Mark@Abbey M/S

Abbey Motorsport GT86 Development car

Ooooh exciting times....so what will happen to the current Sprintex kit?   ;)

This may be a bit of a silly question but I can understand getting forged internals to withstand more power from FI but what benefits can an NA car get from forged internals?

Will be no more lift if they work, but given the duration is variable with the VVTi is there really much to gain by that? 

Keith if you went for forged rod, a higher rev limit is possible. Thought the crank was already forged and strong anyway. If we're talking cams, we're talking higher revs anyway. 

Will be no more lift if they work, but given the duration is variable with the VVTi is there really much to gain by that? 

AVCS (we have a Subaru, use the correct terms) doesn't affect duration. Duration is the amount of cam angle where the valve is open, the cam lobes can't magically be re-ground by the ECU.

Mark, I thought the increased lift of the HKS cams was to allow for the stroked crank (less the reduction in piston height)... although 0.7mm doesn't sound a lot..

Spec K

Mark, I thought the increased lift of the HKS cams was to allow for the stroked crank (less the reduction in piston height)... although 0.7mm doesn't sound a lot..

Spec K

Keith, increased lift and increased capacity means more power.

The HKS pistons have a bigger valve cut out than the stock piston for the increased lift. The increase in compression comes from the longer stroke I think but I think they have lifted the big end gudgeon pin up in the piston or using a shorter rod to allow for the extra stroke.

Piper Cams have increased lift and duration? They don't list them on their site yet, but someone like Mark could probably get the info from them for us.

I can confirm that one of the models they offer has a 12.35mm lift on the inlet, with a 284 degree duration. The exhaust has 12.00mm lift and a 274 degree duration. 59 degree overlap.

The others range from 11.30 to 12.00mm lift and 262 to 272 duration.

All this is well and good, but we must remember the shitty spring seat pressures of these engines in stock form and also the probable unreliability of the roller rockers if asked to do more work..

AVCS (we have a Subaru, use the correct terms) doesn't affect duration. Duration is the amount of cam angle where the valve is open, the cam lobes can't magically be re-ground by the ECU.

Fair enough, AVCS, but changing the timing of the cams alters the duration does it not?

Piper Cams have increased lift and duration? They don't list them on their site yet, but someone like Mark could probably get the info from them for us.

I can confirm that one of the models they offer has a 12.35mm lift on the inlet, with a 284 degree duration. The exhaust has 12.00mm lift and a 274 degree duration. 59 degree overlap.

The others range from 11.30 to 12.00mm lift and 262 to 272 duration.

All this is well and good, but we must remember the shitty spring seat pressures of these engines in stock form and also the probable unreliability of the roller rockers if asked to do more work..

Agreed, some images on the american site regarding the rockers look like you've got to be pretty careful about just whacking in a set of springs and going for 9K rpm, nice though that would be

Fair enough, AVCS, but changing the timing of the cams alters the duration does it not?

I think the variable Cam timing will change the actual timing and possibly the overlap, but, unless it is fast enough to alter the cam position relative to the crank during valve opening, it won't alter duration.

No, it moves the valve opening/closing earlier or later by retarding/advancing the cams. It doesn't work by purposefully rotating the cams while the valves are open, I doubt the oil actuation would be quick enough. Obviously there may be a chance of minimal duration change as the cams move but that's not the intended operation.

The cam control allows you to move the cams to give the best VE ( volumetric efficiency) through out the RPM range the motor uses.

A cam needs to be move advanced at lower RPM to allow the cylinder to be filled efficiency  and more retarded at high RPM.

NA and FI cams set up are normally a little different also you can move the powerband around by playing with cam angle.

Probably a stupid question, but I assume the HKS cam kit compliments the differences the stroker kit makes?

More duration = intake valves open longer and exhaust valves open longer. Put simply, greater time to fill the extra capacity. Extra lift also helps with this.