Nige's GT86

I built a rotisserie for my last project and sold it. If I wanted to flip this one I'd have to strip it completely including glass, which I really don't want to do just yet.

So chaps, here we have a little update on my slow but moving forward project.

I have done all the underside welding first. Boy oh boy, I HATE welding upside down, particularly when your dealing with galv coating and remnants of seam sealer in the joints.

Still, that horrible bit is done now, so we can move on to welding the right way up!!

IMG_2978.jpg

You can see that this pretty much all the welding required to stitch the front rails into the bulkhead of the car.

IMG_2979.jpg

Looking inside, we can see the penetration, helping to make the shell pretty rigid.

IMG_2980.jpg

Thanks for looking. I may get more done today, but I feel the cold will prevent this as my mask keeps fogging up. I tried wearing a scarf round my nose and mouth, but it just got wet and cold!!

So chaps, here we have a little update on my slow but moving forward project.

I have done all the underside welding first. Boy oh boy, I HATE welding upside down, particularly when your dealing with galv coating and remnants of seam sealer in the joints.

Still, that horrible bit is done now, so we can move on to welding the right way up!!

Thanks for looking. I may get more done today, but I feel the cold will prevent this as my mask keeps fogging up. I tried wearing a scarf round my nose and mouth, but it just got wet and cold!!

Looks great.  A pint of speckled hen for me please :)

Simple little update guys. I have been doing welding on a very limited scale due to the cold weather and a Puppy that demands my attention. Obviously, she can't come out in the garage when I'm welding, but that doesn't stop her crying the house down, just to be with her Dad!!

I have been on the phone to Mr Smith from Fensport again today. My bank account is about to take another beating!!

We had a fairly lengthy chat about how my car is coming along and where it's going... remember I bought a helix clutch kit and Fidanza flywheel.. it's gone back today. I will be getting a twin plate race clutch now, with its own custom flywheel. I'm also going to be going to a Straight cut CR sequential 'box, so my newly polished gearbox will be up for sale soon, once it's rebuilt and tested. I will be looking at £1000 or offers.

I also have my Clutch, Cover, Flywheel and release bearing up for grabs if anyone needs them? they've done a total of 150 miles from new. £150??

Nigel - will Mr. Smith throw in a set of Aircraft-Carrier specification ear muffs?

You will most definitely need then with your S/C sequential gearbox.... did you see/listen to the Britcar/GPRM footage at Brands GP... ?

I recommend you learn sign language between welding sessions. You will definitely need it..

... or you could always fit an uprated auto box and get the same result....

Spec K

... or you could always fit an uprated auto box and get the same result....

Spec K

... thinking...

.. you could buy my auto box, give me your manual stuff and £2grand in cash.

Can't say fairer than that, guv.... mine's race-proved, yours is theory.. B)

Spec K

... thinking...

.. you could buy my auto box, give me your manual stuff and £2grand in cash.

Can't say fairer than that, guv.... mine's race-proved, yours is theory.. B)

Spec K

Wait... You wanna go Manual Keith? 

So when it is done, Nige, what are you going to do with it?

My initial thoughts are that ill probably give it to Rob, Lauren.

So when it is done, Nige, what are you going to do with it? 

One thing for sure is, he will become my new best friend, and in the process make me incredibly jealous and envious! 

One thing for sure is, he will become my new best friend, and in the process make me incredibly jealous and envious! 

Oh no no no Dave, you should not be jealous of my car, yours is gorgeous. mine is a wreck in comparison!!

Hey guys, I'm at the pub right now and am uploading the pics below on my iPhone. Not sure if it's gonna work??

Anyway, I've been busy tonight getting some more seam welding done, until the temp got too cold and my mask fogged up, and my Puppy crying to get my attention got to a point where I felt like an irresponsible parent!!

I should get the seam welding pretty much finished tomorrow, so then we can move on to the plug access tubes, sealer, primer and a lovely coat of glossy white paint.

post-575-0-54390300-1422651316_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-96286400-1422651349_thumb.jpg

Wait... You wanna go Manual Keith? 

No.

But promoting the auto 86 in competition, without any direct comparison, is like banging your head against a brick wall... it's nice when you stop..

Spec K