smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

8 hours ago, Keethos said:

I like a bit of American gruff, would love an American V8 at some point in my life.....but don't mind the screaming V8s either to be fair.

I think mine will sound a bit more to your liking with the exhaust we're planning to use ;)

The car's now back with me for a little bit to receive some much needed TLC

She was picked up from Abbey's this morning and transported back home to spend a few weeks on my driveway. Just want to say a big thank you again to @Mark@Abbey M/S and the team for everything they've done so far. It's been a tough few months but Mark and Scott kept me up to date every step of the way and have really helped me out in so many ways :) 

received_10154101209919009_zpsstvitpdq.j

20160315_105526_zpss7hxntbs.jpg

20160315_105541_zpsrixkbavm.jpg

It's great to see her again and even better to have her home, but she is looking a bit rough - no engine, no gearbox, rusty brake discs, filthy dirty etc :(

20160315_112206_zpsoc8p2dpy.jpg

20160315_161802_zpsrsj5ecny.jpg

Can see through the car from the interior!

20160315_161815_zpsumdov20g.jpg

And there seems to be some bits missing under the bonnet...

20160315_161837_zpsb578dfz6.jpg

I couldn't help but have a bit of tinkering time with her after so long, so decided to start fitting my aftermarket steering wheel boss and quick release, but didn't get very far when I realised I've got the wrong hub :( just 1 character difference in the part number, should hopefully have the correct one soon thanks to @Tarmac

20160315_162636_zpsspvdyp9z.jpg

Various boxes of bits also came with the car, still a a few more bits to collect later in the week!

20160315_171009_zps29ewnda3.jpg

Last thing to do today was to put her up on axle stands and remove the wheels, ready for a deep cleaning session at the weekend (if I get time!)

20160315_180221_zpsvdn6xdyr.jpg

V8 has been stripped, blasted and painted ready to go. Gearbox is being custom made using a BMW casing as the 1UZ only ever came with an automatic transmission in the Soarer. Hopefully she won't be sitting on the driveway for too long, we're planning to have the V8 conversion completed by the end of April/beginning of May :D 

11 hours ago, SL03JOE said: Good to see you've got it back! Front brakes look massive without wheels fitted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because they are :lol:

That's what's what I need haha

I've been ITCHING to play with the car since she's been home, but haven't really had the time and the parts I do have to fit all came with an issue of some sort...

Finally got round to fitting my rails to my Sparco Circuit II bucket seat

20160401_173406_zpsggxp6pyb.jpg

I was ready to take the drivers seat out and put this in but remembered that Nev who is doing my V8 conversion is a rather large chap....he might get stuck :lol: so I think I'll hold off on that

So I decided to fit my NRG steering wheel, quick release and hub, but realised that I'd ordered the wrong bloody hub! :angry: it was too short to fit over the plug for the airbag on the clock spring, but @Tarmac sorted me out by sending me the correct part! Such a gem :) 

I sent the wheel off to be retrimmed in suede with purple stitching and I'm really please with the result 

20160331_204442_zpsnpdh47yg.jpg

20160331_204502_zpstmnovhos.jpg

And then installed it today, love how it matches the colour of the interior

20160401_162836_zpse345ot72.jpg

It sticks out a fair bit further than the OEM wheel, but I like having it close to me when driving, especially on track. The steering rake is fully out towards me with this picture taken, so can adjust it to a nice distance

20160401_162909_zpsngddvvdq.jpg

And then removed the wheel using the quick release so no one can nick it whilst the car is on my driveway :)

20160401_162943_zps10elzioo.jpg

Engine and supercharger are finally finished. Rotrex took their sweet time making the charger which has delayed the whole project by nearly a month :( will be getting some pictures of all that next weekend

2 minutes ago, SL03JOE said:

Looking good dude! Guessing you've lost cruise control by removing the wheel?

Yeah but I don't need it anyway, only used it to change the maps on the ECUTEK. New ECU won't be adjusted by the CC stalk, if at all!

I do however, have a carbon adapter plate if someone has an aftermarket wheel and wants to use the CC stalk. If anyone wants it, drop me a PM as I don't need it anymore

2 minutes ago, SL03JOE said: Looking good dude! Guessing you've lost cruise control by removing the wheel?

Yeah but I don't need it anyway, only used it to change the maps on the ECUTEK. New ECU won't be adjusted by the CC stalk, if at all!

I do however, have a carbon adapter plate if someone has an aftermarket wheel and wants to use the CC stalk. If anyone wants it, drop me a PM as I don't need it anymore

See I'm gonna loose my cruise control to once I fit the LS lump, so may just bite bullet now and fit new wheel haha

5 minutes ago, SL03JOE said: See I'm gonna loose my cruise control to once I fit the LS lump, so may just bite bullet now and fit new wheel haha

Might as well dude. I never used the CC anyway!

Yeah, see I need to because of my damaged knee, but usually a short break can stop the pain

Tbh wheel is far down on my list

Yesterday involves a 470mile round trip to see the guys in action at TSS and also collect one of my favourite mods for the car so far 

We originally ordered this towards the end of last year, only to be told that the mould wasn't right and it could take up 6 months for it to be rectified! So I got my money back and waited for updates. Gladly, Chris @Tarmac messaged me about 6 weeks ago, money was paid again and the waiting game began...I had to collect it from Chris as we didn't want to send it through the UK parcel network with it being such a large and fragile item - thankfully it's in PERFECT condition

AMS VIS Racing carbon bootlid :wub:

20160402_204913_zpstcnnfdwx.jpg

20160402_204931_zpswhibaimz.jpg

Time for a test fit. Old boot off

20160403_114208_zps5f6bnmsl.jpg

New boot on

20160403_123828_zpsijihp0hb.jpg

20160403_123930_zpsium3p93w.jpg

20160403_123916_zpsis8exnkg.jpg

Absolutely LOVE it! Couple of shots from the same angles to compare before and after

20160403_132148_zpss9mqsag5.jpg

20160403_123852_zpso51wuggv.jpg

20160403_132247_zps8tymz6ag.jpg

20160403_123901_zpsqq1py8oe.jpg

Fitment is basically perfect, just a shame they forgot to cut the whole on the underside of the boot where the wiring grommet goes so I've got to find someone that can cut carbon nicely for me now, as I don't dare touch this with anything sharp!

Seat looks nice, but it may well prove a total PITA for road use as the helmet pads will obscure your view side to side at junctions etc. 

You will also need to use harnesses all the time as the stock seat belts won't work with the deepness of the seat. Using harnesses on the road everytime you drive it is a right pain really. 

25 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Seat looks nice, but it may well prove a total PITA for road use as the helmet pads will obscure your view side to side at junctions etc. 

You will also need to use harnesses all the time as the stock seat belts won't work with the deepness of the seat. Using harnesses on the road everytime you drive it is a right pain really. 

They may or may not get in the way, but nothing that can't be overcome :) 

I already have harnesses, going to mount them to the rear seats as some people have for the time being until I decide on what cage I want. Remember I don't use this car everyday Lauren, it's a weekend/track car 

Fair enough. I was just reliving in my head, the joy of bucket seats and harnesses on the road and those times when I drove it five minutes to the shops and went through the whole harness thing. It's not too bad on longer trips, but mine didn't have the helmet pads so visibility wasn't an issue, well apart from having to loosen the harnesses off to look around when pulling out of junctions. 

Would those harnesses be Takata? ;)