Twigman

Flat battery - locked out - BROKE key

3 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

It turns a little bit, but then feels like nothing happens and if you keep trying to turn eventually it will turn. It is very odd though. 

If the mechanism is connected yeah, in my case I broke the key and the lock barrel :lol: Toyota replaced as a "gesture of goodwill" like they were implying I took the car apart and didn't put the mechanism back together properly. Cheek of em!

15 hours ago, Church said:

BTW, regarding darkness .. smartphones (most now have) can often serve as makeshift pocket light, via switching their led flash on all the time. Charge (guessing for probably at very least 20-30min) can usually be more then sufficient for all rare cases of extra light need in night time. Be it switching flash permanently on via some config option or some freeware app.

I've used mine as a work light in a pinch, a couple of hours is maybe 10% battery. The led is very low power compared to the screen on a modern phone.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:03 PM, Cerastes said:

I can't get in mine at all. 

The battery in car is completely dead. No flashing red light in car. Tried key in door, turning left and right does nothing. Look a right idiot, can't even get in a car. 

Any ideas? 

I just had exactly the same thing tonight temp 7 deg celcuis. Car had not been used for over a week so luckily I was at home not needing to go anywhere. No key-less unlock using the handle, nothing using the remote buttons. Red warning light was flashing on cluster though. I'd read about this thread recently and been meaning to check it! Tried both hidden keys in the remote, it would turn to "2 o'clock" to the right easily but only "11 o'clock" to the left. The physical key is useless as you can't hold/turn it easily even to use occasionally. Tried pentrating oil in the lock which promptly ran out under the handle down the door. After 15 minutes of swearing and moving right and left, it finally opened by turning to "10 o'clock" with a clunk. Opened the bonnet and connected up the battery charger and the alarm started very quietly. I would say its not the lock barrel but something in the linkage or door catch its self jamming or seizing. This post really needs to be a sticky as it will happen to all keyless owners at some point. So stupid design that the passenger door or boot does not have a key lock as an alternative.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:31 PM, The Minion said:

Had same thing, broke key, used WD40 and other key to get in. Charged battery, took car to dealer and they put in 65Ah battery under warranty.

I went to key cutter and had a full size key cut. £13 

I've tried 2 key cutters and they can't make a full size key. They had never seen one like it before, and all their blanks are double the thickness which explains the snapping issues. What company cut yours? @The Minion

2 hours ago, scbrz said:

I've tried 2 key cutters and they can't make a full size key. They had never seen one like it before, and all their blanks are double the thickness which explains the snapping issues. What company cut yours? @The Minion

I've just had a full size key cut too. Cost me £20 and they had blanks for all different manufactures so just used a Toyota blank. Don't think they were a chain though so worth just trying somewhere else maybe

So, have not used car for 2.5 weeks (holiday)...

Battery dead, mechanical key does not work (small movements left/ right does not help).

Will call AA tomorrow evening (WD40 into the lock in the morning)...

Not impressed at all

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, VAD17 said:

So, have not used car for 2.5 weeks (holiday)...

Battery dead, mechanical key does not work (small movements left/ right does not help).

Will call AA tomorrow evening (WD40 into the lock in the morning)...

Not impressed at all emoji37.png

Vad your car isn't even that old and it must have 65 amp battery will you contact Dealer where you got car from?

Hi Vad.  I had the same thing. I was worried about breaking the key but in the end it was a firm turn to the left which did it. I can see why some use pliers, it's not easy to grip the key, and all the time hoping it doesn't snap in the lock 🤨

Keep on turning moving gently for ten minutes or so and it should work. I had this happen and it will suddenly free. Seems strange but it can take this long continuously moving ever slow slightly left and right

then if under warranty get free replacement battery preferably 68ah or higher

How do you guys turn the alarm off?

Managed to get the door open after 10 mins of left-right key wriggling.

Recovery guy showed up without a jump lead, just small battery, and its does not have enough power for me to try the code on the key fob

I just left mine going off, stopped after a bit as the battery completely died. Can't you just disconnect the battery? 
The battery is fully drained (in my 2017 I still have 48amp one ).

Connect the battery to jump start the engine and alarm goes off. Key fob does not switch it off...

I cant even open passenger door (another really annoying feature of GT86 that only driver's door unlocks unless I either open passenger door or double click the open button on the key fob)

3 minutes ago, VAD17 said:

The battery is fully drained (in my 2017 I still have 48amp one emoji853.png).

Connect the battery to jump start the engine and alarm goes off. Key fob does not switch it off...

I cant even open passenger door (another really annoying feature of GT86 that only driver's door unlocks unless I either open passenger door or double click the open button on the key fob)

Doesn't it open manually on the inside ? And what battery is on it now?

Doesn't it open manually on the inside ?
Nope
Does yours?
I couldn't do it from the beginning just had to double click the key fob.
Didnt bother me till today

3 minutes ago, VAD17 said:

Nope
Does yours?
I couldn't do it from the beginning just had to double click the key fob.
Didnt bother me till today emoji852.png

Just got in my car leant over flicked the lever over and opened door are we talking about opening it manually?

My replacement 65ah Toyota battery has been playing up, and lasts about 2 days after a charge.  It is now on permanent trickle charge as I don't trust even the 65ah battery.  It was fitted under warranty in November 17.

I was reading the manual, specifically page 405, regarding how to avoid a discharged battery. 

One of the bullet points reads " Turn off any unnecessary electrical components when the vehicle is running at a low speed for an extended period, such as in heavy traffic, etc".

Just got in my car leant over flicked the lever over and opened door are we talking about opening it manually?
Had a brain fart (for over a year. Ha ). Child lock was on and I never checked, how embarrassing...

But the alarm is turned off now. Googled that opening trunk get its sorted, seemed to work.

Now off to get battery charged.

Oh, and the AA guys ended up talking a lot about the car and now seem to want to buy one as well , gave him forum address..

1 minute ago, VAD17 said:

Had a brain fart (for over a year. Ha emoji21.png). Child lock was on and I never checked, how embarrassing...

But the alarm is turned off now. Googled that opening trunk get its sorted, seemed to work.

Now off to get battery charged.

Oh, and the AA guys ended up talking a lot about the car and now seem to want to buy one as well emoji3.png, gave him forum address..

Well at least progress has been made but don't trust that battery good luck with getting one from dealer