Nige's GT86

I'm sat in the pub, on the net, and have just ordered a full FIA spec cage from Custom Cages.

Now the work can really start on th project car instead of all this Cat C strip down and rebuild stuff!!

I'm always on the phone in the Pub James. It's where I do all my parts selection and ordering.

I could be sociable, but I find sourcing car parts more interesting than last nights football results or who's slept with who this week lol.

Just a quickie..

Got my engine parts back from Rob Walker.. Front pulley, Crank, Flywheel, Clutch, Rods and pistons all balanced.

I also got him to hone the bores with my new torque plate fitted. He is a master at his job, the honing on these bores is exceptional..

Torque%20plate%20on%20block.jpg

Block%20halves%20honed.jpg

This will have top wait a while until I get my other engine built and running.

Now that Steve's car is all pretty much done and dusted, I can get stuck back into the shell prep on my proper project, and boy does it feel good to be back on it!!

The full cage is on order and due imminently, so I have started to remove metal brackets that will be in the way and those that no longer serve a purpose.

Here's how she looks right now, on the right,

Rear%20Right.jpg

and left...

Rear%20left.jpg

The brackets which have been removed, quite a weight saving already!!

Removed%20brackets.jpg

This program of weight saving on the shell will continue relentlessly until it's all pretty and painted. I'm thinking the boot floor might be happier if it was one flat sheet of aluminium??

+1 on the boot floor, makes the inside look much nicer and 'finished'

*if you want me to remove these pics since its your thread let me know.

RadBox.jpg

8b2352e6.jpg

image5_zps72a6934c.jpeg

as you can see it went through various incarnations for cooling reasons. But a nice bit of alloy looks good in the back.

Nige / Lee

Is the spare wheel well cut out before fitting the aluminium panel?  I need to remove the spare wheel well from my TSS Yaris and fit a flat floor in order to make room for the rear exhaust box I will be using.

Dave

Oh yes Dave, you will definitly need to remove the boot floor/wheel well before fitting.

You may be able to get a small xmember in there too once the well is gone. On the '86, there is a sort of x member which is compromised by the well. It has a great bi curve in it!! GREAT!!!

*if you want me to remove these pics since its your thread let me know.

Please leave the pictures just where they are Lee. We need all the race car pics we can get these days, especially home built ones that cost less then 45 million to build lol.

The front crash beam on Steve's car had to be cut to allow the intercooler pipework to come through it. I have fitted the untouched beam to Steve's car and am repairing this one to use.. but for what...

repair sections made..

Rotisserie%202.jpg

Welded on..

Rotisserie%203.jpg

Fitted to the shell..

Rotisserie%204.jpg

Note there are two vertical beams on it now, but why??

Here's a shot of the rear end..

Rotisserie%205.jpg

All will become clear later on...

Dead right Lee. I'll stick some pics up later cos I can't work out how to do it off my iPhone.

As promised, here are some pics of the GT86 shell at all sorts of funny angles...

Rotisserie%206.jpg

Rotiserie%207.jpg

Rotisserie%208.jpg

In these pics the body is clamped to the rotisserie by g clamps and the frames have no castors fitted. This has all been dealt with now, I just need to work out how I'll get the body up high enough to fit the frames??

I thought I'd start a blog on what I am doing with my Toyota GT86. I bought the car on September 1st this year, with a plan to modify the car to death. I previously had a new Porsche, which I was scared to take apart because of its value vs. Warranty.. I discovered that I enjoy modifying cars more than just driving them. The GT 86 was the perfect choice in my opinion, I believe it is a canvas that you can throw money and time at all you want to.. 

I came across this picture...

photo.jpg

That was it.. my mind was made up.. I wanted a white RB v1.

After covering only 100 miles in the car, I decided it was time to start stripping things.

First things first, I needed to find a way of using normal axle stands without damaging my sills, so I designed and made these little nylon beauties...

Jackstands1.jpg

They sit on the jacking point of the sill and allow the front or rear to be raised by any amount without causing any damage to the car whatsoever.

Jackstands.jpg

Jackstands2.jpg

Hello,

I realise this thread is old now, however it is still really interesting and informative.

I was wondering whether you had the dimensions o those bushes you made to fit onto your jacks, specifically the bits that fit to the car. If can always go and measure up and design something specific to my own jacks, I was just wondering about the kind of dimension ratios if you had them to hand.
I also wondered where you sourced the polyurethane to make up each piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Septic.Tank said:

Hello,

I realise this thread is old now, however it is still really interesting and informative.

I was wondering whether you had the dimensions o those bushes you made to fit onto your jacks, specifically the bits that fit to the car. If can always go and measure up and design something specific to my own jacks, I was just wondering about the kind of dimension ratios if you had them to hand.
I also wondered where you sourced the polyurethane to make up each piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nige got banned so you won't get a response I'm afraid.