Twigman

MY 86 HAS BEEN FOUND!!!!

I have had lost keys reprogramed to suit a existing ECU trouble is some one has got a key that matches your present ECU but the experts will no doubt confirm or deny this

they claimed they could reprogram the ECU, the existing key and issue a new key for the £240 + £70

It was when I requested a new physical lock - so that the physical key wouldn't grant them access to the car that they started making noises about a new ECU.

Something's a bit smelly.

I have left a message for Richard to call me - he should be able to clarify my position - not heard a bad word about the bloke.

Twigman - if the ECU is reprogrammed the 'old' key is useless to start it, as it's the fob that transmits the signal.

Yes, you may lose your valuables - if you leave them in the car - but you won't lose the car..

Spec K

Been thinking on this one you can program a new key to match the ECU but not vice versa if you get my drift my monies on new ECU as the car is keyless entry and push button start cmon Ian i needs to know!

Twigman - if the ECU is reprogrammed the 'old' key is useless to start it, as it's the fob that transmits the signal.

Yes, you may lose your valuables - if you leave them in the car - but you won't lose the car..

Spec K

The point is they know where the car lives, They know they have the key. If they can get in they can get into the boot and under the bonnet.

I won't be comfortable until the car is secure.

Any of the forensics leading anywhere Ian?

I don't think so, although the police don't divulge much.

I don't think they got any prints from the car. Not even my own! That's how clean I kept it!!

Cheers Keith which would make the stolen key useless yes?

The stolen key still has a physical blade in it that allows entry when the battery is flat.

It is this that I have asked to be made useless, which is why I can't understand why it would be this request that prompted talk of new ECU.

I have spoken with Richard and he's looking into it for me.

Cat D? how do they figure that tell me who they are so I can give them a wide bearth

Enterprise

Their claims handler told me that at the moment it is not recorded stolen/recovered but if I wanted insurance to cover any of my expense then it would have to be.

Enterprise

Their claims handler told me that at the moment it is not recorded stolen/recovered but if I wanted insurance to cover any of my expense then it would have to be.

What? is that Starship Enterprise? suppose I can see the point I did not know stolen/recovered became a Cat D

Cat D is pretty minor for the most part, it's a bit shitty that they are willing to write it off  as a Cat D because they don't want to spend £2k to change it despite it having been stolen. You insured it for theft, they should fix it.

It'll be up for insurance renewal at the end of the month.

I will be changing insurers, I'm sure.

Yep it is a bit shitty...there was obviously a reason this insurer was far cheaper than the rest.

Yes I was insured for theft, but how many thefts are recovered? Not many. I can't say i blame them for wanting to record it if they pay out. yes I think it's a bit shitty but rather take the 2k hit now than a >2k hit if/when I come to sell, assuming I can sell.

It'll be up for insurance renewal at the end of the month.

I will be changing insurers, I'm sure.

Yep it is a bit shitty...there was obviously a reason this insurer was far cheaper than the rest.

Yes I was insured for theft, but how many thefts are recovered? Not many. I can't say i blame them for wanting to record it if they pay out. yes I think it's a bit shitty but rather take the 2k hit now than a >2k hit if/when I come to sell, assuming I can sell.

Well as we know there is no such thing as a free lunch insurance companies always like taking your money not so keen on giving it back