They offered a set for TPI Tuner ones with locking nuts in black for £27.72 but surely for that price they are just cheap ones. The website only lists these ones
www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/wheel-nuts-bolts/tpi-lightweight-alloy-wheel-nut-kit-closed-end-type 

A Google find these which make me thing it's these cheaper ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPI-Alloy-Wheel-Nuts-12x1-25-Subaru-WRX-STI-20-Black-/371189472231?hash=item566c9ddbe7

Don't mind paying around £50 if they are decent

Found this. Looking at product description they are cheaper ones are steel so that's fine http://www.taperpro.co.uk/2012/sd_nuts.htm

16 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Generic wheel question for the wheel thread:

Does anyone with 18" wheels notice that it changed how the gearing felt?

I was thinking about getting 18s with a dual purpose of slightly lowering the final drive ratio. Is it at all noticeable?

You won't change the gearing with the wheels. To do that you'd need to fit either under or over sized tyres.

37 minutes ago, KobayashiMaru said:

They offered a set for TPI Tuner ones with locking nuts in black for £27.72 but surely for that price they are just cheap ones. The website only lists these ones
www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/wheel-nuts-bolts/tpi-lightweight-alloy-wheel-nut-kit-closed-end-type 

A Google find these which make me thing it's these cheaper ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPI-Alloy-Wheel-Nuts-12x1-25-Subaru-WRX-STI-20-Black-/371189472231?hash=item566c9ddbe7

Don't mind paying around £50 if they are decent

Found this. Looking at product description they are cheaper ones are steel so that's fine http://www.taperpro.co.uk/2012/sd_nuts.htm

TarmacSportz sell Muteki nuts at reasonable prices.

1 hour ago, KobayashiMaru said:

Thanks Lauren. I didn't know if it was nuts or bolts as I've never taken the wheels off myself. Everything VAG group is bolts.

My Audi was studs and nuts. I thought pretty much everything was these days.

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

You won't change the gearing with the wheels. To do that you'd need to fit either under or over sized tyres.

Errrm, surely larger diameter wheels will change the gear ratio?? But anyway, sounds like not enough for anyone to notice.

22 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Errrm, surely larger diameter wheels will change the gear ratio?? But anyway, sounds like not enough for anyone to notice.

No wheels won't change the gearing unless you change the tyre size. When you fit larger wheels you drop the tyre sidewall size so the rolling radius stays as close to stock as possible.

13 hours ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

it only changes the ratio if your rolling radius (wheel + tyre size) changes e.g. 225/45R18 will be taller than 225/45R17, if you keep the rolling radius the same then the ratio doesn't change regardless of wheel diameter

I thought that much was obvious and assumed he was talking about a larger rolling diameter/including the same tyre sidewall size haha

1 hour ago, Ztox said:

I thought that much was obvious and assumed he was talking about a larger rolling diameter/including the same tyre sidewall size haha

Actually I didn't realise that's what people did! But I would be looking to increase the rolling diameter to increase FD.

seems like everyone on 18s has reduced the tyre size accordingly.....

Just bear in mind that bigger sidewalls mean less precise handling and feel. The effect on the overall gearing would be small if you ran say a 225/45/18. It will make your speedo over read a bit more than it already does. Do you really find the gearing too short? It's always struck me as a good balance for acceleration and cruising at speed. 

I thought the gearing was perfect for NA, but FI I find that 1st is pretty much obsolete and a bit jerky. 

Ive heard of FI people in the States swapping the final drive for a Lexus one that's shorter (longer?, basically the opposite to how people usually swap their FDs)

i thought 18s might be a neat little way of improving grip, better looks and getting a change in final drive.

Also, would the speedo not read under?

Wheels are finally on. Didn't have time to do proper pictures but will do once the car has been cleaned. Turn in noticeably sharper and change of direction with Michelin's is even better.

IMG_20170508_172559_zpsj8uj5jls.jpg

IMG_20170508_142755_zps1biyesv5.jpg

IMG_20170508_142628_zpsxhq0cwv9.jpg

Brakes look a bit lost but there will never be an issue for bigger ones
IMG_20170508_172550_zpslveha4wb.jpg