Where are people buying there wheels from? Problem I'm finding is I see a wheel I like but finding it in the right sizes is a pain or even finding a UK supplier of Japanese brands. Enkei, Advan, Rays and Volk are on the list so far.

Driftworks sell Work wheels and some others. For the more exclusive wheels you are likely looking at importing. Volk Racing Wheels are Rays Engineering wheels btw. Or you can buy second hand (as I did) and refurb if you are fortunate enough to find a set! 

9 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Driftworks sell Work wheels and some others. For the more exclusive wheels you are likely looking at importing. Volk Racing Wheels are Rays Engineering wheels btw. Or you can buy second hand (as I did) and refurb if you are fortunate enough to find a set! 

What size did you go for?

I personally gave up on looking for a light weight wheel, there's not enough information out there regarding weights and hardly any company out there will bother weighing them and hardly of the manufactures bother specifying them either.  Looking for a light weight wheel also severely limited my wheels choices as they either look meh and not very interesting while only being a little bit lighter or they look awesome, are light but cost a bomb.

If you are looking for Rays/Gramlights/Volks then check out coorsport as they are the main UK distributors of Rays but you can also contact Fensport, Abbey Motorsports, Tarmac Sportz and probably even Amber Performance as they can source all sorts too.  The alternative would be to contact someone in Japan and have them ship stuff over for you such as Japex or 86WORX etc.

Only just read that some years have TPMS sensors in the wheels? So if I change wheels the light will be on. I don't know how this system works but is it easy to put sensors on non OEM wheels? It's a 13 plate

Starting to think more about what tyre size is ideal. Was hoping for 225-40 18 which fits fine on a 18x8 but stretches a little on 18x8.5 which means less rim protection but I like the 18x8.5 wheel I've seen (link a few posts up)

Would I just go to 235-40-18 or is that too much tyre? By that I mean too much grip for the car and hurts feel a bit? On stock primacys atm which are fine dry but awful in wet so do want to change soon. I don't know that much about wheels so bear with me. 18x8 ET 45 and 18x8.5 ET 40, how would they differ? It it just losing offset here and gaining wheel width there?

Tyres I'd be going for Michelin PS4's. Buying a full set for my vRS soon so if I buy wheels I should get a discount from buying 8 at once

225 on an 8.5, to me, is perfect. Enough stretch to look good and stiffen up the sidewalk, but not too much that you lose the rim protection.

You have to remembe that rim protection differs per tyre. Find a tyre with a good rim protector, and you'll still get the benefits with a 225 on an 8.5. I have Vredestein tyres which are very highly rated summer tyres, and they have great rim protection.

15 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

225 on an 8.5, to me, is perfect. Enough stretch to look good and stiffen up the sidewalk, but not too much that you lose the rim protection.

You have to remembe that rim protection differs per tyre. Find a tyre with a good rim protector, and you'll still get the benefits with a 225 on an 8.5. I have Vredestein tyres which are very highly rated summer tyres, and they have great rim protection.

Do you have a picture of what it looks like?

0a5eaa391d39e4c3ac0df326adc6fc8d.jpgm

That's 225/40 18 on an 8 inch rim. I think another half inch wouldn't trouble them.

I find that's just the right amount of tyre. I wouldn't want 235s particularly.

Try googling tyre size calculator. There's a brilliant site where you can enter your current and future wheel and tyre sizes and it shows you exactly how they'll sit on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

225's on an 8" rim is fine. I'd go 8.5" to pull the sidewall slighty and give a little less flex whilst cornering. A 235 won't be as good as a 225, I would say. You'd certainly want an 8.5 or 8.75" wide rim for a 235. I think 235s are over tyring the car though. I run a 215 (stock sizes) on an 8" rim. I've tried 225, but didn't like it. Too much sidewall flex. 

Sidewall flex will be a little less on a 40 profile tyres versus a 45 like I had though. 

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

225's on an 8" rim is fine. I'd go 8.5" to pull the sidewall slighty and give a little less flex whilst cornering. A 235 won't be as good as a 225, I would say. You'd certainly want an 8.5 or 8.75" wide rim for a 235. I think 235s are over tyring the car though. I run a 215 (stock sizes) on an 8" rim. I've tried 225, but didn't like it. Too much sidewall flex. 

Sidewall flex will be a little less on a 40 profile tyres versus a 45 like I had though. 

Good input Lauren. Wider rims transform the feel and potential but for a road-going car it's a lot of 'trial'.

Spec k