JamesP1991

My Silver Project 86

Japan Parts is a dangerous place to go browsing :lol:

I got my STi rear lip from there, will definitely be using them again in the future as well...

You'll have to let me have a go once the final drive is fitted, its something I'm tempted by :)

Just remember the additional charges for customs James, and the postage from Japan which won't be cheap!!

I would personally go for CP pistons and Carillo rods if you want forged internals. Carillo are the best rods without a doubt!! They are the only rods out there with a sawtooth clamping face.

Mark at Abbey will get you a good price. Oh don't forget, the HKS kit is still 11.5 CR.

Japan Parts is a dangerous place to go browsing :lol:

I got my STi rear lip from there, will definitely be using them again in the future as well...

You'll have to let me have a go once the final drive is fitted, its something I'm tempted by :)

I know it is now saved in my favourites too, so this is only going to be a slippery slope! 

Of course mate, will probably get it fitted Late June/Early July time when I have some more money to spend on other goodies too. So will hand you the keys at JAE maybe? ;) 

I will do a full breakdown on how it feels once it's been bolted on any way. Some great things being said from those over in the US Of A about it though. 

Just remember the additional charges for customs James, and the postage from Japan which won't be cheap!!

I would personally go for CP pistons and Carillo rods if you want forged internals. Carillo are the best rods without a doubt!! They are the only rods out there with a sawtooth clamping face.

Mark at Abbey will get you a good price. Oh don't forget, the HKS kit is still 11.5 CR.

Postage from Japan was included in the total cost Nige ;) Was £60 fully tracked by air so for 2 packages that is fairly sensible. 

Customs shouldn't be too much fingers crossed and it will be worth it! 

Wouldn't they be best only if you want to go FI though Nige? I was thinking more of getting the HKS stroker kit as I am staying N/A to be honest. Wanted to go HKS 2.1L and then match it up with their new cams. But then again I could just wait that extra 6/7 months and see what other kits become available for N/A which will probably be better as more R&D happens. 

You FI guys have an easy job to get power you see ;) 

Bought stuff from Nengun years ago, would buy from again. One of the more reputable parts companies.

Cheers fella, the price for the 2.1L kit on there is very competitive compared with the likes of Sumo Power etc, so wanted to check before I contacted them :) 

It was! It was part of the reason why I went for it, as it was £283 compared with M Factory which charge in excess of £400 for the same product. 

Looking forward to it arriving :) 

Received an email from Japan Parts this morning, my 4.55 final drive and MSB will be here on the 1st June! 

Can't wait and now I have the headache of working out how I am going to get the FD fitted  :lol:

post-1091-0-58233000-1432723213_thumb.jp

I also have some BIG secret plans for the car in store just after Summer has finished, so it is all systems go :) 

Fed Ex will do you for a processing charge and you will have the the VAT too of course. £60 VAT + around £25 or so for the pleasure of Fed Ex. So bugdet an extra £85 once it's landed I would say. 

So I had a text message this afternoon from FedEx, just before I finished work to confirm that the parcel had been delivered at home!

Was a lovely way to cheer my Monday up and the parts look fantastic! I plan to book the car in to fit the FD within the next week or so, and will look to do the Beatrush MCB myself at the weekend.

post-1091-0-19967600-1433186422_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-74824300-1433186528_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-45230500-1433186452_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-64724100-1433186499_thumb.jp

I can't wait to feel the difference in acceleration with the 4.55 in place. I have always felt the gearing was just slightly too long and the car will now top out at 148mph once it has been installed. I have been told that it'll be around a 3 hour install so it will mean some hefty labour costs, but it is something I could never do myself. For anyone interested in how different it feels, if you are close and fancy a spin just give me a shout :)

I am about to pay James H for his awesome GFB pulley kit later on this week so I will also get them installed complete with pictures next week and the car will start taking shape. I am intrigued to see how a lightweight pulley kit and flywheel combined with a shorter FD and a custom map feels!

This is just the start though. After the Summer I have some even bigger plans with the car which I want to keep a secret for the time being, but it will be well worth the wait!

Looking good J!!

I'd be interested to know why the kit comes with a new input flange?? Probably a different spline, but then, why???

Do you have a new diff nose seal? You'll more than likely need one.

Thank you Nige, I still need to get myself a decent set of brakes and also some Bilstein shocks, but I will probably do all of that in one hit after the Summer with the other thing I have planned :)

I didn't get the whole kit out of the box so I will check tomorrow to see if there is a new diff nose seal included amongst all of the other bits and pieces in there.

The answer to your other question is.. I simply don't know! The garage I plan to take it to are a very knowledgable bunch, so I will ask the question when I book the car in and get back to you on that fella!

The reality is, Keith that you won't make the 168mph or whatever it is geared to in 6th, which you will never get to of course, though the gearing in top is really all about comfortable cruising than balls out acceleration.  It will have the effect of shortening the gearing so cruising on the motorway will push the revs up 400rpm at 70mph. 

I'd like to see what it's like, but my penchant for lots of motorway miles and upcoming Euro trips puts me off a bit. 

Awesome stuff....but doesn't this new final drive lower the max speed?

Yes it does Keith, but it adds to the fun. If you plan going FI you may not need it though??

Awesome stuff....but doesn't this new final drive lower the max speed?

Yes Keith, as Lauren says, it sits in the diff and shortens all ratios. My top speed with the 4.55 will now be148mph at 7400rpm, whereas the stock 4.10 ratios are geared to 168mph at 7400rpm. As has been said, you will never hit that speed with the long 6th gear in N/A form, so by shortening the FD you are then increasing acceleration across ALL gears, which will mean a much more aggressive car.

As Lauren points out, the flip side to the coin however is that because 6th gear is lower due to the shorter FD, it means cruising at 70mph will mean revs will be slightly higher... But that is something I am more than willing to put up with as the car through the gears will accelerate much more quickly now.

No worries mate :) yeah the cars are geared to 168mph stock, but with 197hp at the flywheel they obviously never make it there, so at 140mph terminal velocity takes place and they run out of puff haha