Rich

Rich's Ginger 86

Did a bit of sound testing this evening. Clocked 95 dB at 50 cm, not 100% sure I have the position right for a GT86 though, anyone happen to know exactly where the tester stands?

Also a video for anyone curious about how it sounds (it has a bit more bass and rumble in person):

I was 45 degrees off to one side; I'm not sure if that's correct for a twin exhaust car, or if it's supposed to be between the pipes. There wasn't anyone in front of me getting tested at Bedford that I could watch to see where the tester stood sadly.

I'm debating trying to get hold of a resonated midpipe, the non-res is pretty loud for daily use.

From Javelin's site (others may vary obviously)...

"The meter is placed at 0.5metres away from each exhaust outlet at a 45 degrees angle both horiizontally and vertically. The driver will be asked to rev the vehicle to 3/4s of it maximum engine revs.The reading will then be taken. In exceptional cirumstance some venue operators (not all) may increase this distance to 1 metre. This version of the test is usually only used if it is suspected that mechanical noise is giving a false reading. Rear engined car for example."

Never seen anyone test both pipes though...

Seeing as you mention noise, have you got the full system or just catback? Or does the manifold make that much difference to noise?

The thing is, it shouldn't be any louder than mine really, considering you've still got both cats. The manifold itself shouldn't make a huge difference. Let's see what it's like at the meet on Sunday. 

59 minutes ago, Mike said:

From Javelin's site (others may vary obviously)...

"The meter is placed at 0.5metres away from each exhaust outlet at a 45 degrees angle both horiizontally and vertically. The driver will be asked to rev the vehicle to 3/4s of it maximum engine revs.The reading will then be taken. In exceptional cirumstance some venue operators (not all) may increase this distance to 1 metre. This version of the test is usually only used if it is suspected that mechanical noise is giving a false reading. Rear engined car for example."

Never seen anyone test both pipes though...

Seeing as you mention noise, have you got the full system or just catback? Or does the manifold make that much difference to noise?

Useful, so my testing was probably about right. I have the manifold and secondary catback, but the manifold is decat so it increases noise a fair bit.

9 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The thing is, it shouldn't be any louder than mine really, considering you've still got both cats. The manifold itself shouldn't make a huge difference. Let's see what it's like at the meet on Sunday. 

I don't have both cats, the manifold replaces the primary cat with a straight pipe, hence the extra noise. I don't think it's that bad, just a little incessant at times. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

8 minutes ago, Tareim said:

sounds great to me, however if you want to quieten it down you should look at the invidia q300 catback

I'd probably go for swapping the midpipe to the resonated Milltek, rather than a whole new catback.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I'd probably go for swapping the midpipe to the resonated Milltek, rather than a whole new catback.

ah didn't realise you had the non res version

1 minute ago, CanaryWundaboy said:

Going totally catl-ess Rich?

Don't think so! I'd have to find a front pipe that's at least as quiet as the stock frontpipe. Also, I'm not sure if I'll pass an MOT now, but I definitely wouldn't decat. ;)

1 minute ago, CanaryWundaboy said:

Going totally catl-ess Rich?

Don't think so! I'd have to find a front pipe that's at least as quiet as the stock frontpipe. Also, I'm not sure if I'll pass an MOT now, but I definitely wouldn't decat. ;)

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

I dont think a quieter than stock front pipe exists.

JDL do an "ultra quiet" front pipe but what they really mean is quiet for an uncatted frontpipe.

11 minutes ago, Ade said:

I dont think a quieter than stock front pipe exists.

JDL do an "ultra quiet" front pipe but what they really mean is quiet for an uncatted frontpipe.

Hmm, maybe if I went resonated midpipe with a quiet front pipe that would work. Not planning to change the frontpipe in the short term though.

Sounds good Rich and good gains, love the deepness of it, just not a big fan of the raspy part personally, though think that's the Milltek rattling not the manifold so would love to hear this on a Cobra system.

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

Ah I see. Well you may well still be okay with the second cat remaining. Guess you'll find out next year come MOT time. ;)

I will, mine is October though...

Small update today. Yokohama Advan V105s fitted and car serviced by RRG Macclesfield. Also, tons of life left in my brake pads it turns out, only 30% worn at the front and 20% at the rear.

I also placed a deposit on some WedsSport TC105N wheels, so they'll be going on the car come June. :)

17x8, +42 offset. Should poke about 19 mm more than stock wheels, while being about 7 mm closer to the suspension struts. Hopefully they'll fill the arches nicely, and I don't think I'll have any problems with them fouling the suspension or arches.