Rich

Rich's Ginger 86

1 hour ago, Rich said:

One thing I need to test properly is the new headlights. Seems like they have a different beam spread compared to the standard ones, but it's not really dark enough to tell how they perform.

what lights did you have before? and are these not the standard OEM ones?

1 hour ago, Tareim said:

what lights did you have before? and are these not the standard OEM ones?

I had OEM lights before. Those are the black Topsage ones that Fensport sell.

I have comped together a rough comparison of the two:

headlight_comp.jpg

8 hours ago, Keethos said:

About half of what an OEM would cost that for sure

Both of them together is half the price of a single OEM one - so overall, a quarter of the price!

Attempted to fit my Flex As today, sad to say they beat me. Or more specifically, the stock drop links beat me. The bolts are well and truly seized, and not having replacements I was cautious about going too hard on them in case they snapped. Suspension has been put off until the 19th. :(

On the upside, while I had the car up and the wheels off, I took the opportunity to swap in my Cosworth steetmaster brake pads (thanks @DanJ).

On 6/4/2016 at 9:46 PM, nerdstrike said:

Ah droplinks. It's all about the plusgas my man.

Ahem to that. I soaked the buggers for a day or two prior to attempting to remove. 

Yeah, the fronts beat me too, managed to fit the rears no problem but struggled with the fronts so ended up driving around a bit with just stock fronts and unaligned rears.

Progress!

I was in at Tuning Developments yesterday to get my Flex As fitted. Unsurprisingly the drop links were again proving awkward, ended up with a rounded off bolt on one. So I now have a set of BC adjustable links.

Don't have the EDFC on yet, so I'm just running a static setup, and with the rain yesterday not been able to give it a proper run. That said, initial feeling is good, it rides well and still corners nicely. Looking better now it's a bit lower (I went for a 20 mm drop), though the wheels are completely lost in the arches. No pictures yet as the weather has been too grim.

Update time! With good news too.

I finally got my EDFC fully installed and working; I've been doing it in stages over the past few weeks. One slight setback early on was snapping a bolt in the engine bay, but I managed to drill it out and replace it. Other than that it was quite straight forward, it just takes a while as there's a lot of cable routing to do. Everything is powered off the 12V socket in the centre console, so it comes on with the ignition.

On to some pics, I only have a few as I kept forgetting to take my camera with me...

IMG_1321.jpg

Rear driver unit, cunningly stashed behind the toolkit...

IMG_1323.jpg

Rear motor, a bit of carpet cutting was required, but they look pretty neat all the same.

IMG_1324.jpg

Front driver unit (behind battery) and motor. The bolt I snapped is the shiny looking one just above the strut tower (with the earth strap).

IMG-20160702-WA0008.jpeg

Horrible phone pic of wiring installation. All the interior wiring runs through the centre console and through the passenger footwell. The interior signal converter and power filter are mounted behind the passenger side knee pad. The GPS unit is mounted under the nearside speaker, with the cable dropped down the back/side of the glove box.

IMG_1328.jpg

Everything back together, control unit looking nicely fitted, no crazy wires or such. I'm rather pleased with it, it was worth taking the time with I think.

Initial impressions are it's very impressive. I have it set to 48 (out of 64) at rest, then stiffening to 32 by 65 mph and adding up to 24 clicks of stiffness based on G forces. It's comfortably soft when slow, but nicely firm when you accelerate and corner.

Been trying out Lauren's settings, I rather like them, it makes the car nice and soft around town, but controls roll well when you push on.

Also, my car is back to RRG's ARC again next week, as I was rear ended by an Audi TT this morning. Not having much luck lately. :(