the channel... God knows what they make it with. Treacle I think...

It's 99 remember ;) 

Joking aside, Andy the guy who fitted my kit is sending all the pictures over from the build tonight for me, so I will order them and then upload them all in one post. I will then do a full write up in a post underneath. 

Thought that would be the best way to structure things :)