Paul

Paul's Pearl White '86

What a shame. :(

It's one of those experiences where I guess you learn the hard way. As can be expected in 17 years of track driving I've had the odd close call, but fortunately no damage. Tin top racing is another matter, but then you have other cars to hit and well, I've hit a few and a few have hit me. I totalled one nice RX8 at Brands Hatch in 2004, but fortunately Mazda UK, never said a thing! 

I do hope it's repairable, I guess fixing that rear three quarter is a big part of that. Fingers crossed on that count. 

17 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Is there anyone on this site who HASN'T binned their car on a trackday? (And no Lauren - you don't count because 'race driver')

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not had any contact or an off track incident. But I keep it in VSC mode and haven't done that many track days.

Edit: very sorry it happened to you Paul. Im no expert, but I'd really hope that's not a write off (thank god it's insured). Even it that state your car looks awesome - especially the rear diffuser. If it was me I'd be attempting to blame it entirely on @will300 for changing the suspension....

4 hours ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

I've not had any contact or an off track incident. But I keep it in VSC mode and haven't done that many track days.

Edit: very sorry it happened to you Paul. Im no expert, but I'd really hope that's not a write off (thank god it's insured). Even it that state your car looks awesome - especially the rear diffuser. If it was me I'd be attempting to blame it entirely on @will300 for changing the suspension....

@Bfranklyn86 Yeah.....not so much.

Doesn't look vastly different to the state of mine when I got rear ended by a confused elderly man in a Nissan Primera. RRG managed to bash out the wing ok...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ade said:

I have yet to insure mine for a trackday. All these knocks are making me nervous though :blink:

Maybe i'll just stick to bedford from now on...

I could have insured it for £150. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight it's a no brainer.

@Nicebiscuit I hope to God you're right.

The car's at RRG now so hopefully I'll know the score by Friday. "Not good" was Rich's initial assessment.

3 hours ago, Paul said:

I could have insured it for £150. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight it's a no brainer.

@Nicebiscuit I hope to God you're right.

The car's at RRG now so hopefully I'll know the score by Friday. "Not good" was Rich's initial assessment.

you say that however you would still have to pay the 1st couple grand (the excess) of the repair cost so unless it's a big accident that causes many thousands in damage you're not going to benefit too much from it

53 minutes ago, Tareim said:

you say that however you would still have to pay the 1st couple grand (the excess) of the repair cost so unless it's a big accident that causes many thousands in damage you're not going to benefit too much from it

It's probably not worth covering these for any more than £10k. The excess would only be around £1k max depending on the policy etc. Still a fraction of the cost of the repair needed for the type of shunt above.

2 hours ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

Paul are you having everything brand new or do you want us to keep our eyes open for any second hand parts?

such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-TOYOTA-GT86-BREAKING-REAR-BUMPER-IN-WHITE-K1X-AERO-KIT-/322444754705?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AGT+86&hash=item4b13347f11:g:tqgAAOSw~AVYvpvB

Yeah I'm keeping my eyes open, once I know the score on Friday I will start calling around to see what I can get hold of. I still have my original rear lights and exhaust, I'm more worried around the rear quarter panel and any structural damage. 

At this point thinking about all the "what ifs" are making me feel a bit ill so I'm trying to wait until I have all the facts before I start pulling threads.

10 hours ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

If it was me I'd be attempting to blame it entirely on @will300 for changing the suspension....

Well I'm not helping you with anything ever again.... :lol:

41 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Greenlight are worth looking at - £45 a time track cover with double your normal excess. Bargain.

Does that affect your NCB though? I rather like having them separate.

£115 for 14k of cover at Blyton for me FWIW.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Technically any claim could affect your ncb I guess but I protect mine so shouldn't be so much of an issue. Obviously insurance companies will use whatever policy you've claimed on as an excuse to bend you over though come renewal 😞

1 hour ago, will300 said:

Well I'm not helping you with anything ever again.... :lol:

I'm joooooking.....! To prove I'm joking, I'll invite you help my with my next suspension set up!!!!!

Protected NCB won't stop your insurance going up in the event of an accident. NCB is a discount off your total risk.

i.e. if your previous calculated risk was say £1000, and you had a 50% NCB discount, you would pay £500.

If you have an accident and your NCB is protected, next years calculated risk could be £2000 and you would retain your 50% NCB discount, so you would pay £1000.

12 hours ago, Rich said:

In terms of that cover, does that mean they'll pay up to £14k (minus excess) to fix it? I'd prefer that over something like Greenlight (I believe they just treat it like a road accident so anything approaching 10k would be written off?)

It would be worth clarifying with the insurer that you aren't under insuring. 

I.e. If the car is worth 20k, and you have 10k cover, an insurer may decide you are under insured and may only pay 50% of any claim. 

7 minutes ago, maurice said:

It would be worth clarifying with the insurer that you aren't under insuring. 

I.e. If the car is worth 20k, and you have 10k cover, an insurer may decide you are under insured and may only pay 50% of any claim. 

I will check if I was to go ahead. Certainly with Morris I spoke to a chap and gave him car value and value of insurance and he was happy with it. Think I was quote £450 for 6 trackdays in that case.