Ridowh

New Supra to be unveiled on Monday

Dont be surprised with the price, Toyota was aiming at Cayman. Tick few options and you will get way north of 60k with Cayman and you still get 4 cylinder turbo (even though on paper GTS looks more compelling). This said I thought entry level Supra would be just under 50k (it probably will soon with discount/ incentive from Toyota dealerships).

It would be interesting to test Supra and Cayman back to back on road and track

But I like what I see/ read so far. Its the type of car I would like to have in couple years (well more like 4+) when I can get away with 2 seats only. And then I will have a good choice of 2nd hand Supras, Caymans, Alpine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ah c'mon it's almost 100% BMW, even the interior screams BMW. Toyota could have made something amazing and have made something pretty German, actually wait, they didn't, they took something out there and added a marmite body.

I'll stick to my 86 and let the rich imbeciles blow 50k 

I really like it. It's a lot of money though and I've quite enjoyed owning my GT86 outright for a couple of years now with no debt. Also the lack of rear seats mean nowhere for an Indy to go which is a bit of a shame. Will have to wait and see what it's like to drive I guess. 

36 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I really like it. It's a lot of money though and I've quite enjoyed owning my GT86 outright for a couple of years now with no debt. Also the lack of rear seats mean nowhere for an Indy to go which is a bit of a shame. Will have to wait and see what it's like to drive I guess. 

I think you can fold down the back between the boot & cabin remove the rear parcel shelf if you don't mind Indy going in the boot.

drcao9.jpg

I like bits of it but as a whole it doesn't seem cohesive at all.  Ride height looks silly and i really dont get the stuck on door side pod bits when its not rear/mid engine. The interior is very BMW which i dont think is a bad thing for a japanese car. Hopefully it survives long enough for a half decent face lift particularly that front end

I think how you feel about the look of a new car changes as you get used to it. No point passing any judgement till it's been seen in the flesh a number of times and most importantly of all, driven. 

I've been following this for a while and I've already got the deposit down, but, I think Toyota have missed the target market.

Some thoughts after the launch event:

The Mk4 was good enough to keep Akio racing whilst his fellows all showcased newer cars. He even admits that eventually he wanted a new car to for the appearance. Wanted, not needed. My take was the MK4 was holding it's own and with the 2JZ capability it could be made to match the other cars. Emissions aside.

Toyota don't have a halo car. People aren't putting Toyota posters up on the wall anymore. The 86 isn't a halo model, it's a drivers car and on paper it's an overpriced, tin top mx5. You need to drive it to connect with it, and that's not something that translates on a poster. It's no Diablo.

The power and performance are the reason why we're not getting an uprated GT86. Almost any small turbo on the 86 increases the power to the point where its power-2-weight ratio pretty much matches the new Supra. Toyota have expressed a desire to get the 3 brother lineup back, which means they need 3 market segments. A turbo 86 will eat into the Supra's target audience.

Toyota are trading on the Supra name because this is a BMW. Not a bad thing, but not a Toyota, and not a Supra.

It's over-priced. £53K puts it more expensive than the BMW M240i (which is the same drivetrain), more expensive than the Z4 (the same car), and against Alfas, Porsches, BMWs, Audis, MB. All good cars but the market is moving. 4 years ago when the concept was launched is a very different place to where we are now. Diesels are almost banned and electric is the chosen solution moving forward. The car I'm waiting for information on is the Porsche Tycan.

I'm a Toyota fanboy and they haven't 'lit' me up on this Supra.

As an aside, are car launches usually so cringe-worthy? This is the first one I've been able to watch live and the jokes were terrible, no audience rapport, nothing.

So this Supra is made by a contract manufacturer, Magna Steyr, in Austria.  Was the contract with BMW or Toyota?  I guess BMW from other info I have seen on line?  If the drivetrain is all BMW, built by BMW, but designed by Toyota, I wonder how much it will drive like a Japanese car?

I'm not convinced by the looks, it's a bit loud for me.

However, if you have ever driven a BMW with a 6-pot engine you will know that it's one of the most silky smooth and superb power units out there.  Lovely sound, too.  Not light, though.

17 hours ago, GT86-Ian said:

I think you can fold down the back between the boot & cabin remove the rear parcel shelf if you don't mind Indy going in the boot.

It's always open so you can access it from the inside, there is no partition. Shmee's video showed that.

20 hours ago, Septic said:

A90 edition.....It had more extreme bodywork and looked even better.

I don't think the A90 Edition has any different bodywork. It's just the paint colour and the wheel colour is only available on that model. Well worth the £2+ increase :lol:

Edit - I forgot the GT86 inspired interior:

Building on Toyota GR Supra 3.0l Pro grade specification with its unique matt paint finish, imposing 19” matt alloy wheels and stunning red leather cabin, the exclusive A90 Edition is as thrilling to look at as it is to drive. 

That is heavier than it should be when its target is the Cayman which comes in at 1310kg to 1380kg depending on options and model i.e. gt4. However that BMW power unit is an awesome bit of kit.
I like the look of it and will test drive. If it was out last year I would have likely considered it prior to buying a Cayman. Fingers crossed they release a GRMN manual version next year to tempt me back to Toyota :)

7 minutes ago, Subota Boy said:

heralds the end of the 86 !!

Hmmm - I agree with you, in that it would appear to be the subtext, or gist of it, however I find it hard to see how Toyota would kill the golden (well gold-plated) goose, especially when you take into account whatever contract exists with Subaru too. And then there’s the large number of aftermarket companies servicing the GT(S)86 sector as well. Seeing as the Supra is BMW, and has practically no shared components, I don’t really want to believe the GT86 was nothing more than a stopgap while awaiting the Supra. 

9 minutes ago, Septic said:

I find it hard to see how Toyota would kill the golden (well gold-plated) goose, especially when you take into account whatever contract exists with Subaru too. 

It's not hard to see that the 86 platform is not selling as well any more. If the Supra starts eating any of those sales it will start to appear less likely that they will want to keep producing it. Subaru have their own issues with their malpractice penalties and recall problems that financially if they need to make cuts the BRZ is probably the one model that doesn't suit their range. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a Mk2.

1 minute ago, knightryder said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a Mk2.

As much as I hate to admit it, what you are saying makes good sense, as seems likely, given the Supra taking on the role of flagship sports car. 

I hope that, in the longer term, the 86 attains the timeless classic status it deserves. Holding its value, with well treated, low mileage examples sought after collectors items. 

For car to last long and become such collector item .. it probably asks for car to not be actually trashed on track .. errr .. driven as it was meant to :).

Imho more possible scenarios will be just like with other relatively cheap sporty cars. No matter the mileage, unless it's new, there is high chance for crx/200sx/bmw 3rd series/wrx/sti/type r .. and gt86/brz to be driven hard. Not just once in a while slowly cruised to church by old chap or lady :)

2 hours ago, knightryder said:

It's not hard to see that the 86 platform is not selling as well any more. If the Supra starts eating any of those sales it will start to appear less likely that they will want to keep producing it. Subaru have their own issues with their malpractice penalties and recall problems that financially if they need to make cuts the BRZ is probably the one model that doesn't suit their range. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a Mk2.

First I have heard about malpractice penalties !!  Recall problems - I wonder if Toyota have an ability to offset the cost of the valve spring recall to Subaru?  Toyota dealers don't seem to like the Subaru flat-four, in my experience, which could support a move by the company to BMW-sourced engines.  I know Toyota own a share of Subaru, but who knows?

18 minutes ago, Subota Boy said:

First I have heard about malpractice penalties !!

https://www.hotcars.com/subaru-safety-data-altering/

They aren't the only JDM company guilty of it, but along with the recall stuff ($177.4m) and the emissions falsifying ($50k per car fine, reputedly around 1900 cars) is going to cost them a fortune.