JamesP1991

My Silver Project 86

Sorry James, I'm having an OAP moment.

What is an ESC and MCB? You youngsters love your acronyms.

No worries Nige, I'll put it in simpler terms for our older readers ;)

MCB = master cylinder brace and ESC = Electric Suoercharger

Basically I've been a lazy sod recently and haven't managed to fit the master cylinder brace I got from Laile!

After speaking to you the other day at great length I decided to do a bit of research.. I still want to do a bit of tampering to the motor, like change the valve springs, and potentially upgrade the intake manifold, but I also want to compliment that stronger motor with Phantoms Electric Supercharger... Basically utilises some batteries to send charge through an electric controller and then on to a electric Supercharger to create a set amount of boost, around 5psi.. With a good custom map, full bolt ons and the kit you should expect 230-240hp at the wheels with the new V2 kit..hopefully with the N/A engine changes I can push that up to around 250hp which is the Magic Mark I want to hit with my 4.55 FD installed..

Whilst the kit can only deliver this power in bursts, around 2 minutes at a time when fully charged, it only takes a few seconds per use to then fully charge again. It is also 1/2 the price of other FI applications at around £1400 all in..

Phantom are still developing it, so I've emailed them for more info in getting the kit to the UK.. Wary whether it is compatible with RHD cars is all.. There is a waiting list as it has been very popular in the states for those who daily driver their 86..

That combined with the full bolt ons I have, plus light engine work would give me my perfect setup with aggressive gearing..

You can find more about it here Nige if you are interested.. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719

And a picture of the kit here:

post-1091-0-72995200-1434059390_thumb.jp

Just waiting to hear back from them now in the next couple of days for a complete shipped price and waiting times :)

The wait list is a good 6-12 months last time I checked, Also I doubt that 5 psi will give you that power seeing as over double that boost gives ~250whp on a Sprintex setup.

Hmmm I'll see what the guy has to say any way.. I think his name is Rob??

The new V2 kit that has just been released posseses more powerful batteries that obviously allow for greater boost.. 230 at the wheels on a conservative map with a lightly tuned car was well within reach when looking through the latter part of the thread if I recall?

On the old kit, on a totally stock car with no modifications it was putting out just under 200hp to the wheels, which is on the first page of that thread I think? So I don't see why it should seem out of reach with the new more powerful version, especially with a great custom map, a couple of engine mods and a good quality EL manifold which I'll be switching to soon.

I've yet to see an electric supercharger be worthwhile. Though I admit this looks a bit different from the infamous ebay 'supercharger' kits that have been around for years. 

Interesting idea, but really it must work more like a turbo as it's not driven by the engine. 

Also I've yet to see manufacturers use this kind of setup, but do keep us updated. 

Yes this is completely different to your run of the mill knock off made Ebay Supercharger, which as you say have been around for yonks with no benefit...

Rather than a full blown FI setup, I think of it more as a complimentary boost, which if tuned right can give you some awesome numbers. Do I really need 300hp at the wheels if I am running aggressive gearing that a full FI setup will give? On the road and in mixed conditions I think i'll just be spinning through gears 1-4 constantly. 

My aim was always to stay N/A, and I will invest money in upgrading the engine components whilst N/A, but I see this kit as the perfect complimentary item to help fill that void between power and usability, whilst keeping the nature of the car. 

Whilst it isn't driven by the engine, and instead by electronics, the power delivery is similar to that of a twin screw Sprintex for example. The Phantom kit gives you a big chunk of boost low down (2.5-4k) and then it slowly tapers off as you reach the redline. 

Here is a picture from the thread on FT86 Club of a dyno run from a car fitted with the new kit to show how smooth the torque curve is now. It has a very conservative map for 91 Octane or our 95 RON equivalent fuel and the car has some light exhaust modifications: 

post-1091-0-82289600-1434106919_thumb.jp

Note: bottom line is the baseline figure with a stock car for reference. 

It's not NA though is it lol. Forced induction is forced induction whether it's generated by gas, belts or electricity.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the ESC (confusingly ESC stands for Electric Speed Controller too), i love the ingiuity and the fact its pretty unique. Small brushless motors and speed controllers have come on a hell of a long way over the past few years, however not proven in the car world yet.

I guess you have me there buddy ;) What I guess I was supposed to say is that I want to use it as a complimentary item alongside the N/A modifications I want to do. It is half the price of a conventional FI system and therefore I can focus some of those funds on tampering with the engine itself. 

Having read through a big chunk of the 403 page thread on the FT86 club forum, it does seem to fill a lovely void in the market for those who don't want the hassle of a big FI install but want a bit more power. Plus the kit appears to be on a continuation development type path, where improvements are being made all the time, whether it be the batteries, fixings, or software. 

I am still awaiting an email response from them, and have also contacted the tuner he uses in the states to get a bit more feedback on the kit. Wait times are quite long it appears, but once I get some initial feedback I would be happy to wait. Just means I get more time to tamper with the car in N/A form ready for when it is my turn. 

If I'm honest I can't really see any benefit in this set up. A part of me also says it can't work.. just because the manufacturers haven't gone down this road? If you look at what they're all up to these days, with the likes of twin charging and getting three figure HP figures out of two cylinders, you'd have thought they would have come up with something like this if it really worked?

I bought tuning parts from the states for my Mustang, they weren't all they were cracked up to be...

I would be concerned about battery life, both in terms of use and overall life. I would also be concerned about the extra load on the alternator, and possibly risk of fire with all those cables.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat, but James.. you'd be better off spending your money on a stage 1 or 2 AVO setup in my opinion.

Just my 2p...

So I have been a bit quiet here recently, things have been mad at work and behind the scenes I have been desperate to try and get my car to how I want it! 

The pile of parts that are stacked in my room waiting to go on just keeps getting bigger, yet I just can't seem to find a time where I can take a day off and get it all sorted, these include: 

• 4.55 Final Drive 
  • GFB Pulley Kit 
  • Beatrush MCB. 

Then a couple of weeks ago, after my girlfriend was fed up of me moaning about wanting more power, I ended up taking the plunge and bought a turbo kit for the car. I ended up going for the SBD turbo kit from the states, this is fully compatible with RHD (I have already checked) will be doing the install myself with a member of the family and then getting it custom mapped at Fensport, hopefully all in time for Japfest 2. 

post-1091-0-53519800-1435923346_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-50040800-1435923370_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-95676600-1435923389_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-83397800-1435924180_thumb.jp

With the kit you get: 

• Mitsubishi 20G CHRA with 6+6 Billet Compressor Wheel Upgrade (same one found on the Evo X) 
  • Journal Bearing, Oil Cooled
  • Internally Wastegated with .5 Bar (7.25 PSI) Spring
  • 52.5mm IND/68mm EXD Compressor Wheel
  • 49.2mm/55.8mm TD05H Turbine Wheel with 8cm Housing
  • 3-Bar Map Sensor 
  • SBD 50mm Blow-Off Valve (I have gone for Blue)
  • 4-Ply Silicone Hose in your Choice (I have gone for Blue here too)
  • Tig Welded Stainless Steel Turbo Manifold and Exhaust Piping
  • Mandrel Bent Aluminum Intercooler and Intake Piping
  • Electronic Boost Controller 
  • Pre Welded Oil Pan 

I have also gone and bought a big K&N intake to replace the foam filter that comes with the kit and plan to start assembling it next weekend. Whilst the car will be in pieces I will also be putting on my master cylinder brace and my pulley kit before bolting the turbo kit in front of it. 

I have already spoke to the guys at Fensport and they are happy to custom map it. I am just going to go and drive it over there super carefully off boost so that I do no damage to the engine. 

Because I have got a new oil pan with the kit, I will be doing a full oil change, does anyone have any recommendations as to what oil to use with a turbo setup? Is it okay to still use 0w20 or is 5w20 a better option? I will be getting the oil at the start of next week. 

In terms of power, I will be going quite conservative (250-280hp at the wheels) to match my 4.55 FD that I will be putting in the car. I am happy to push it more further down the line knowing I have the heavy duty ACT clutch in there, but let's see how that feels first. Then later on in the year I will be getting some fat 235 section rubber to handle the power and also will purchase Stoptech's brake kit (October/November) time. 

I will try and post as many pictures as possible through the install. 

I know some guys see will probably see this kit from the states and question it, but Chris from SBD has been super in his feedback. He has recently released new gen 2 manifolds, new BOV, a Garrett upgrade which I am tempted to do next year and a new intake upgrade ( I chose not to seeings I went with a big K&N intake). The kit is being improved and refined constantly and it has been selling brilliantly for the 2 years it has been on sale. 

There are plenty of owners in Australia running them with RHD on the Facebook group I joined and so installation should be very easy with no compatibility issues. 

I am certainly looking forward to it! 

Wow big change of plan then! Will be interested to see what the kit is like as it appears to be incredible value. Good luck with the fitting.

Yes I know! To be honest I just got bored waiting for developments N/A that just weren't happening and I don't have a massive budget to go and give someone to make the parts custom tailored to the car, so this was the best solution :D

I'll be getting a set of red rally armour mud flaps next month and then I am going to try and build a custom lightbar with my uncle to sit on the bonnet. Similar to the style of the 037 Lancia:

post-1091-0-95328000-1435926907_thumb.jp

Want the car to be different and think the road rally car look will look good if done properly, plus it is a nice project to mess around with :) 

Isn't that kit the same as the GReddy kit?? The manifold looks very similar?

In fact it all looks very similar?? You do realise you're going to have to cut your front crash beam James?

Very similar but not the same Keith, the basic concept is similar but there are differences, although I will be able to use the GReddy install guide for the most part, making my job easier! When it comes to front mounted turbo kits, pretty much all of them are similar in one way or another.

Yep already aware of that Nige, cheers for the heads up though! I've looked at images of other people's builds who own the kit and also spoke to them about it and the notching that needs to be done isn't too bad.. There is a compatible aftermarket crash beam that can be used and I'll purchase that a couple of months after putting the kit on, and in the meantime run the car with it cut.. It's not something that bothers me at all and is a relatively easy job to do.

Very similar but not the same Keith,

Yep already aware of that Nige, cheers for the heads up though! I've looked at images of other people's builds who own the kit and also spoke to them about it and the notching that needs to be done isn't too bad.. There is a compatible aftermarket crash beam that can be used and I'll purchase that a couple of months after putting the kit on, and in the meantime run the car with it cut.. It's not something that bothers me at all and is a relatively easy job to do.

Keith???

The only reason I mentioned the crash beam was due to my findings when approaching companies regarding removal of the beam and replacing with something else. There is the Beatrush example, but this is in no way designed as a crash beam and is only acting a x-member. In fact Beatrush state it is for track use only.

The only company I found who would entertain these mods was Adrian Flux. Prestige and Sky were not interested in quoting for the car with the beam modified, removed or replaced.

Ohh I do apologise Nige! I was reading a notification that Keith (Keethos) had liked one of my posts before replying to you and so my brain was obviously thinking one thing and my fingers were typing something completely different! Either that or the sun has well and truly got to me haha!

Hmmm that's interesting to note to be honest, if it means I have to switch insurance companies then It'll be a hindrance I'll happily go through if it meant I can keep the kit on the car.. If someone like Adrian Flux are happy to have the beam slightly altered then I probably wouldn't even bother replacing it further down the line. Anything to make my life easier at the end of the day.

Isn't that kit the same as the GReddy kit?? The manifold looks very similar?

That's because it's a copy. I've seen pictures where the GReddy logo is still visible despite attempts to remove it ;)

That's because it's a copy. I've seen pictures where the GReddy logo is still visible despite attempts to remove it ;)

To be honest I don't care what badge is on it, as long as it does the same job and the build quality is good, it's not something that bothers me in the slightest.