Deacon

Deacons '86

47 minutes ago, Varelco said:

I noticed your remap shortened and shallowed out the torque dip on the standard manifold, is it noticeable different than before?

I'd say yes. The remap I had done with the stock exhaust on (so just an airbox filter) helped smooth it enough that it wasn't as noticeable. If you look at the stock power curve, the torque drop is enough that there is actually a brief drop in horsepower, which is what you feel. You can map this out on the stock car. What I then noticed is that the car felt less quick, but it was just more linear with no sudden increase of torque as the car "pulls out" the dip.

So it felt smoother but less quick, I'm not sure whether to judge that as a good thing or a bad thing lol. Was in gear performance improved, for example pulling out of tight bend in 3rd or a lane change in 6th on the motorway?

Sorry taking this off topic, I'll shut up now....

1 hour ago, Varelco said:

So it felt smoother but less quick, I'm not sure whether to judge that as a good thing or a bad thing lol. Was in gear performance improved, for example pulling out of tight bend in 3rd or a lane change in 6th on the motorway?

Seeing as you also come from a Honda background, the best thing I can equate it to is VTEC engagement. On the older cars the VTEC was a big switch and it felt quick due to the extra torque surge when the cam changed. Correctly tuned they have no surge as the switch over would be smoothed out due to better tuning of the lower cam region for more torque. Similar to the surge you get from a turbo, it gives the impression of harder acceleration when there is a sudden increase of torque.

2 hours ago, Varelco said:

My remap filled in the torque curve so the mid range was better which made the overal rev range I can use larger. So it didn't feel 'less quick' in anyway, it was quicker for sure. That was the biggest gain which was the torque in the mid-range really. I've got a 2nd decat, overpipe and system with an induction kit if that helps. 

Maybe less quick (= slower?) was the wrong phrase. I guess when you are used to a little torque surge you become accustomed to the theatrics and are waiting for a sudden pick up at 4.5k that never comes as there is no sudden wave of torque. There is no doubt the car was stronger, the difference between that setup and Lauren's was roughly an average of 5lf.ft over most of the curve due to the extra exhaust flow, curve shape was near identical.

Stock vs tuned:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfvkmtwvp2jjxyw/1.JPG

Compare tuned vs tuned with exhaust:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnmv87slz7b6mx8/Compare.jpg

Note: remember Abbey's graphs exaggerate the curve due to the scaling ;)

Well it ended up being less a case of 'overnight parts from Japan' and more a case of 'really slow parts from Exeter' but eventually my oil cooler arrived.

IMG_20170219_154810_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

I've been fairly convinced for a while that an oil cooler is a very worthwhile upgrade on these cars and @Lauren's recent review of the facelift and it's dashboard display of oil temperature seems to confirm that.

Just need to find a time that @Mike@TD.co.uk can fit me in to get it fitted now.

4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Good move I think. A 19 row should be ample. Have that size on my AE86, total overkill on a 1.6 probably, but better sized for a 2 litre. How much was it? I got my last one from Driftworks. 

Me, @Mike and @will300 got them in a pre-christmas Hel 50% off sale along with brake hoses. 

On Monday I spent some time at AST having a few modifications made to my motons ahead of Oulton Park. I'll post a few more details on that later but in the meantime I just wanted to add a picture of how the Motons have held up to being on the car for almost a year now as this was something I was somewhat concerned about with them being a more race spec damper.

IMG_20170220_124542_Hagrid_Black.jpg

12 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

Whats happened to the image ? its stretched down over the reply box ?

I have no idea. It was weird for me as I tried to post it too and I originally added some text below the box but it added it onto the picture 🤔

7 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Out of interest how do they bolt up to the lower arm? There is no bush.

They bolt through the lower eyelet you can see on the damper but the solid bushing is not on in this picture.

They look pretty clean. Have you done many miles on them? 

I was suprised how good my Teins looked after 70K miles. The top mount plate seems to corrode easily but the damper units looked remarkably good, just a bit grubby. 

Around 7k miles and my car lives outside.

I was a little disappointed in the state of my teins in a similar time period of time to be honest. Corrosion on the top mounts and some of the painted coating flaking off. If I was fitting teins again at any point I'd definitely give them a good coating with ACF50.

On Monday I spent the day at AST having a few more tweeks made to the Motons. While the low speed damping was excellent they just weren't as happy as I'd have liked with the high speed damping (the stuff you feel more pottering around on a daily basis).

AST had a plan as they felt it wasn't a spring issue but rather a damping one. To remedy this they produced custom pistons with 4 extra bleed holes for the rear and 2 extra for the fronts along with enlargement of some of the existing bleed holes. They went with less at the front to keep the precision and taughtness that you want on turn in. Changing the piston like this reduced both the compression and rebound damping. AST wanted to keep the compression a little lower but return the rebond to as it was so they revalved the dampers to achieve this.

So did it work?

Yes. When I first drove it, after just the rears being done, the difference was marked. The overly fidgety nature at low speeds and slight bounce this brought had gone. With the fronts done too the transformation was complete. The drive back felt more like a 'normal' car and that was with the dampers set to 2 clicks from fully soft - previously full soft was needed for road use. Finally the dampers felt like they could 'breathe' with the road 😀

I'm at Oulton Park today so they'll definitely get a trial by fire and I'll report back on how they do later 👍

After their trial by fire at Oulton I can report that the Motons were simply awesome.

The weather was very changeable yesterday and much of the day was wet or very wet so I left them exactly as they were when I arrived (2 clicks from fully soft). They really allowed the car to breathe with the circuit while keeping excess roll well in check.

I don't know the correct names (I'm generally terrible with names which isn't great for a teacher!) but their was one section on the track where there were two quite noticeable and large bumps in the track which you were hitting at around triple figures before braking heavily - the dampers soaked these up and kept the car beautifully composed.

On the way home Waze sent me a rather strange route which involved a lot of very bumpy country roads which the dampers just soaked up beautifully. I really was impressed.

However, I'm not suggesting these have given the car a limo like ride - with the design of our dampers that's never going to be possible imho.

I'd also still recommend the Tein Flex A's for purely road use. The Motons soft are now similar to the Flex A's when they're set towards fully stiff but obviously with a world of further adjustments to stiffen them more. Since the modifications on Monday for anyone who tracks a bit and uses the car on the road I'd happily recommend the Motons whereas previously I'd really have only recommended them if the majority of your use was track.