smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

She's finally done! 

Will at JP Exhausts in Macclesfield just gave me a call to say it's finished and that he's just emailed me some pics. Ready to collect her tomorrow!

I can't thank Will and JP Exhausts enough. Every step of the way they have listened to the spec I wanted, kept me fully up to date and gone far beyond what I ever expected if I'm honest. Will has even gone to the trouble of rebuilding part of the catback exhaust where I'd flattened the pipe into the backbox from the car being so low - he's raised the pipe up as much as possible and even stuck a 5mm plate on the bottom to stop it crushing the pipe in future and making sure it stays a 3" bore

No manifold that I know of for the GT86 has a larger bore than 1.75" on the primaries - I asked Will if a 2" was possible and he's somehow done it! It looks amazing, such a shame you can't really see it unless you're under the car :( this large bore will allow us to get as much as possible from the supercharger

The main concern was noise - the catback itself with the old 1.5" bore manifold and 2.5" overpipe and front pipe was LOUD. Will has managed to squeeze in 2 huge silencers to the front pipe which will considerably help reduce the noise. Not the prettiest front pipe in the world with the 2 big boxes stuck in there, but it had to be done if I wanted any chance of getting on track

So, a few pictures...

Manifold - 2" bore in a 4-1 design finishing in a 3" collector

2015-11-12%2019.35.36_zpsrzochcvj.jpg

2015-11-12%2019.35.20_zps741iyzdm.jpg

It's not quite as unequal as the old Borla manifold was, simply due to the fact that the larger bore means you can't make the shorter side the same as the Borla because of the angles...it's still unequal so will have the Scooby rumble, but just maybe not as much as before

Fitted to the car, it looks amazing!

2015-11-12%2020.10.13_zpsbezfxk5y.jpg

Overpipe - there are only a couple of 3" overpipes on the market for the GT86. This connect the manifold to the front pipe but has to go over the front subframe and 3" is a REAL squeeze. But Will has worked his magic and done it without any issues

2015-11-12%2019.36.09_zpsif5orf74.jpg

Front pipe - 3" bore with 2 massive silencers to give me a chance of passing the noise test on track

2015-11-12%2019.36.47_zpsk1ptwwoz.jpg

Not much room with those boxes in place when it's on the car...

2015-11-12%2020.08.28_zpscmx0rncq.jpg

And finally, the remade catback pipe that I didn't even ask for Will to do anything to! He's rebuilt about a 3rd of this to raise it up slightly, completely free of charge and the 5mm thick plate will help to keep it 3" if I do bash it again

2015-11-12%2019.37.48_zpsdsfjymu7.jpg

2015-11-12%2019.37.35_zpsbu7huwab.jpg

2015-11-12%2020.07.31_zpst9qez6ku.jpg

I haven't even seen this work in person yet but I'm already so impressed! Really can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and see what a difference it makes to the sound. I think I still may need some sort of bungs on the tailpipes to make sure I'm track legal, but that's easy enough as the tips of the exhaust are held on with clamps, so I can just clamp the bung onto the actual pipe from the back boxes

I'll get some videos over the weekend and then it's into Abbey on Tuesday 17th ready for mapping!

Yesterday I got the train up to Macclesfield to pick the car up from RRG. Richard wasn't there but put me in the capable hands on Mike the sales manager who was very keen to find out more about the car. The first start up was louder than I expected, but then it was a cold start and I've been used to driving a diesel around for the past 2 weeks...

A quick fill up before the 190mile drive home in horrible weather conditions

20151114_151458_zps2djgu2by.jpg

Luckily there was zero traffic and I was home within 3 hours. The exhaust does drone a little on the motorway, I don't think there's really much we can do about it...whilst the exhaust sits at around 95dB holding it at 4500rpm, under load it's WAY louder and no chance of passing the flyby noise limits on any track. So I think we're going to try out some aftermarket bung to stick into the pipes coming out of the rear boxes and see if that helps

Today was then spent fitting the final mod before the full map gets added by Abbey on Tuesday - the Perrin 3" cold air intake

20151113_145606_zpszzwdii31.jpg

Not the easiest intake to fit, as it means removing the front bumper

20151115_134341_zpscqza3zk4.jpg

Remove the old airbox

20151115_135123_zps933txqhg.jpg

And the HKS air duct comes off too

20151115_135127_zpsljv4mwh1.jpg

Leaving a big hole in the engine bay, but it just means you can see a bit more of the beautiful manifold 

20151115_135234_zpsdsoclnfp.jpg

20151115_135242_zpsm6ddjdx3.jpg

Fitting the Perrin CAI also means removing some additional bolts that hold the radiator fan and bonnet catch bracket, to then slide the pipe underneath, keeping the filter away from the hot engine bay as much as possible

20151115_143237_zps76jrcvix.jpg

No real noticeable gains yet obviously but I'm sure it will help once it's on the dyno later in the week

23 minutes ago, Gringosteve said:

How did mapping go mate?

Not great. Issues with the MAP sensor not liking the Sprintex/ECUTEK setup which is the same for the boys in the States so ECUTEK are looking into that for Mark, and the IAT's are very, very high even on a 15 second dyno run

I've got the car back for a show tomorrow at Brands Hatch so I spent the day giving her a well needed clean

20151121_153259_zpsbzqatkld.jpg

Mark has worked some great magic so far and I've got a decent map with 7000krpm to play with. The drive home was just insane. Pulls like an absolute train and triple digit speeds come far quicker than I expected

But then back to Mark Monday for some more tweaking before we release a final number, but it may not be what we were hoping for...yet

My 2 pence worth being the tuner of the car in question:

Yes we see high IAT's but with the excellent EcuTek software we are able to work on this small problem. Other cars sold by manufacturers also see what most people will say are high IAT's. 

I agree that an air to air charge cooler would be the best way but the set up off the twin screw SC like the Sprintex/Cosworth/Harrop and the Edelbrock doesn't allow this system to be fitted and all these SC systems but the gains from a positive charge SC is worth the side effects of water to air charge coolers.

Everyone thinks the lowest IAT is the best but the lower the IAT the harder it is to get the fuel to atomise the ideal temp is around 25/35 degree C for the best mixing of the fuel and compressed air. What we have with the FA20 motor with the DI (direct injection) is a very effective way of lowering the temperature of the charged air before compression we can when tuning these motors csn change the position and quantity of the injection of fuel to help cool the charged air. We can quantify this as running less fuel on the DI will cause a higher amount of noise from the detonation sensors.

The added gain of a SC is also the lack of restriction after the engine cycle where as a turbo has the sequence of the of exhaust gas driving by the turbo charged causing high pressure in the exhaust port which can cause issues with back filling the cylinders.

One thing I like about positive displacement SC is the instant response, Jordan's car is unbelievable at lower rpms truly inspiring.

One thing thou with regards water injection the latest BMW has it fitted as standard think it is the M2 I doubt BMW will use it fix an issue with careful and control usage it is an very good system to aid combustion and enhanced gains.

this was typed on my I phone so I may have to correct some spelling and grammar later on.

thanks

Thanks for your input Mark. I had good drive to Brands hatch and back today, a mixture of all different sort of roads so it gave me a good chance to really see what she can do now that there's a decent map in place

The torque is endless in any gear. Cruising at motorway speeds I'm able to just dab the throttle to overtake with ease without coming out of 6th gear

Going from around 30mph in 2nd gear is just insane, car picks up instantly and 3rd and 4th gear are dealt with extremely quickly

I haven't got an IAT gauge yet to monitor inlet temps but it's on the cards, but with the extremely cold weather today the car just loved it

The event at Brands was really good, despite it being below freezing when I woke up this morning and when we arrived! :lol:

20151122_072709_zpsckixbruh.jpg

20151122_100739_zpsxm32beok.jpg

Car was in the show and shine section and was considered for best wheels, best paint, best interior and car of the show, but sadly there was stiff competition so no trophies for me today :(

Car's back with Mark tomorrow to work some more of his magic before we post up official numbers

Time for an update

So as with the other thread I put up explaining the demise of my FA20, we suffered a small end failure with the HKS Stroker kit on piston 4 which caused the rod to windmill round inside the crank case and just destroy everything

20160116_125517_zpsngw0igfb.jpg

20160116_125553_zpsmm47loeh.jpg

20160116_125934_zpsfsddxjt0.jpg

20160116_125952_zpsailnfcnc.jpg

20160116_125423_zpsfxxpisno.jpg

20160116_130758_zpsqazg5hbs.jpg

20160116_130638_zps4cxcxfiz.jpg

After all this, I quickly fell out of love with the Boxer engine and began to look at alternatives. It seemed like the right time to do some research on V8's which has always been a dream of mine to put into the 86.

After lusting after an LS engine swap for ages, I came to the conclusion that I just couldn't justify putting another £20,000 into the car when I can use a 1UZ engine from Lexus which is a strong, reliable block that can give really good numbers with some forced induction.

So I started to work out how much I could sell all my engine parts for and it worked out almost exactly what I needed to complete a supercharged 1UZ swap :D I'll be using the services of Nev at Driftmoto right next to Brands Hatch who has a wealth of knowledge putting these engines into various cars. Here's 1 that he's built for his drift Corolla, currently running around 800bhp on ITB's

109.jpg

We'll be developing a kit with Rotrex so that will keep costs down while we essentially do the R&D for a "bolt on" supercharger kit for the 1UZ engine. This should boost it to around 400bhp+ which is plenty for the little 86 ;) 

I've been struggling to move some of the more expensive parts such as the Sprintex 335 supercharger and HKS Stroker kit, but things look to be just about falling into place :) finger's crossed!

On the subject of HKS, @Mark@Abbey M/S has been absolutely superb in talking with Maz and HKS to get a resolution that suits me. We have agreed to a replacement stroker kit which will be sold brand new to someone along with the cams. HKS were also discussing giving me a replacement crank case but this would obviously be useless to me now so they have very kindly agreed to compensate me for part of the cost of the crank case, to go towards my new project. I really can't thank Mark, Maz and HKS enough for helping me get the perfect resolution to this difficult situation!

The next few months will be spent getting everything sorted for the 1UZ swap. First thing is to send the block off to the blasters to get soda-blasted down and painted to make it look nice and neat. Then Nev and I will be spending most weekends getting it all put together and running. Updates might be a bit slow during the install process simply due to the fact it's a completely custom project, but it'll be so worth it! :)

23 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Great news. It was painful looking at those pics, made me very sad. But on the other side of it, things are looking up, hope you get a buyer soon for your parts. 

Thanks Lauren, things are certainly looking promising :)

Glad your suppliers are doing the decent thing too. Always good to see.

I can't wait to see the GTV86. What you are doing there is basically a latter day AC Cobra. Historically, when has sticking a big V8 in a relatively lightweight sportscar ever been a bad thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Glad your suppliers are doing the decent thing too. Always good to see.

I can't wait to see the GTV86. What you are doing there is basically a latter day AC Cobra. Historically, when has sticking a big V8 in a relatively lightweight sportscar ever been a bad thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I love the name! GTV86! Gonna have to use that

It's going to be interesting that's for sure! I'll definitely have to get my car weighed once it's all in

1 hour ago, Keethos said:

Does the Japenese V8 sound anything like the American V8s at all?

American V8's tend to have a crossplane crank, whilst Japanese and European V8's tend to have a flat plane crank. So no, is the short answer. But a flat plane crank is far preferable. 

Is it really? Well, flat plane revs higher, but yes swings and roundabouts really. I just much prefer the sound of flat plane V8's. But really we're talking Ferrari and the like. 

30 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Is it really? Well, flat plane revs higher, but yes swings and roundabouts really. I just much prefer the sound of flat plane V8's. But really we're talking Ferrari and the like. 

Certainly is :)

I prefer the lumpy noise of a cross plane to the smooth flat plane

An interesting step forward - keep us informed please.

Pleased to hear that HKS are accepting responsibility for the engine pop - they could have blamed the engine builder.

Lauren - flat planes have a habit of hitting high mountains.

Spec K

1 hour ago, Special K said:

An interesting step forward - keep us informed please.

Pleased to hear that HKS are accepting responsibility for the engine pop - they could have blamed the engine builder.

Lauren - flat planes have a habit of hitting high mountains.

Spec K

Oh absolutely Keith, I intend to document every part of the install

I can't thank Mark, Mas and HKS enough for giving me a solution that fits in with my new plans