Twigman

MY 86 HAS BEEN FOUND!!!!

My 86 has been found!!!

It was parked up in a residential cul-de-sac 7 miles from my house!!!

It was called in by a member of the public! Facebook ftw!!

I am not allowed to see it until forensics have finished with it.

I have just delivered the other key to the recovery company that is holding it.

The police tell me there are 'no visible signs of damage'.

I reserve judgement on that as their assessment of what constitutes damage may be different from mine.

The spare key is still out there so IF i accept it back I shall have to get the locks reprogrammed and a new key issued.

But I am experiencing a little relief!

that is fantastic news, hopefully there isn't any damage as they suggest, very rare a stolen car is recovered nowadays so good to hear one of our lot has been recovered

Ian - brilliant!  I am really, really pleased for you.

So -what now? Are you going to drive it home, get a tracker fitted and treat it as a lesson?

Hmm..... may I recommend? Get that car into a Toyo dealer asap and have *everything* checked. That means suspension, brakes, steering, fluids changed, full valet... keep records of cost, 'cos when the police catch the little scrote who nicked  it - which they will - you can demand damages.

(You'll never get them unless he was a drunken millionaire but once you know his name you can hound him for decades if necessary. Keep him off the white powder..)

Spec K

Great news, Think they park them up for a few days to see if the cars tracked.

Exactly this. So pleased for you that it's been found, hope it's all in order. The good news is that with a bit of luck it was literally just driven straight to where it's been found. I hope they find the culprit (Keethos has worded this better IMHO)

Just picked it up.

It's exactly as i left it albeit with 7 extra miles on the odometer.

There is however a key missing.

Toyota are telling me that to change the locks (so that neither the electronic nor physical key that is in the wild is useable) involves changing the ECU!

That doesn't seem right to me...can one of you that works for Toyota (Riceburner?) confirm that this is the case?

you'd need the locks and ECU re-programmed, I wouldn't say it needs changing entirely? seems a bit prehistoric.

They quoted me £70 for ECU reprogram

£240 for a new key to replace the miisng one.

As soon as I asked for 2 new keys and a new physical lock they claimed that the ECU would need changing at a cost of 'at least £1500'

Doesn't seem right to me

Am trying to avoid an insurance claim