Keethos

Keethos' GT86 Journey Back To Health + Mods

As some of you may have known, shortly after purchasing my car, I wanted a new set of alloys, namely the Rota Grids but 3 years past and still no Rotas, instead, not too long ago I brought a set of JR3 Racing wheels for track use.  While I was planning on purchasing the Rota wheels, I was also planning on designing a sticker for the spokes similar to what Volk Racing do with their wheels.  Now since the JR3 wheels are of a very similar design, during a free afternoon at work, I thought I'd go out and do a bit of scanning....namely....my new wheels.

As a lil practice and potential case study for the company, I scanned one of the wheels using our PolyWorks scanning software and produced a meshed model which I could then create curves to suit the design of the sticker/wheel that I need.  Once I had the shape of the sticker I wanted, I then had to figure a way to flatten the part which I eventually figured out with the help of my colleagues (long story short, cross-sections every 1mm, create points at either end, export points and load the points back in but on a single plane, then just join dot to dot with a polyline).  Now with the outline of the sticker flat, I could export that out 1:1 scale, into a drawing package to then add the club logo to and before sending it off to be cut out of vinyl.

Sadly this was all done a couple of months back but due to the weather and busy weekends, I've not had the chance to clean the car to add these stickers, but thanks to William Locock who helped me clean my car (which was a right mission as the front wheels were caked in brake dust and a bitch to clean.....especially since I never sealed them and it's been soooo long since they were last cleaned) but it finally got cleaned yesterday, so this morning, I decided to take the wheels off to apply the stickers as well as swapping the wheels around as the rears are a bit low on tread.

The only gripe I have was when I was picking the yellow from some samples that were sent to me, due to the pearlescent paint, there was no exact match and stupidly, I matched the colour by looking at the top half of the car (which is typically lighter due to the light) rather than the bottom half of the car which is typically darker so the stickers look like they don't match very well.....but ah well....still looks good to me.

Good work, surfacing in CAD is definitely one of the dark arts :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cheers dude, yeah, luckily this was a very simple and straight forward section, surfacing the whole wheel would take me a lil while. You do much surfacing yourself?

Mostly solid modelling, but do a little bit of surfacing when required.

It's been 10years since I've had direct experience of laser scanning, I bet the technology has come on loads since then.

Would be interested to hear more about what your kit can do at Japfest :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's been a while but I finally pulled my finger out and continued with my mods....nothing major, a PasswordJDM carbon fibre pulley cover, smoked valenti side repeaters and a new HKS air filter to replace my 3 year old one which as you can see.....is a lil.....used.

13652971_10154569581887018_4880944045380

13661795_10154569581957018_5892053374724

13662285_10154569582107018_1750765707858

13667932_10154569582282018_1910346522193

All pretty easy to fit bar the side repeaters which I ran into the same issue as we had when we tried to fit the ones to Faith's car not too long ago.  The issue being that the top clip that has a bent piece of metal that is designed to squeeze into a hole and then open up slightly to hold the light in place, sticks out too much making it near impossible to push the light in securely enough, instead I had to get a pair of pliers to clamp the metal clip back a bit to allow it to fit securely.

Also, for anyone who might be interested in the Password JDM carbon fibre pulley cover, they are dry carbon parts with a quick coat of a fade resistant resin, it's not a wet carbon with a nice thick gel coat so don't be surprised if you see bits of the resin missing, PasswordJDM have said themselves that this is how it is.

13640827_10154570800242018_7176664698982

There are more things on the way but I'll save those for my next post.

So the time finally came, it's been a long time coming but I've finally got the wheels that I've been meaning to get for a while now (thanks Adam). These are the Gram Lights (Rays) 57Getters in 18x9.5Jet40 wrapped in 235/40R18 Pirelli P Zero Nero I think. Sadly they were in a bit of a rough state so had to have them refurbished but they came out nice and shiny. As you can see, they sit rather nicely and only just peeking out on the sides. What I will say though is that the tyres are a bit too stretched for my liking, probably why they were kerbed so much before so might need to go 245 next time. So far they feel good (though not done that many miles in them yet) but they'll be my daily's while my Japan Racing JR3's will be used for track only.

Not only that, some of you know that my car was at RRG last week for some work, and some of you already know what that was. As you may know, I was having issues with my previous set of coilovers (HSDs) with a knocking sound from the front right and after Lauren, Kevin and Jeff test drove my car, they could tell something wasn't right. So after a couple of rides in a couple of different setups, I went the safe route (rather than trying something completely different to everyone else....however awesome the Yellow Racing coilovers look) and brought the Tein Mono Sport coilovers with 8kg front springs and 9kg rear springs. The HSDs were 9kg/7kg and I sat in Mike's Mono Sports but with 6kg/7kg springs I think and I was hoping for something in-between the two which I think the 8kg/9kg achieves somehow. To add to this, the Tein's adjusters are all on top, it makes it a million times easier to adjust and if/when I get the EDFC remote control unit, it'll be even easier to adjust from within the car either manually or automatically. When full soft, they ride over the small road imperfections perfectly so 85% of the time they are great, however the off 15% of the time, it sometimes feels like the suspension can't react quick enough when going over big bumps and dips which causes the car to bounce a lil more than before. When on full stiff, they're great again over big bumps and dips just like the HSD's but then like the HSD's, they cause the car to jiggle around a lot more over small road imperfections, so at the moment I'm on full soft on daily drives, but then full stiff (or there abouts) when on track and if I forget to adjust them on the way home, it's not going to break my back. I can definitely feel the 9kg at the rears working, when going around the corner, you can feel the rears are on edge more which makes it a lil more drift happy me thinks.....not a bad thing :P

You may also know that I've been having some issues with the front K Sport brakes where I was suffering from long brake pedal travel. We couldn't see why it would do this, there was plenty of fluid, no leaks, and the pads had been replaced recently....but low and behold it was actually the pads, even though they were part worn, there was plenty of meal on them, but after 3 months (though it did include 2 trackday, 1 sprint and a CAT Driver course, but still) it had worn down to barely nothing at all (though braking power was still good, it would stop, you just needed to put your foot down a lot further which made toe heeling very difficult). I think there was actually something wrong with the pads as they were chipping a bit initially, they probably just crumbled to this state considering how much they travelled initially. But now that I have some fresh new EBC Yellowstuff pads, the travel is back to being high up again and the brakes were performing wonderfully at Anglesey this weekend, so all is good once again!

So a big thanks to those who gave me a ride in their different setups, thanks to those who test drove my car and gave me their opinions on my HSDs and thanks to Rich, Gary and everyone at RRG for their work and short turnaround on my car last week. The HSD's really weren't bad at all, I think I could have easily kept them if they weren't knocking, but now with the added bonus of no knocks, top mounted adjusters and the option to go EDFC, I think it's definitely a good option to take. Hmmmm.....just need to see what's next on the list :P

14103042_10154635655412018_6429044526288

14047147_10154635655522018_2687106654997

14066339_10154635655537018_5972998622998

14115561_10154635655532018_1771142248156

14067814_10154635655637018_5356635369789

14137968_10154635655662018_2272239590941

14107844_10154635655367018_2622282307424

14054312_10154635655407018_1566069447439

14047321_10154635720567018_1502971279971

Nice man, glad you went with the monosports. I look forward to a ride as I was very close to get a set of these until Nigel decided to sell the last ever MI20 Ohlins which I couldn't resist. 

I'm running 18x9 et35 with 235/40 AD08Rs. Bit too much stretch for my liking too but they dont do the AD08R in 245/35, so it was between 235/40 and 255/35 which were quite a bit heavier, so I went with the 235/40.... they are 3% oversized so now your speedo will be accurate!

Might want to consider these to keep the rim edge nice as they pick up stone chips easy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rimblades-Alloy-Wheel-Edge-Ring-Rim-Protectors-Tyres-Tire-Guard-Rubber-Moulding-/281365443648

Mine have a few tiny little stone chips already, especially after Blyton when I kept going wide at port Froid trying to go faster :lol:

I did think about it but heard they don't work very well/stay on, think Faith had a go with some and it didn't work out I think....but I might give them a go just in case.

Well I suppose it's time that I officially introduced my newest weapon to tackle the Toyota Sprint Series with. As some of you may already know, I recently purchased a Gen 6 Toyota Celica ST202 which some of you will recognise. That's right, I'm the proud new owner of Pete's Celica Zombie Response Vehicle (a fellow TSS member) to do battle against Pete himself, Rich (Riceburner) and many more next year.

Even though I had a blast competing against Mike, new comer Alex and also new comer Tomáš this year and finishing 4th in class N1 Street, after my 2nd track accident at the hands of Croft and even with people telling me how well I've handled my crashes, I don't think I could mentally handle a 3rd. Even after gaining more confidence after the final round at Snetterton and even after the recent CAT Driver Training course @ Millbrook Proving Ground which was a awesome as always, I think I've gotten to the point where I want to really compete and I don't think I could with my 86 for the fear of another accident in it.

So I finally made the decision to get myself a dedicated sprint car specifically for the TSS since its extremely expensive to insure the 86 to compete in. Since Pete was selling his almost track ready Celica, it was the perfect opportunity to put my mind at ease with a car that I wouldn't have a problem binning which means I can hopefully push the car to its limits without too much worries. Not only that, but since the Celica is in class C Street, I feel I have a good chance to compete for 1st since there's no Lauren, Kevin or any other pro drivers in this class, there should be some very good battles next year.

I will still be tracking my 86 as it's easy and cheap to get insurance for, it'll be a shame not to push such an awesome car and it's a shame I couldn't stick with a RWD car but I wanted to keep the spend to a minimum.....though I might add a couple of bits to the Celica 😋

BRING ON NEXT YEAR!!!

FYI I know I'm probably not the best poster child for the TSS but it is a great event to take part in, it can be a safe place to learn about your Toyota without the worry about anything else, unlike track days, it's just you on track by yourself so no pressure from anyone else. If you're interested, please don't hesitate to ask.

14890378_10154849003997018_8502994017609

14918819_10154849004222018_6063402020746

14859881_10154849004657018_5528793067504

14876448_10154849004867018_2994007862056

I've got a TRD LSD to fit at some point and I want to look into getting some new seats for the car since while wearing my crash helmet, I currently hit the roof which means racing slightly slouched or with a crooked neck.  To help keep spend on this car down, I'm actually thinking of sticking the 86 seats into this which means I can get myself some nice fancy seats for the 86 (I said I'd keep the spend down on the Celica....never said anything about the 86 :P).  The only other thing I really want to look at in the mean time is a brakes, after driving her hard at Donington last Monday, the brakes really don't fill me with confidence so might need to see what I can do to up rate them.