Thinking about something lighter and better rubber when the Primacys run out. Standard wheels will get winter tyres put on. Just saw these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBS-Wheels-SR-8x18-ET48-5x100-GREYM-for-Toyota-GT-86-/391381884003?fits=Model%3AGT+86&hash=item5b202d9c63:g:Wm8AAOSwIUNXFf8N 

Says they fit, presumably without a spigot ring? What tyre size are people running with 18's? Being 18x8 I'm guessing they should clear quite a few bigger brake setups should I upgrade in the future.

On 18x8 you should probably run 225/40 tyres. I'm running them on 18x8.5s with a small stretch.

As for big brake kits, 18s will be big enough. The limiting factor may be the offset. 48 offset is quite a small offset, so you may find the inside of the wheels would foul with the brakes, meaning you'd need spacers. You could probably run up to a 20mm spacer easily on those wheels anyway, so as long as you bear that in mind, shouldn't be a problem.

Just so you are aware those wheels weigh 11.3kg so basically the same weight as the stock wheels. There are better & lighter wheels available.

It's a wheel I was also considering for my Octavia as stock wheels are heavy. 11kg is about the norm. I'd like lighter but not sure what. 18x8 seems a good size, perhaps go for a smaller offset, say et35?

2 hours ago, will300 said:

Just so you are aware those wheels weigh 11.3kg so basically the same weight as the stock wheels. There are better & lighter wheels available.

11.3 kg is 2.2 kg heavier than the stock 17" wheels. That's an extra 8.8 kg and rotational mass is usually considered to be worth 3x the weight so an extra 26.2kg extra. That's a noticeable amount!

Edited by Deacon
Dodgy maths!

The stock wheels are actually 9.1kg, or 21lbs, not 11kg, so there is a bit of a difference as Jeff said.

My wheels, for reference, are 25lbs, although are an inch bigger and an inch and a half wider (18x8.5), so for me it was worth the sacrifice of 16lbs of increased weight in exchange for (in my opinion) far better looks in comparison to 17's, and wider tyres for lateral grip.

It's worth considering however, that while lighter wheels are better for steering response and overall lap times, heavier wheels are less likely to lose traction and will lend themselves towards a more comfortable ride. Both basic mechanic knowledge and various lightweight wheel tests conducted over the years will support this.

It's a toss up between what you want to achieve. If you care more about how the car looks than how it drives, get whatever wheels you like, if you want to get every minute percentage of performance out of the car, then go for a lighter wheel, despite the fact it may not be what you want.

The differences in performance will be very slight, the difference in your opinion of the car when you look out the window may be something very different.

Lighter rather than too heavy I'd prefer. Didn't realise they were that much heavier than stock. I looked up BBS first because they are known as good wheels in the VAG community. 

So I'm after a wheel that 18x8/8.5 with a decent offset but weight similar or less than stock.

Depends what sort of money you're willing to spend and what appearance you want. A TE37 in 18x8.5 for instance is around 8kg, which is nice and light, but you're looking at well over 2 grand for a set new...

I'd still argue you're unlikely to notice much of a difference.

You'll be going with wider wheels no matter what you choose, and wider tyres = worse turn in response, which is one of the main advantages of lightweight wheels.

You can find light 18x8 wheels, or 18x8.5, but then you have to start considering cost and quality. A lightweight wheel is either going to be smaller than 18", made of poor quality materials, or expensive. Pick one of those and accept the outcome, or stick with what you want.

It's simple really.

4 minutes ago, KobayashiMaru said:

Lighter rather than too heavy I'd prefer. Didn't realise they were that much heavier than stock. I looked up BBS first because they are known as good wheels in the VAG community. 

So I'm after a wheel that 18x8/8.5 with a decent offset but weight similar or less than stock.

It depends what your budget is really. TD prorace 1.2's would give you the sort of size and weight you want as would several of the rota wheels for a reasonable price. At the more expensive end something like TWF wheels from Japan would give you a considerable weight saving over stock but you're looking at a couple of thousand pounds for a set.

1 minute ago, Deacon said:

It depends what your budget is really. TD prorace 1.2's would give you the sort of size and weight you want as would several of the rota wheels for a reasonable price. At the more expensive end something like TWF wheels from Japan would give you a considerable weight saving over stock but you're looking at a couple of thousand pounds for a set.

Around £1000 or less. I can get a full set of Micheln PS4 for less than £400 fitted

51 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

...and will lend themselves towards a more comfortable ride.

This is an interesting point but goes against the experience I've had. I've run the 86 on four sets of wheels, all of different weights and different sizes (although all have been 17's). I've found the lightest ones have also given the better ride comfort.

5 minutes ago, KobayashiMaru said:

Around £1000 or less. I can get a full set of Micheln PS4 for less than £400 fitted

Some of the rota offerings or the TD's then would fit that bill fairly well. Just depends if you like the styles!

12 minutes ago, Deacon said:

This is an interesting point but goes against the experience I've had. I've run the 86 on four sets of wheels, all of different weights and different sizes (although all have been 17's). I've found the lightest ones have also given the better ride comfort.

Suspension setups are a big consideration tbh.

There are a few ways to look at it. A heavier wheel, in theory, stays in contact with the road more, because it requires more energy to lift the wheel (obviously). This means the tyre experiences more bumps than a lighter wheel, meaning the suspension has to compensate for more bumps, but because the wheel is harder to lift, the suspension is moving less.

On the flip side, a lighter wheel is more likely to lift over bumps, then be forced back down to the tarmac by the suspension. So the suspension is experiencing less bumps, but having to work harder for each bump due to the increased movement.

In my experience at least, I found the car became more compliant over bumps after changing wheels, but I also changed to a much better quality tyre, and one that I know to be particularly forgiving from previous cars. I was also still undecided on suspension setups when I changed wheels, so that might have been a contributor. So while my theory stands, perhaps my experience isn't completely fair.

I went from a 18.8kg stock wheel/tyre combo to a 19.8kg (8.4kg wheel, 11.4kg tyre) and didn't really notice the difference.

Rotational Inertia will be higher as they are 18x9 wheels and wider tyres but I couldnt feel much difference. Tyre pressure and ambient temps have a much bigger effect on my AD08Rs. 

14 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Suspension setups are a big consideration tbh.

Pretty sure I'm right in saying that I've tried my four set ups all on the same suspension set ups so that at least can be eliminated as a factor.

14 minutes ago, S18 RSG said: Suspension setups are a big consideration tbh.

Pretty sure I'm right in saying that I've tried my four set ups all on the same suspension set ups so that at least can be eliminated as a factor.

What I mean by suspension being a factor, is that results could differ depending on your own suspension setup. If you have a stiff setup, you might find different results to someone with a softer setup. With a stiff ride already, you could find making it stiffer would be undesirable, whereas a softer setup could benefit from some level of stiffening.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

The choice of wheel is massive which is what I'm having trouble deciding. All I want is a light wheel by a decent brand and is easy to maintain. Noticing some are using spigot rings but I'm guessing that would be if the wheel was too big for the hub.

I've started to look through project threads for ideas but any suggestions would be appreciated

6 hours ago, will300 said:

Stock wheels are 9.2kg. So these are significantly heavier. It will blunt every aspect of performance a bit. I would look for lighter wheels. The stock ones aren't light. 

I would say look at lightweight Japanese wheels. Enkei, Work, Advan, Rays etc. 

Forged are the lightest, but also the most expensive. 

Plus you have to consider the bigger tyre. I just bought aftermarket wheels that genuinely do weigh the same as stock out of the the box, even at an inch bigger in both directions. But with tyre they weigh a bit more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk