smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

16 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Fair enough. I was just reliving in my head, the joy of bucket seats and harnesses on the road and those times when I drove it five minutes to the shops and went through the whole harness thing. It's not too bad on longer trips, but mine didn't have the helmet pads so visibility wasn't an issue, well apart from having to loosen the harnesses off to look around when pulling out of junctions. 

Would those harnesses be Takata? ;)

I KNEW you'd asked that :lol: no unfortunately not as they don't do them in purple :( 

2 minutes ago, KevinA said:

Mmm

CPA4005PR_2.jpg

Never heard of that brand Kev. More important than getting them purple is getting a decent brand!

Gone for some Luke harnesses, used in plenty of race cars and never heard of any issues

14 minutes ago, smudge said:

Apart from Takata lol

But they have to be green Takata's. You can get them in black. Was going to ask why you haven't got a Bride seat. :P

hahahaha you guys crack me up!

@smudge first off great project going on here! Can't wait to see the final product :)

Quick question for you (a couple actually) if you don't mind: 
1) In terms of mechanics, what original parts did you keep and will be fitting to the new engine? Up till now the only things i see worth keeping are: alternator, AC compressor and Engine harness plug. But i can see that you also have the starter motor and some other bits?
2) What gearbox will you be using for this build? That is the only missing piece to my puzzle and forking out 6K for a used high milage V160/V161 6-speed supra getrag gearbox is not an option for me. I heard some people talk about putting a 6 speed BMW Getrag box but i still can't find the right one. 

Looking forward to seeing this beast come to life! 

I'm sure you've come across this already but just in case, there is a whole video series on youtube showing a 1uz-fe engine swap into a GT86. It's a whole series and quite detailed. part 1 is here :)

Hey @iddrew

I can't really answer many questions yet - the car hasn't had any work, we're still putting the engine, charger and gearbox together before the car gets trailered down to the garage for fitting. 

I know we've decided to use a BMW 530d 6 speed box. It's worked on many cars with the 1UZ and the ratios all seem to work out very nicely

This looks awesome! Whenever I hear v8 swap I just hear ' Heavy Nose' unless it's small like the Jun/synergy 2.4L v8 that revs to 10k :3
I look forward to hearing/ seeing the outcome from the person living with it though, it'd be interesting to have a side by side comparison in life and text rather than a youtube video of some all american video :)

2 minutes ago, ALB453 said:

This looks awesome! Whenever I hear v8 swap I just hear ' Heavy Nose' unless it's small like the Jun/synergy 2.4L v8 that revs to 10k :3
I look forward to hearing/ seeing the outcome from the person living with it though, it'd be interesting to have a side by side comparison in life and text rather than a youtube video of some all american video :)

The 1UZ is all aluminium so actually weighs around the same as the FA20...literally a few kg in it

With the weight of the Sprintex supercharger being considerably more than the Rotrex, I reckon it'll be almost the same! I'll definitely have to get a weight taken once it's all done

Yeah I'd love to get a proper side by side comparison with a stock GT86 and even a tuned one. I think the noise will be my favourite part though

2 minutes ago, smudge said:

The 1UZ is all aluminium so actually weighs around the same as the FA20...literally a few kg in it

With the weight of the Sprintex supercharger being considerably more than the Rotrex, I reckon it'll be almost the same! I'll definitely have to get a weight taken once it's all done

Yeah I'd love to get a proper side by side comparison with a stock GT86 and even a tuned one. I think the noise will be my favourite part though

We'll have to do a side by side exhaust video :P I managed to shame my cousins 650bhp decatted 996 turbo at the weekend, he's now on the hunt for a better exhaust system :)

2 minutes ago, Ade said:

They are light but i would expect the tranny will add a bit more too. Can't really complain when you've got 450hp though.

that is true :P

4 minutes ago, Ade said:

They are light but i would expect the tranny will add a bit more too. Can't really complain when you've got 450hp though.

Have you felt the weight of the 86 box?! It's a right lump!

I should've got weights of the engine and box to compare...oh well