smudge

Smudge's UK Tour!

Since I first saw this advertised back in September 2014, I've been gearing up to take part in Pure Rally UK which is essentially a scaled down version of the Gumball Rally for the UK.

http://www.purerally.co.uk/

This involves a gruelling journey of over 1,000miles in just 4 days up and down the UK, broken up by go karting, parties every night and a full team of staff to ensure you're experience is the best it can be.

Pure%20Rally%20Route_zpsr3myl0ix.png

Starting from Ace Café in West London on Friday 1st May, we then venture to:

Cardiff

Manchester (2nd May)

Edinburgh (3rd May)

and back to London (4th May)

Luckily I'll have a co-driver to share some of the driving, but nevertheless it's still a heck of a journey!

The car is currently being serviced at Abbey Motorsport to ensure she's all good to go for her 1,000 mile tour. Baring in mind that I don't even do 1,000 miles in a month, this is very different to the norm for my car. I'm have no doubts it'll be a stroll in the park for the GT86, but with the likes of Aston Martin V12's, BMW M5's, Porsche 911's and a bunch of other insanely quick cars, she will be tested along the way.

So, I thought I'd make a little "diary" of my experience. I know the guys that run it really well and this is their biggest year by far. But with plans for another 3 UK rallies in 2015, a London to Paris to Barcelona run and possibly an American Rally in 2016, these events will just get bigger and better.

I'll be updating this later on in the week with the car all stickered up and ready to go and then making updates along the way (when I manage to...) so you can all keep a lookout for me or any of the other Pure Rally cars over the weekend.

I'm doing this with 3 of my closest friends and we've all put a lot of time, effort and money into making sure we do this in style ;)

Awesome, man! And you never mentioned a frigging word!

I am really, really, envious.

Timed road sections? Any circuit experiences, or just karting?

<.. musing...>

Hmm... if 50 of us put in £300 each we could buy/prepare a 'Club' GT86 for next year... I'd throw in my tonka toy as support vehicle... bring it ON!!!....

Spec K

Timed road sections? Any circuit experiences, or just karting?

<.. musing...>

Hmm... if 50 of us put in £300 each we could buy/prepare a 'Club' GT86 for next year... I'd throw in my tonka toy as support vehicle... bring it ON!!!....

It's not a real rally, it's just expensive/nice cars in convoy visiting places and partying.

It's not a real rally, it's just expensive/nice cars in convoy visiting places and partying.

Bring it on!

I love partying.. so long as nursey doesn't get an invite, those pyjamas she straps me into are so scratchy...

I fancy the Barca run in August...

Spec K

The Barca run is very tempting! No timed road sections though Keith, it's more of a jolly up with some expensive cars, expansive bars and a load of nutters!

Can't wait for tomorrow to get he car a ready

Nothing like last minute preparation eh?!

Just try and avoid the M6 if you can as they have average speed cameras everywhere on that stretch past Birmingham

Sounds like an awesome trip though buddy! I'm sure the 86 will hold its own!

Just try and avoid the M6 if you can as they have average speed cameras everywhere on that stretch past Birmingham

Sounds like an awesome trip though buddy! I'm sure the 86 will hold its own!

I saw a Gallardo on the opposite side of the M6 the other day... looked so wrong to see one doing 50mph on it's own!

I saw a Gallardo on the opposite side of the M6 the other day... looked so wrong to see one doing 50mph on it's own!

Exactly the same on the A14 and A12 too! Everything feels so pedestrian at that speed :( 

I don't know the route exactly but I think we're trying to avoid the M6 from what I've heard. The drive across the Brecon and from Manchester to Edinburgh will be fun!

Just to give you an idea of some of the other cars on this, and what my car will be looking like (hopefully!) tomorrow:

IMG-20150426-WA0009_zpsol8vjchx.jpg

IMG-20150427-WA0000_zpscwedtyod.jpg

IMG-20150427-WA0010_zpsbbx1puog.jpg

IMG-20150428-WA0014_zpslbv5sm0q.jpg

IMG-20150428-WA0017_zpsxjg2hfjk.jpg

*gulp*...

Been absolutely flat out since we started

So Friday morning it was an early start to get to Ace Cafe in West London. We were one of the 1st to turn up and were a bit sceptical at first, but then some of the big boy cars rolled in...

20150501_095105_zpsgtqj6w10.jpg

Over 50 cars ranging from a A reg SL Mercedes to the Aventador. Seat Ibiza, Audi RS4, Aston V12 vantage, M3's, various Porches and BMWs. A great mix of cars with a great bunch of people

So we started out at about 10am, did some go Lartington near Cardiff before pulling into the hotel. Headed out into town for an awesome night out leaving us all a bit fuzzy this morning...

But we all sobered up pretty quickly after some breakfast and headed into the Welsh Valleys

20150502_122749_zpsluhqqfkl.jpg

Some fantastic driving roads despite some poor weather, before stopping at a great little pub for a BBQ and a drink for some co drivers

More driving into the Welsh countryside before heading up the M5 to Manchester where we had a convoy of about 20 cars at one point. We should have some awesome footage put together a few days after we finish so I'll be sure to upload that

All in all, fantastic value for money so far and a great bunch of fellow enthusiasts with a range of cars and backgrounds. One guy in a Porsche GT2 decided to have a row with the staff saying he expected more and was disgusted by it all, and everyone else's response was along the lines of "what did you want for £300?!"

We've been put in great hotels, breakfast included everyday, a party in a privately hired part of a club each night and a chance to drive with a bunch of similarly minded people around the UK. Fantastic value in my mind!

Tonight we're supposed to be watching the big fight but I doubt we'll make it to 4/5am if we have to be up and on the road by 11am for the trip to Edinburgh...

Car is getting compliments left, right and centre. Mainly about how awesome she sounds but also how it's surprising a few people with the power. She's done us proud so far!

20150502_143824_zpspw4zytpd.jpg

Only major incident is the Aventador has apparently developed an issue on today's route...what a shame!

20150502_133718_zpsqtrrnesu.jpg

Oh and the MR2 has decided to throw a strop every now and then but has made it here safely in the end.

Loads and loads of video footage which I'll make into something short and sweet at some point

Awesome stuff dude, looks like an awesome event. What exactly was the Porsche dude expecting? What was he problem?

I dunno but I think he was a bit stuck up in my opinion. He wasn't really talking to anyone else, whereas everyone else is so alike we all just mingled and chatted like we'd known everyone for years

Don't need people like that on it anyway. The organisers can provide you with a basic level of entertainment but it's down to the individuals to make the most of it by getting involved

Time for some breakfast before team briefing at 11.30 and then leave for Edinburgh! Woop woop!

Just checked in at the hotel in Edinburgh. Had a couple of stop off points along the way so everyone could convoy together which was just epic. The little town of Moffat didn't know what was going on as we essentially doubled the population with 60 cars rolling in for a quick break before a spirited drive into Edinburgh along the back roads

Time for a drink, relax and get ready for the finishing party before a 10 hours drive home tomorrow...lots of pictures and videos are being uploaded so I'll hopefully get a chance to post some soon

How are you finding the car Smudge? Dealing with everything you are throwing at it so far??

Absolutely mate

It's the 1st chance I've really had to throw her into some twisty roads as there's nothing near me in London. Stuck to the road like glue in the bends, catching a lot of the big boys out in a straight line too

Found a whole new love for her this weekend