Well.....

... the fickle finger of fate has decided to stick herself right up my rectum...

I collected my car from Fensport last Friday lunchtime. Its brand new engine, fitted with the latest HKS internals (crank, rods, pistons, cams) plus uprated injectors, fuel pump and a host of other stuff were all fitted with loving care by Dave and the car was running fine and, with its new turbo/manifold it sounds awesome. Adrian had programmed a standard (zero boost) map into it for running it in... 500 miles, max of 3000rpm, don't let the engine labour.

I therefore set off to Cumbria and had a stress-free journey (monitoring the vitals all the way, of course..). Back on Sunday morning and arrived at Fensport yesterday at precisely 12.00midday. No issues... on the way back I stretched the revs a little to 4k, without load, and temps/pressures were right on the button. Dropped the car off and it had done 497.3miles... used both  auto and manual changes, purring...

First impressions? The stroked crank has massively improved the torque low down... from 2200rpm she is urging to grab more fuel and drive the rear tyres. Awesome! And this is running the damn thing in! - do I wanna give it some beans...?  I would temper this with a serious dyno session just to get my head around where the additional 100bhp/torque comes in..

Phone call from Adrian this morning - the auto transmission has failed, wouldn't engage drive to even get it up his ramp..

So it's game over for this weekend. No-one knows the Toyo autotrans in the UK, we can't even get a workshop manual in English - bloody outrageous and I've sent an email to Honest John at the Telewag about it.  Andy North (he does all the auto drag-racing boys here in the UK) is the top guy and we've been in touch with him recently about fitting my upgraded dog clutches (ex SSR in Houston, Texas, USA, good for 600bhp they claim). He'll take a look at it but promises nothing... at £60 per hour that's a GP's wages... but my auto choice is my choice, no good whipping the servant...

So - no Snet round one for me, the trans is being pulled this afternoon and shipped off to Andy tonight, together with the spare auto box I bought last year. I hope he can do something - if not I will have to ship it to the States for SSR to sort it and that will take months..

(Hmm.... thought.... it might be cheaper to stick a manual box in it.. but that's not good for me. Last resort? Sell the engine...)

What also blows my gameplan out is that Adrian is off to Australia for three weeks straight after Snet, so there's no way the engine can be re-mapped even if a gearbox goes back in.

So an unproven gearbox when Adrian gets back..? and with Blyton a mere four weeks after Snet? That gives me no time to bed myself in... we reckon it will take Adrian the best part of three days to develop and program the four maps I want.

But.... I shall still be coming up to Snet as a spectator and to cheer you all on. I will have magnetic stuff on board my tonka toy for those who need it and will be buying my annual license/getting my track credentials.

Needless to say... if anyone wants to sympathise with my misfortune I can recommend the Rioja... I am now skint so you'll have to pay...

Spec K

Spec K

Sorry to hear that Keith, lady luck is not with you obviously! I think I may be able to attend on the Sunday in the spectator area as my kart enduro is on the Saturday... what time is everyone getting to Snetterton???

Hi Keith,

I was also gutted this morning and couldn't believe it after all the work last week and the fact that you had had such a good run over the weekend.

I can report the gearbox is out, both are on a pallet and off to Andy tomorrow.

We now have the manuals ... big thanks to a mutual friend ;)

I have 3 days (before Blyton) when I get back from oz so they are already booked to map your car as long as Andy can get us a box built in time!

You have been promoted to "Team Manager" for Sunday .... so you can kick our butts!! (although I know you would of rather done that on track!!)

Cheers

Adrian

Good oh!

A word of advice? - Fercrissake take it easy, she will bite your bum if you're programmed into standard GT86 throttle pedal into/out of corners...

Use this 'sprint' as a learner, just take your time to gradually and gently feel for the new car/self limits. If we get free track time after the runs don't be backwards in grabbing a seat in someone else's car and - importantly - get someone experienced to sit in with you..

(I have suggested to the TSS organisers we could limit the event to six timed runs plus tracktime afterwards.... this is, I understand, being considered..)

Spec K

Good advice Keith, thanks, I'll just have to remember it on the 3rd run when I start to get a bit more confidence!

Great news about the potential track time after the event, if anyone wants a couple of laps with me, I'm happy to oblige.

Terrible news Keith. Still, I'll be there as a Spectator too, so we can be team managers together.

I'm gutted your cars not running because I was looking forward to a ride in your car!!

Thanks for the messages - much appreciated.. many thanks to Peter at Javelin who has switched my entry over to Woodbridge ( I had already paid up for Blyton..). I was really looking forward to Snet, as I know the track and it would have been ideal to start getting to grips with the new power..

As Adrian says, the good news is that an autotrans manual has been found - very, very big thanks to a mutual friend.. so Andy has a least something to work by.

I am hoping it is something simple, like a valve sticking or blocked with crap. If not, it could mean a new valve body assembly from SSR - I'm tempted to buy one as a spare anyway. It's like having a spare clutch - a doddle to fit if it's sitting on the shelf and you need it in a hurry. Thoughts Adrian..?

Spec K

Gutted Keith! 

I'll be there too as Spectator! It'll be worth waiting for! And at least the engine was all good and run in okay! Proves those parts are okay. 

Strange the gearbox let you down when not giving it the beans! 

See you at the weekend! 

Can I ask, what time is everyone staying at the premier inn planning on getting there and what time are we thinking for the burgers and beers??

I am planning on leaving on Sunday morning rather early to get to the track with time to spare, what time is everyone thinking of leaving the premier Inn to go to the circuit on Sunday?

I'm in Birmingham on Friday night seeing Morrissey. So I will drive down Saturday morning. Depending what state I'm in, will determine when I get there, but I expect mid-afternooon, probably 3-4ish. If I'm not in too much of a mess I'll be straight in the bar. Find us there. :)