Paul

Paul's Pearl White '86

3 hours ago, Mike said:

How much was it for the boot holes to be filled?

It was about £600 for the boot holes and the front bumper work. About £300 each. More expensive for me due to the Pearl White paint, but they did  a good job.

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

It was about £600 for the boot holes and the front bumper work. About £300 each. More expensive for me due to the Pearl White paint, but they did  a good job.

:( definitely on the back burner then

Today I had a very busy day.

I had put aside some time today to change my rear lights to new sequential smoked Valentis, figured a 15 minute job and so I sealed the gaskets with some silicone sealant the night before and got straight on it this morning. Had the old lights off in a jiffy, poured about half a pint of water out of the right hand side light, plugged it all back in, snipped the bodged wire that I ran to the reverse light in a panic last year to get he reverse light working and took a few photos ready to bask in my glory. Photos taken, I jumped back in the drivers seat to re-park the car. Click. Nothing. Oh sh*t.

Of course I knew what the problem was. That bodge over a year ago had come back to haunt me in style. Without wanting to bodge up my brand new lights there was only one thing for it, the new reverse light had to go on as well. I was prepared for this of course, I had acquired a jack and some axle stands, and Stu had kindly lent me his axle stands and a pair of ramps, all of which I was going to put to use sorting my front splitter out on Sunday with the help of a mate. But desperate times and a non-working car meant desperate measures, so I had a toastie and a diet coke and got back to work.

First time putting a car up on ramps - check.
First time jacking up the car by the diff - check.
First time using axle stands - check.
First time crawling under a car suspended inches from my nose - check.

In for a penny in for a pound. I knew that the location of the reverse light was a PITA due to the efforts my mechanic mate put in to change it last time, so I was prepared for the eventuality that the exhaust would have to come off. 3 hours, lots of brute force and WD40 later I had the exhaust off, the new reverse light on and clipped and everything working like it was brand new again.

I would like to apologise to my neighbours, as I fired up the car to check the reverse light worked while the backbox was still on the floor of my driveway. It was epic, only slightly less loud than Ztox's exhaust normally. ^^

Finally the car was back in one piece, everything working, I just had time to drill a new rear license plate out and the work was done!

Before (old pic):

IMG_1576.jpg

After:

IMG_3542.jpg

Feelin' pretty chuffed to be honest!

5 hours ago, nikndel said:

You have been busy Paul looks great hopefully your new lights will be water free

Yeah having taken the gaskets off the ones ones they're filthy! Going to give them a good clean, get them defogged and then sell them on.

Thankfully there isn't much left for me to do to the car now, wheels are getting done this week hopefully then the detailing and wrapping and then the brakes. It will be finished (bar wing) by the TD Open Day.

Good work! I still think if you have to have a square plate, 12x6" will look better as it's the same size as the JDM plate. 

I had a 12 x 6 and I preferred the slightly bigger 13 x 7 for some reason, maybe because it matches the front so it's easier to remember!

Smoked Valenti's do look good

On 25/02/2017 at 11:22 PM, Paul said:

I would like to apologise to my neighbours, as I fired up the car to check the reverse light worked while the backbox was still on the floor of my driveway. It was epic, only slightly less loud than Ztox's exhaust normally. ^^

you do know you can turn the ignition on to check it's working without starting the car?

34 minutes ago, Tareim said:

Smoked Valenti's do look good

you do know you can turn the ignition on to check it's working without starting the car?

I needed to check the reverse light and it didn't seem to come on when the car wasn't actually running?

1 minute ago, Paul said:

I needed to check the reverse light and it didn't seem to come on when the car wasn't actually running?

even with the ignition on it wouldn't work?

Nice Paul! :) I do prefer it all smoked

2 hours ago, Varelco said:

The 13x7 is a bit more inconspicuous than a 12x6 in terms of being illegal. Although ultimately they are both illegal but i doubt a copper would notice.

Ah really? I could be wrong but I thought 13x7 was legit? I'll be honest I partly got 13x7 because it doesn't have the small letters that a 12x6 has so I thought they were okay. After I got it I realised I didn't actually care but I actually like the fitment of the 13x7.

12x6 is legal on a JDM import though and as these don't have the long 'strip' recess most people would probably just assume it's a grey import.

1 hour ago, Ztox said:

Nice Paul! :) I do prefer it all smoked

Ah really? I could be wrong but I thought 13x7 was legit? I'll be honest I partly got 13x7 because it doesn't have the small letters that a 12x6 has so I thought they were okay. After I got it I realised I didn't actually care but I actually like the fitment of the 13x7.

12x6 is legal on a JDM import though and as these don't have the long 'strip' recess most people would probably just assume it's a grey import.

The letter of the law in terms of number plates is down to sizing and spacing of lettering, colour of plate, font and the legal marks in terms of manufacturer. There's no requirement for the plate to be a particular size as far as I can see. The letters on the 13x7 plate are exactly the same size as on my old rectangular plate, and the letters are spaced exactly the same.

1 minute ago, Ztox said:

Sorry @Paul, that's what I meant. I initially went with 13x7 because the 12x6 has smaller lettering.

Well I mis-drilled my 12x6 rear plate so the 13x7 was the default choice! :D