lewisw

Daily Driver Vs Weekend Toy

So I drive my GT86 on a daily basis and until recently it has become a familiar place to be and so the excitement I first experienced when I got her has worn off a little, I've recently started driving other vehicles with work and so my 86 feels a lot more special driving home at the end of the day. Do people who own these cars as a weekend toy get that feeling of excitement to be driving your car every time? or does that start to wear off over time as well? 

I've only had mine for 6 months, but even the daily drive through rush hour is fun to me. I still grin when I get in it, and seize every chance I can to push it round corners, and just enjoy driving it. I'm sure it may wear off in a couple of years, but hopefully I'll have the money to mod it, and fall in love over again.

I don't commute but I don't have another car/runaround so it varies wildly how much I drive it, it's mostly a toy though. It hasn't worn off for me yet and I doubt it will. If anything I enjoy it more after each change I make.

Been daily driving mine since March (done about 14k already) and it still hasn't worn off for me yet. I've actually been enjoying it even more in the recent months with it being more playful in the cold conditions.

As i usually often push it way more then previous 'normal' cars, be it flooring from standing starts or higher speeds in turns (still within legal speeds though :) ) when daily driving on every occasion i can to hear engine noise & tire chirp, even though that is everything but ecomiling way of driving .. so no .. after 20K miles i'm still loving this car. Driving it rises my mood, not just on track, everywhere. And feeling extra enlightenment if return to driving it after having temporary to drive in other cars, to get back seating pose and controls placement around me fitting like glove, much sharper steering/braking/handling. This car really sometimes makes one choose longer back roads instead of fastest routes just because driving it is really enjoyable, not plain travel from A to B, that should end sooner so that more time can be spent in more fun ways.

I bought my GT86 to be a daily but after I looked into it further there wasn't much of an additional cost for me to run 2 cars, so I ended up keeping my trusty old Mk4 Golf which it was intending to completely replace. Best decision I made, they are like chalk and cheese, switching between the 2 cars is great, going from a 14 year old diesel FWD Golf with 206k miles on it to a nearly new RWD petrol sports car is incomparable, it really makes the 86 feel special when I jump into it and funnily enough its visa versa when I jump into the Golf.

I definitely think you appreciate the 86 more when you have access to other cars (which aren't like for like).

Bought mine as a daily driver to keep the Porsche for weekends. Ended up completely replacing the Porsche and previous car, as I use the 86 on weekends too.

For the first year of ownership (pre-turbo), I loved every day with the car, it would always make me smile or sometimes even laugh with it's handling characteristics. Since install of the turbo, I can still smile when going around a corner, but now gurn like a child whenever I touch the throttle, because of the screamer. Couple that with 35+ mpg average, and there's no reason for it not to be a daily, or a weekend weapon, so it's both :)

Use it as a daily but just purchased a 2nd car (picking up fri) as my commute is only 4 miles the GT86 barely warms up and just drinks fuel unnecessarily really during the week. It's al;so not really an engaging drive with the traffic.

I drive a newish Merc C Class daily. Its an AMG and the handling is not bad at all. I really enjoy chucking it about. The GT is a different animal though, much stiffer, louder and sharper. To be honest I enjoy driving both cars in different ways. 

Indeed. Sports cars become as dull and frustrating if all you get to do is crawl in traffic. It takes is a bit of freedom to remind yourself why it's great. Or a really aggressive approach to commuting.

I've done 94K miles it is my daily car I do everything in it, I use it for my work. I've realised that life is too short to drive a boring car and that I cannot drive a boring car again. Years ago I had a Panda diesel (terrible mistake) and a DC2. I hardly ever got to drive the DC2, so I would never put myself in that situation again. 

I had a decent sound system installed when I bought the car, stuff like that really helps. I stil love driving mine, even though it's a pain driving arounda the local council estate for work with it's pot holed roads and mountainous speed humps! The excitement soon comes back when I drive it on track or get a chance to play on a decent road. 

It's wasted as a toy. The niche of this car is that it's just about refined and practical for daily use but yet still driver focused.

If I didn't need a daily driver there are more focused options for the money. Second hand Elise probably...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had mine from New and covered over 65k and of that mileage only about 1k of it relates to work as am Semi-Retired now. So get to enjoy the car all the time. Every time I drive the car I get this buzz from it's handling and love pushing the car too it's limits,knowing full well that am still safe.

Mine is Automatic so a doddle to drive around town in traffic and then on long Motorway Drives I just put the Cruise Control on. It averages about 34mpg !

Having put Parking Sensors on Front and Back plus a Reversing Camera the car is so easy to park and take into Muli-Story Car Parks.

Have driven 33 track days in this car alone and never missed a beat.

It's not the best car I have owned but it does come extremely close to it.

FB_IMG_1487357088797.jpg

FB_IMG_1487357064201.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_A001 using Tapatalk

Mine was bought as a daily but now it sits on the drive looking pretty all day because the drive is the closest free parking space to my current work. I miss the daily drive home through country lanes and wide open roundabouts but the money saved on commuting pays for the 3-4 trackdays a year I try to do. Car is coming up to 4 years old this summer, yes I could trade it in for something more weekend focused or cheaper to sit on the drive, but it does everything I want it to do and I love the feeling of rolling it off the drive when I get a chance to, knowing I'm going to enjoy the driving.

Everything car, just love driving it, even commuting into London on a daily basis. With the applied mods it just does everything so well. Only outstanding item to address is the sound system. I recall seeing an install at an Amber event the other year, which looked mustard. I think it was Lauren's?

Mines a second car to a diesel hatch, id agree on that its not special enough as a second car but then i still find it fun, fast enough, its new so shouldnt have any high maintenance costs, its practical (went around europe no trouble) plus most importantly i can get it down a ramp and into my tight garage which i doubt a used cayman/m3/911 would.

Still fun for me as a daily, although my commute is very small (2miles) and the mpg is worse than I thought it would be but I would imagine that is due to the small commute. Tempted to cycle into work but then I would never get to drive the car :(

I like to mod it a bit to keep it entertaining and to make it a nice place to be. 

Edit: I do still have my Suzuki Swift Sport (which I still love to drive) but it's no longer taxed or insured and can't really afford to run 2 cars. 

Daily drive for me, I did have an Elise S2 111s for weekends but it never got used and just sat in the garage. 

Now the Elise has gone I keep looking at a replacement that has the performance of the Elise and the practicality of the GT86.