Nige's GT86

http://www.86forums.com.au/index.php?/topic/1954-streetfxcomau-rocket-bunny-widebody-500hp-fa20-turbo-86-build-thread/

This guy is the world leader in FA20 GT86 tuning I believe?? He's spent over $150000 Aus apparently!!

Yep, I know that guy. He went from being the first TRD in AUS to the first Avo Customer in Aus to the first Twincharged GT in Aus (World?)...

Go on Nige, loving your project so far, show us all what's possible

Right now, all I can show you is that it takes hours to remove all the silicone sealant from the casings!! Oh, and that the casings look great in the utility room after a final wash in hot water to remove the silicone dissolver.

Yep, I know that guy. He went from being the first TRD in AUS to the first Avo Customer in Aus to the first Twincharged GT in Aus (World?)...

I just remembered, MRT built a twin charged '86 in Australia, completed in October last year. It was relatively tame in comparison using an AVO stage 1 kit and a Sprintex SC.

I wonder how a Stage 3 AVO kit and a Cosworth SC will go together :rolleyes:

Why would I want to replace my up to date beautifully designed little boxer with a honking great straight six! Been there done that with three Skyline GTR's.

The more I look at the engine in pieces the more I love it. It is a beautiful little design with some quirky little features, such as the piston head and combustion chamber design. It's all be done for a reason and its all quite quirky!!

If I ever blow this engine up it'll probably get a Lexus V8 thrown in?

I am a very happy chap. I've just come off the phone after a long chat with Adrian, and have bought an AVO turbo kit and new rod bearings.

Which AVO kit did I buy? Stage 1... No, Stage 2......No, Stage 3....No, I have bought the new Stage 4 kit with ceramic coated manifold, larger intercooler and piping and larger billet compressor.

I think I'm the first UK customer??  Lucky me, what a Christmas present!!

Do you have any timescale for your project Nige?

Hi Nik,

I don't have a planned completion date as yet. I can tell you one things for sure... The car will be tested NA on 10:1 CR just to see what it's like. Before then I've got to do some painting, which means waiting till warmer weather arrives? I'm old, but I think I probably have enough years left to build this little beast..

This thread has been void of piccies lately, so I thought I'd add some for you all. I have noticed you all post pics of your beautiful cars, wearing their latest additions and mods... so here's mine.

Looks just great doesn't she??

IMG_2785.jpg

Some engine pics for those that may be interested. This has got to be the most complex combustion chamber I've ever seen!!

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

I thought it was a little cold and damp for the parts out in the garage, so they've all come in , and can be reassembled in the house, to stay nice and warm and dry.

IMG_2784.jpg

Heads just rinsed in the sink. Oh how good it is to be a Batchelor lol.

IMG_2783.jpg

All the parts are on their way now, so the build will soon begin.. Thanks for your interest.

Love the tea towel Nige must get one of them!

That's not a tea towel Nik, that's an old blanket. It is used on the car if I risk splashing it or am doing something that is dusty. My Tea towel is in my kitchen and is covered in pics of WW2 vehicles lol.

All joking apart so you are changing Pistons and Con rods what plans for there heads valves etc and basically how far can you advance this engine I feel we are getting more insight than working at a Toyota dealers for a lengthy period of time

Rods will be Carrillo, Pistons are to be 10:1 Forged CP. New bearings, ARP mains and head studs, new stock bearings and new stock gaskets.

The standard valve springs are very soft, so I am waiting for someone to come up with tougher springs and rockers. Soft springs are great at reducing engine wear on a stock motor, why would the manufacturers fit strong springs if they're not required?

The problem comes when boosting, the pressure behind the valve, in the inlet manifold will damp the valve closing, or in extreme cases hold it open!!

Which raises another question in my mind... what pressure will the standard plastic intake manifold take before splitting open??

Obviously the standard manifold will not take enough pressure, please design a new one with lovely chromed intake runners for more under bonnet bling :-) it will also be awesome as well of course...

Since you have it in bits, how about some photos of the stripped intake manifold for reference...?

All looks good otherwise :-)

I would ask about it Keith, but I'm afraid GTNige doesn't reply to my messages for some reason?

I have seen the casting, it is beautiful as you say!!

Obviously the standard manifold will not take enough pressure, please design a new one with lovely chromed intake runners for more under bonnet bling :-) it will also be awesome as well of course...

Since you have it in bits, how about some photos of the stripped intake manifold for reference...?

All looks good otherwise :-)

You are all welcome to ask for any pics you like as I have my engine apart. Don't worry about thread hijacking, just ask.

I guess we could actually start a new thread in Mechanical, and call it engine pics?