Mike@TD.co.uk

GT86/BRZ/FR-S Manifold/Headers From Tuning Developments

10 minutes ago, Foulsmell said:   I can confirm this worked for mine to get it through the mot.  

It may of passed the emissions test but it could still be a technical fail because two cats are not present.

we only need 1 cat for UK MOT purposes, it's other markets that are stricter on the emissions (particularly cold start emissions) which is why there are 2 of them and that annoying cold start up

Errr wrong. 759260aa9d5a1e109d4fe486f2237f97.jpg

I have a secondary decat pipe which is clear that it doesn't have a cat and passed my MOT and it wasn't one of those fiddled jobbies that some people do

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

As do I. But as you can see it is a fail. It's all down to the testers knowledge wether there should be 2 cats or one. Just because yours passed doesn't make it right. I know testers that will pass a full decat.

They're not allowed to remove undertrays and you can't see the first cat without removing the undertrays. So they can't fail for the lack of the first cat because they can't prove you don't have one. Second cat is visible from under the car so a bit easier to spot if it's been removed. If you have a roughly cat-shaped resonator most testers would just pass it though (assuming it meets emissions).

It's also quite open to interpretation (as much of the mot regs are) - it says a cat must be present if one was fitted but it doesn't say anything about multiple cats. As I read that as long as there is a cat, which they can tell visually and/or through the emissions results, it would be ok.

The last I heard the 86/BRZ never came with a diesel engine so how on earth is that extract of the MOT requirements even relevant :rolleyes::rolleyes:

How flippant. It came in because diesel owners were removing DPFs. So it now applies to both petrol and diesel.

All I'm saying is it's a technical fail but it hasn't stopped removing the 2nd cat. Just do what you like

8 hours ago, Ade said:

How much did the above car make in stock form with a tune?

Really nice torque curve there.

I dont the figures at the moment but Mike has told me that the base numbers were lower than average making the gains all the more impressive and for a na the car pulls amazingly well.

20 hours ago, Ade said:

How much did the above car make in stock form with a tune?

Really nice torque curve there.

We didn't tune this one prior to fitting the manifold Ade, so the 'dip' was well and truly there and peak power was 185bhp beforehand.

We're gaining just about 35lb.ft at the largest point through the dip area now.

Cheers :) 

Mike

3 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

We didn't tune this one prior to fitting the manifold Ade, so the 'dip' was well and truly there and peak power was 185bhp beforehand.

We're gaining just about 35lb.ft at the largest point through the dip area now.

Cheers :) 

Mike

:o now I'm really looking forward to getting mine done next weekend! 

Probably a little, the runner lengths of these really help and this design stateside has always produced good results. Depends on whether you mind the pipework up into the bay IMO and whether the cost of swapping and remapping is worth it to you.

17 hours ago, KevinA said:

Mike do you think there would be a gain over my Tomei EL catless manifold ?

Kev I can overlay against your car when I get chance and see if it looks like a viable option or not for you bud.

Thanks

Mike

They do recommend removing the resonator box, however I'm having my up section that goes near the intake pipe heat wrapped as well

Would you recommend the above with your UEL manifold as well Mike?

I've not heard any negative reports from anyone running a TD mani once mapped with the resonator removed.

I recall people mentioning about a slight dip in power removing it in stock form.

7 hours ago, STEVO9000 said:

I've not heard any negative reports from anyone running a TD mani once mapped with the resonator removed.

I recall people mentioning about a slight dip in power removing it in stock form.

It's there for part throttle and on/off applications. It does help otherwise the OEM wouldn't have used it. I did a load of testing years back, put it back on.

21 hours ago, Varelco said:

Does this loop directly under the intake? Are IATs not increased?

IAT are fine with the 'downpipe' section heat wrapped :) 

21 hours ago, STEVO9000 said:

They do recommend removing the resonator box, however I'm having my up section that goes near the intake pipe heat wrapped as well :)

Either or Steve the car on the above graph still had the resonator box installed bud. :) 

2 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

IAT are fine with the 'downpipe' section heat wrapped :) 

Either or Steve the car on the above graph still had the resonator box installed bud. :) 

Sweet, we'll leave mine in then ;)

Can't wait for this weekend :D