smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

But will all that power, will it make the overall gearing too short? Also with a diesel box, the ratios won't be close together so changing the final drive won't change that as such. I expect you've done all the calculations though. 

2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

But will all that power, will it make the overall gearing too short? Also with a diesel box, the ratios won't be close together so changing the final drive won't change that as such. I expect you've done all the calculations though. 

We've looked at the numbers but there is still a bit of trial and error involved

1 hour ago, smudge said:

You forget that apart from the engine build that Abbey did, I have built every part of this car myself ;)

There will be some major updates during the week! 

looking forwards to seeing the updates :)

Today was the big day! Been waiting for this for so long, I can't explain how excited I am!

Loaded and ready to be taken to her new home for the next few weeks

20160523_115809_zpsui8fv2lj.jpg

20160523_115910_zpsv17zcm6h.jpg

This is what we had to start with...an empty, lonely engine bay

20160523_134136_zps1afdfsmi.jpg

But within an hour, we had a mock engine block and BMW gearbox made up ready for test fitting in the car

20160523_140136_zpskgsvppoz.jpg

20160523_142236_zpsc4cfspdm.jpg

We were very happy at the initial fitment, having compared the OEM box to the BMW box and worrying how much taller the BMW gearbox is that it wouldn't fit in the narrow gearbox tunnel. But with a bit of jiggery-pokery, we got it in a position where we were happy that everything would sit and mount very nicely.

The ONLY modification we have made to get this to fit as we wanted was to take the sound deadening and the 2 spot welded sections either side of the tunnel to make it slightly wider at the top

20160523_152248_zpsuk11xvzt.jpg

20160523_153029_zpsomqvepoo.jpg

Once these were removed, it's almost like it was made to fit

20160523_153814_zpsehuvruvv.jpg

Next up was designing some engine mounts using the existing holes in the subframe obviously. These will be fabricated over the next day or so along with the gearbox mount so the initial position is sorted much quicker than we first thought.

We've decided to get rid of the A/C to make room for the Rotrex supercharger. I never ever use it and as well as freeing up some room, it will allow us to use the A/C radiator for something else

All in all, a really successful and exciting day. We've got the engine, gearbox and sump all to fit very nicely and have pretty much planned the position, routing of piping, wiring etc for everything else. Mounts will be the next big thing to secure everything into place and then it's onto plumbing and wiring

Stay tuned!

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

Can't believe you lost the AC though. :o 

I don't own cars without AC, totally essential, especially in a car with a dark colour. 

The number of times I've used it in the 86 can be counted on 1 hand. Windows down is a much preferred option for me

56 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Talking of weight, any ideas how much it will add in comparison to what went before? Was trying to work out if the block was cast or alloy. 

Think when I asked him it was literally identical weight surprisingly.

The proof will be when the finished car gets on the scales.... I like my AC too, especially on track days.

Will be epic when its all finished though. Can always get one of these for hot days 

breezie-bladeless-handheld-misting-fan-x

I'm not sure how carrying a blonde girl around all the time will keep him cool, plus, we want to save weight here, surely a human weighs more than an air con pump.

Please think before typing <_<

6 hours ago, Lauren said:

Talking of weight, any ideas how much it will add in comparison to what went before? Was trying to work out if the block was cast or alloy. 

The difference is literally a few kg's from my research. The FA20 is fairly heavy for a 4 cylinder as it has the 2 heads of course. We'll get it all weighed once everything is in, I don't see it being anything more than 1250kg total which is basically what the stock car is

Engine and gearbox mounts basically finished today. The BMW box sits about 40mm short compared to the OEM box, so we've made the remote shifter a bit longer to accommodate for this. But apart from that, we're very surprised and pleased with how everything fits :)