Rich

Rich's Ginger 86

Sorry to hear Rich, my mate got rear ended the other night......for the 3rd time within a year/year and a half.....on the same bloody roundabout.  Hope it's nothing too serious and that you're OK....does that mean you won't be joining us tonight/tomorrow?  :(

Been trying out Lauren's settings, I rather like them, it makes the car nice and soft around town, but controls roll well when you push on.

Also, my car is back to RRG's ARC again next week, as I was rear ended by an Audi TT this morning. Not having much luck lately.

Oh, you are kidding! Hope it's not too bad.

I've only just got my other car back yesterday from being rear ended by an Audi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Sorry to hear Rich, my mate got rear ended the other night......for the 3rd time within a year/year and a half.....on the same bloody roundabout.  Hope it's nothing too serious and that you're OK....does that mean you won't be joining us tonight/tomorrow?  :(

It's not serious. Cracked diffuser at the back is the only visible damage. I'll be at Blyton tonight / tomorrow. :)

Suspension settings worked a treat at Blyton. I was running 32/32 base stiffness, then G-activated stiffening and it was composed over the bumpy sections but not too wallowy round the fast turns.

Audi A4 courtesy car dropped off yesterday morning. It's like sailing a boat compared to the 86. Also the clutch is horrible (no feel) and the throttle seems to have two settings; a tiny trickle of power and full boost. Not sure why people rate diesels for the slug of torque, I think it makes them awful to drive.

Car was returned last week in time for the breakfast meet at the weekend. Nice to be out of the Audi. I also tried dialling my suspension a little stiffer which I prefer feel wise; so it's now at 56 all round base and then Lauren's settings for speed and G adjustments.

First MOT today, I also had the wheel alignment done while it was in. Everything looking good, though the emissions test failed the first time (I only have the stock second cat):

KIMG0031.jpg

Alignment looking pretty good, though the rears have a bit too much camber, and it's not well aligned between left and right:

KIMG0030.jpg

Pondering whether adjustable rear arms are worth it...

It is tricky to get the rear camber set with those offset bushes. I have the same issue as it takes a lot of messing about to get them accurately matched. I've wondered about adjustable lower arms many a time. 

On 8/24/2016 at 9:30 PM, Rich said:

First MOT today, I also had the wheel alignment done while it was in. Everything looking good, though the emissions test failed the first time (I only have the stock second cat):

KIMG0031.jpg

Alignment looking pretty good, though the rears have a bit too much camber, and it's not well aligned between left and right:

KIMG0030.jpg

Pondering whether adjustable rear arms are worth it...

that's normal with the early cars rear cambers , go with Super Pro rear camber arm/toe arm kit works a treat. Shame the people aligning the car didnt sort the rear toe's out properly , the Thrust angle will not help needs to be zero thrust

Edited by Mark@Abbey M/S
cant spell,fat fingers

Not hugely so, but it's more that it just takes a little bit of effort to equalise, so why wouldn't you? It looks like there has been no adjustment to the rear toe here. Same at the front, it's important to equalise between axles. Gives a better steering feel as you equalise the length of the track rods on each side.  Just seeing it in the green is not enough for me I admit. But I used to do geo setups on Elises etc, I just took my time to always equalise the toe between each side. I didn't have fancy machines though, but would measure to a centralised datum point on the car and cross check it. 

I should add though you are talking Arc seconds here which is a very small amount. Had mine done today on the AE86 and watching Gary give the car a shake shows how fine a level of adjustment it is. So I wouldn't be too worried at all. It's within spec. 

New rear brake discs and pads today, went for Cosworth streetmasters to match the front. Getting the discs off was a right faff, ended up  using a hammer and bending the stock jack handle which I was using as a pry bar. Done now though, old pads were down the the wear limit.

IMG-20161016-WA0017.jpg

There should be a couple of threaded holes on the front of the disc, M8 or something, you can put a bolt in each one and tighten gradually until the disc cracks from from the hub. Anyway glad you got them off. Did you need to adjust the handbrake? My DBA discs were way off in that respect.