Collateral

In the market for a exhaust system - One that isn't too loud!

Hi guys and girls. 

Been a lurker of this forum for a very long time and I think it's time to actually start to ask questions, because my modification itch needs scratching, even though I said I wouldn't modify the 86 :rolleyes:

My previous car was a 3 cylinder, 1ltr with a HUGE exhaust which made loads of annoying noise on motorways and just in general, I don't want that for my 86.

I want an exhaust that makes noise when you put your foot down, but is quite tame on idle.

I know this is such an ambiguous question, it's all to do with personal taste, but any sort of direction would be awesome!

Thanks!

The Milltek Non-res isn't too "droney", but the build quality is pretty crap from what i've heard from various members. Maybe look at the Invidia Q300?

10 minutes ago, TTR said:

The Milltek Non-res isn't too "droney", but the build quality is pretty crap from what i've heard from various members. Maybe look at the Invidia Q300?

Was going to suggest the Milltek non-res (catback anyway) because it's not droney at all unless you give it some.... but yea, it'll crack at some point!

Something to bare in mind, it's all well and good getting a non resonated cat back now, however I you decide later on that you want to remove any cats (manifold or front pipe) this will make the exhaust alot louder. 

If however you know you won't change the rest of the exhaust a non res will be fine. 

Best thing to do, is come to a couple of meets and hear some before making a decision. 

Every exhaust thread that pops up at least one person recommends a Milltek despite all the quality issues, I don't get it? @Collateral Avoid that trash, don't buy a Milltek.

Stick to a resonated option as they quieter and less droney. Future proof yourself too, if you are considering freeing up other sections of the exhaust then you will need a quiet cat back to keep the noise levels in check as these cars quickly get loud when you change out other exhaust components. However If you aren't then there is less emphasis on having one of the quiet systems. Cobra, Perrin, Blitz, Greddy all have good options which aren't too loud, the invidia Q300 is another good option but it is very quiet if left as a catback only mod.

18 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Every exhaust thread that pops up at least one person recommends a Milltek despite all the quality issues, I don't get it? @Collateral Avoid that trash, don't buy a Milltek.

Pretty sure me and Mike both stated that the build quality on the Milltek was crap, not exactly a glowing recommendation :lol: 

1 hour ago, Varelco said:

They get recommended because they're cheap I think. And the tips look good. But quality they are not. Just waiting for mine to break at this point...

50 minutes ago, TTR said:

Pretty sure me and Mike both stated that the build quality on the Milltek was crap, not exactly a glowing recommendation :lol: 

Yeah I should probably learn to read properly... lol.

One that's not been mentioned so far is AVO Turboworld 2.1/2" cat-back.

Before the UEL headers it sounded great - not to say it doesn't sound good now, but it's very different to how it was.

Off the shelf AVO is a little louder than OE, more throaty but no rasp. Fensport supplied and fitted mine.

Resonated Milltek is good for me. Not too loud but sounds good n' deep.

Not had any issues with mine one year on and it was checked last week.

I actually don't mind the prospect of getting a new system every time it fails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for Tuning Developments resonated cat back, I've had mine for 3 weeks now. No drone on the motorway (drove down to Essex from Stoke a couple weeks ago). Cold start can be a little loud but actually I don't mind that. Turns heads when it starts up, but nothing too crazy that makes you look like a plonker. Also looks quite nice (in my opinion of course) where it sticks out a little, but not too aggressively.

12 hours ago, Dessss said:

Cold start can be a little loud but actually I don't mind that. Turns heads when it starts up, but nothing too crazy that makes you look like a plonker. 

Got me worried now what my non resonated gonna sound like!  😬😬

12 hours ago, Dessss said:  Cold start can be a little loud but actually I don't mind that. Turns heads when it starts up, but nothing too crazy that makes you look like a plonker. 

Got me worried now what my non resonated gonna sound like!  

As soon as you move off the cold start retard cancels and the volume drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk