Nige's GT86

You are all welcome to ask for any pics you like as I have my engine apart. Don't worry about thread hijacking, just ask.

I guess we could actually start a new thread in Mechanical, and call it engine pics?

Good idea Nigel! 

I see Rob has a page worth of "Waiting for delivery" stuff, so I'm doing the same here.. :P Only I'll tell you what I'm waiting for..

ARP Mains and Head Bolts from USA :angry:

Carrillo Rods from Abbey

CP Pistons from Abbey

Ali Sump from Abbey

Gear box mount from Ebay UK

Cusco Engine Mounts from Japan

AVO Stage 4 Turbo kit from Fensport :wub:

And now, what I have already...

Fensport Ali Prop shaft

Fidanza Ali Flywheel

Helix Organic Clutch

Perrin 3" Cat Back

Ohlins DFV Coil Overs

Japspeed stiffening braces

Subaru Gasket kit

Toyota Big ends

Toyota Air Con delete pulley

Three Bond Sealant

Rocket Bunny Body kit

Fitted:-

Valenti rear light clusters

Whiteline Diff Bushes

Super Pro Rear subframe bushes

Stupid Sound Tube removal bung :ph34r:

Think I better declare sorn, it's gonna be off the road for a while??

you're going the right way for bankruptcy as well!!  :blink:

As long as I don't check my balance I should be OK, I'll just wait for the letters to arrive. :o

OK, what have we been up to today...

I have dummy built the main engine casings.. note the homemade engine lift eye at the front. It's simply an M16 fine bolt with nut and a 7/16 unf eyebolt in it.

DummyBuild1.jpg

DummyBuild.jpg

Then put it back in the car...

Dummybuildin.jpg

Dummybuildin1.jpg

But, can anyone guess why??? Here's a clue..

Post.jpg

I'm just off out to take it out again now.

Jesus nige you don't do things by half measures do you!

I'm having fun Nik!! The engine is out again now and is back in the house in pieces..

So, are you going for air con delete? Can I ask why...?

To remove the condenser from the front of the radiator, to reduce a little bit of weight and drag on the engine and because I live in the UK. Oh, and because I want to.

As long as I don't check my balance I should be OK, I'll just wait for the letters to arrive. :o

Letter from Barclays -

"

Dear Customer,

Reviewing the activity of your account may I please remind you -

you bank with us, we don't bank with you..

Sincerely

Robin Bstewards

"

Spec K

I don't bank with Barclays Keith, so if I do get that letter you describe, I know I'm really in trouble!!

On a serious not regarding finances.. I had a deposit down on a new GT3, Porsche let me down, so I decided to build something rather than just buy it and watch it depreciate. This is much more fun, however, the GT3's aren't depreciating at all :(

Any body want to hazard a guess why I put the engine back in for such a short amount of time???

Twin-turbo charging?

No mate, this car will only ever have one turbo, but it may be twin charged one day?

Any more guesses?

Marking where the plugs can be accessed from the front wheel tubs for holes to be drilling for ease of changing plugs?

You win the star prize Adam. That is exactly what I've been up to.

Good idea - saw it on the GPRM Britcar..

Spec K

I was there too Keith, I thought "ooh, what a good idea". I'm going to ask my MOT tester if he'll have any issues before I cut metal though.

Truth is, welding in these CDS tubes will probably not weaken the area at all. It may even stiffen the rails up in the twisting moment?

Well, MOT tester is happy that he'll pass the car with this mod. It is not directly adjacent to any suspension pick up point, and he said as long as the welding is continuous all round the tube, he'll be happy.

If it holds out on a brilliant GPRM race car, I'm sure it's good enough for my measly effort..

So, here is a pic of the right hand "tool" in use. Note the circular mark on the leg adjacent to the tool.

RHpost.jpg

And the left...

LHpost1.jpg

On another note, I sent the drawing off for the Torque plate to be made today. I'll get the bores honed out to correct clearance in a restrained condition. Luckily I have 4 B grade bores, which are smaller than A grade bores.

Hmmm you can tell i haven't removed the spark plugs yet, I had not realised it was so awkward.

Oh yes Mark, it is pretty awkward from what I've seen. Apparently the engine needs to be lifted a couple of inches to get to them, which entails disconnecting the exhaust I think?

I figure that for my car, the plugs will need a lot of checking and possibly changing, so this job is a must.

I will measure up the points to be drilled, just in case anyone else fancies having a go?