Nige's GT86

Guys a V8! will spoil the awesome handling of these lovely little pocket rockets it is like fitting V8 into a S13/14/15 one way to make a car to front heavy!

A V6 yes can be fitted far enough back in the chassis to keep the awesome handling!

I know a couple of motors that will fit nicely as well.

Hi Tim nice to see you over here.

Guys a V8! will spoil the awesome handling of these lovely little pocket rockets it is like fitting V8 into a S13/14/15 one way to make a car to front heavy!

A V6 yes can be fitted far enough back in the chassis to keep the awesome handling!

I know a couple of motors that will fit nicely as well.

Hi Tim nice to see you over here.

Cheers Mark.

I've got a 2GR supercharged motor in for work at the moment.  Its tempting to measure up :)

Nige, i have a 2x 2GR blocks here stripped.  Want to dummy one up in your engine bay tomorrow see how it fits?

Come on round!! We might have some issues with clearance for the crane as the car is front in, in the garage. You wont tempt me though Tim!! I think I'd go 2JZ if I broke my flat four??

You could also bring a 5mm ball if you have one?

Come on round!! We might have some issues with clearance for the crane as the car is front in, in the garage. You wont tempt me though Tim!! I think I'd go 2JZ if I broke my flat four??

You could also bring a 5mm ball if you have one?

Sorry mate couldn't find one.  The block is pretty light.  Will put a pair of empty heads on it too.  Might be later on in day, i'll let you know.

Because of the cold weather I've been unable to do any welding this weekend, so I thought I'd get my gearbox back together.

Here it is half built, with all those lovely shiny super finished gears..

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

Then we can see sixth gear sitting on top of the main case..

IMG_3011.jpg

It's all back together now, and back in the house to keep the damp air away from all those lovely gears. Once it's in the car with oil in it the damp air won't be an issue, but until then I won't take any chances...

Once tested, this 'box will be for sale, or if someone desperately needs one now, get in touch....

I've been busy making the new adjustable rod for the headlight adjustment tonight. Centre is home made stainless steel, nuts are stainless half nuts and balls are right and left hand threaded so the length can be adjusted without removing from the car.

Left is stock, centre is adjusted to stock length and right is set for 50mm dropped suspension. If more is needed, threads can be removed, but it will then be impossible to return it to stock length.

light%20leveller_1.jpg

This is a double post as it is actually in the mods section all about this subject, but the middle one is for my car, so it's appropriate here on my build page.

And here we can see the link fitted to my car. Yes, the rear suspension is all that's left attached to the shell!!

post-575-0-05611500-1423084400_thumb.jpg

And here we can see the link fitted to my car. Yes, the rear suspension is all that's left attached to the shell!!

Another little welding update here..

Do you know what these are for??

IMG_3015.jpg

They're for holding sheet metal panels together for butt welding with minimal mis match.. like this..

IMG_3014.jpg

This is how I'm blocking up the hole left by the air conditioning pipework, no longer required on my car...

Here we are with the panel tack welded in place and the tools removed..

IMG_3016.jpg

To weld this very thin sheet together, you need to weld with a series of tacks to avoid distortion. It looks messy..

IMG_3017.jpg

Once dressed, it looks like this...

IMG_3018.jpg

Finally, I noticed some very large lightening holes on the front cross member, which make the area very weak, on purpose I assume for dynamic crash crumpling?. Well, I wanted to strengthen the area as I will be using more power and bigger brakes than the car was ever designed for..

So, they had to be welded up with penny washers. This should enhance the rigidity of the area?

IMG_3019.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and thanks for all your compliments. I look forward to you all seeing this mess in the flesh...

Nige,  Your workmanship never ceases to impress and amaze me bow.gif  respekt.gif

When you are done on your GT86, I have some work I need to discuss with you on my project wink.gif

When you are done on your GT86, I have some work I need to discuss with you on my project wink.gif

Don't wait for me to finish this one, talk to me now Dave. I also need your address so I can send you your free gift!!

Have you not seen the thread on headlight levelling rods Dave?? There you'll find a clue to your gift..

I will be about tomorrow, Saturday.

Have you not seen the thread on headlight levelling rods Dave?? There you'll find a clue to your gift..

I will be about tomorrow, Saturday.

Nige, you have a PM  :)

I took advantage of the relatively warm weather today and cracked on with some welding. I think I've finished on the inside.. for now;)

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

Note the paper all over all the glass. If you ever have a go at this remember to cover all the glass up as the sparks from a welder or grinder will literally stick to the glass and leave a small indent as they burn there way onto the surface. Don't ask me how I know this....

Here's another reason why progress is a little slow... she's a demanding little beggar who loves being out in the garage with Dad!!

IMG_3023.jpg

I hope to have the engine bay totally seam welded this week and then it's on to painting it all.

Nige can I ask what are the benefits to all of this welding that you are doing? not something I've really looked into before so curious if there is much benefit (not that I'd do it to mine)

Having had the privilege of seeing all the work that Nige is putting into his car yesterday, all I can say is I am really impressed.  The attention to detail is unbelievable.  Once it is finished, this will without doubt be the No.1 GT86!   As for all the special bits inside the house for it, it is going to go as well as it will look.

Nige can I ask what are the benefits to all of this welding that you are doing? not something I've really looked into before so curious if there is much benefit (not that I'd do it to mine)

I think it's to stiffen up the bulkhead? Just an assumption though, as Nigel, I don't think you mentioned why you are doing it :D

As Rob said, it is to stiffen the shell. The idea being that the seams between panels can move a little when they are only spot welded, so if you seam weld them they will be stiffer... Looking at the photos I'm not sure how noticeable this will be since the seams seem to be in reasonable positions to minimise this effect in the first place and the shell is already pretty stiff, but then, every little helps and Nige is doing a pretty stunning job so far!!