Pitman

Pitman's Toyota Sprint Series car

Leading on from my thread here: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/2091-plan-for-tss-2015/ there has been some progress, so thought I would start a build thread  :D

After a couple of months searching for the right base car, I finally found it at a relatively local Kia dealership

SAM_0060_zpsa66a1df2.jpg

A red, totally rust free, 3 door, non sunroof Mk1 Yaris  B)

It has only done 124 000 miles (so just run in) and it drives brilliantly.  This engine (all 65bhp of it :blink: ) doesn't quite cut it for a Sprint car, so it is being replaced.

SAM_0066_zps9e64aa35.jpg

I have bought a low mileage Yaris T Sport  1.5l 1NZ FE engine and gearbox which is currently being turned into a full blown race engine.  I completely stripped down the engine, and after an overnight soak in Dichlorometane to remove all the oil and combustion crud, the head, cam cover, block and lower casting have been sent away for vapour blasting, to make them look like new.  The engine spec will be:

CP forged 9:1 pistons

Brian Crowler forged rods with ARP fasteners

ARP head, main bearing and flywheel studs / bolts

JUN stage 2 cams

Brian Crowler valve springs with titanium retainers

Garrett GT2560R turbo

Custom inlet manifold / plenum with a 1ZZ throttle body

Custom exhaust manifold (equal length runners, not log type)

Standard (new) valves, with the head lightly ported and polished

Stand alone ECU.  Whilst I would love to get a Motec, they are stupidly expensive, so my current thinking is to go with the DTA S60 (I just hope that Adrian can map it  :rolleyes: )

The aim is a safe, reliable 250whp, which, in a car with a target weight of under 750kg, should be fun to drive burnrubber.gif

Suspension wise, I have bought (at a very good price I could not refuse) a 6 month old set of D2 coilovers.  I know that D2s get very mixed bag reviews, but at the price I paid, I thought they would be worth a try.  I have just finished cleaning and making look like new a T Sport front cross member and front ARB, and have also managed to get hold of a Whiteline rear ARB (which are now like the proverbial rocking horse poo!  I have also bought a T sport rear axle assy, complete with the disc brakes, so when it arrives, I will be refurbishing it, fitting poly bushes, and then swapping it with the drum brake rear axle currently on the red monster. I am also making fully adjustable front lower suspension arms, so that the caster and camber can be optimised.  The D2s come with adjustable top pillar ball mounts at the front, so there will be plenty of adjustment to play with.  I have a new manual steering rack (don't want the weight and power robbing of a hydraulic power steering system).  If, when the car is finished the steering is too heavy, I will fit an electric power steering unit.

The interior will be totally stripped, and a roll cage fitted.  I have got a 1 piece phase 2 front bumper to replace the current 2 piece one, as well as T Sport side skirts and a genuine TTE tailgate spoiler.

As can be seen, it is going to be a lot of work to get the car built, so my current hope is to get it finished at least in time for the Croft round of the 2015 TSS, and then do the whole series next year.

Thank you for the support, Guys and Gal  ;)

I forgot the drivetrain spec, Lauren - Fidanza aluminium flywheel, Helex cerametallic 4 paddle clutch and uprated cover.  T Sport gearbox with TRD LSD.  I did look long and hard at the option of the MR2, but for what I want, the Yaris ticks more boxes  :D   :D

Richard, after experiencing the boost of my 86, there is no option but turbo  :D .  I am busy putting together a bit of a shopping list for standard Toyota parts - I assume that RRG can also supply stuff for a Yaris?

Thank you for the support, Guys and Gal  ;)

I forgot the drivetrain spec, Lauren - Fidanza aluminium flywheel, Helex cerametallic 4 paddle clutch and uprated cover.  T Sport gearbox with TRD LSD.  I did look long and hard at the option of the MR2, but for what I want, the Yaris ticks more boxes  :D   :D

Richard, after experiencing the boost of my 86, there is no option but turbo  :D .  I am busy putting together a bit of a shopping list for standard Toyota parts - I assume that RRG can also supply stuff for a Yaris?

No problem Dave send me the list when ready,and it will all be sorted as usual :)

Mike, I won't get it finished in time for the full 2015 season, although I hope to be able to get it finished to do at least a few rounds this year, in preparation for a full go next year.

Glad you've announced your project Dave. No more having to watch what I say as you were wanting to keep things quiet..

I think this will be a great little bundle of fun to drive and will certainly be a one off out there. Tell you what people, I've sat in this monster and that 65hp is just too much for me, it positively shakes the ground!!

As for cages, have you checked out the OMP cage on Demon Tweeks, around £750??

Cheers, Nige happy0180.gif

It might only be 64bhp now (I have just checked, and found that I overstated the power output earlier by approximately 1.5% bonk.gif)  but wait until the 'new' engine is built and fitted happyanim.gif.  As you say, you are the privileged one to be the first forum member who has sat in the car with the engine running  :D

As far as I know, the OMP roll cage has got doglegs at the front to miss the dash (a total no-no, as we discussed on Saturday), plus that are made to order, with a fairly long lead-time (from memory, it was 6 weeks minimum when I inquired the end of last year)..  I need to have a chat with Adrian @ Fensport about Cusco roll cages, to see if they have anything that meets my requirements.

As far as I know, the OMP roll cage has got doglegs at the front to miss the dash (a total no-no, as we discussed on Saturday), plus that are made to order, with a fairly long lead-time (from memory, it was 6 weeks minimum when I inquired the end of last year)..  I need to have a chat with Adrian @ Fensport about Cusco roll cages, to see if they have anything that meets my requirements.

The OMP cage drops vertically down from the A post through the Dash Dave. It is a good looking cage and is very reasonably priced from DT, which is unusual!!

The OMP cage drops vertically down from the A post through the Dash Dave. It is a good looking cage and is very reasonably priced from DT, which is unusual!!

Need to look into it a bit more, then.  I have found the right Cusco one - 7 point bolt in, CrMo steel, also through the dash.  They are £415.50 from RHD Japan, the killer though, is the shipping, about £350!  I need to give Fensport a ring.  So it looks like it will be either OMP or Cusco then for the cage  ;)

http://www.rhdjapan.com/cusco-d1-roll-bar-7-point-2-seats-through-dash-toyota.html

Not nearly as glamorous as the pictures that Nige has been posting, but..........

1NZ FE engine head, block, sump and cam cover all cleaned and ready for some machine work prior the the race engine assembly

SAM_0079_zps0c39601e.jpg

One nice clean T Sport gearbox ready to be taken to Fensport for a LSD to be fitted

SAM_0078_zpsfc70681d.jpg

There are two parts of the 1N ZE that limit the amount of boost they will take, the 10.5:1 compression ratio (no direct injection like the GT86), and the ultra light weight powder forged con rods.  Here is a comparison between the Brian Crowler rods and standard

SAM_0081_zps3530f2ed.jpg

I will post some pictures of the forged 9:1 CP pistons when they arrive from the good old USA

Neil, at well over £2000 for a Motec that a £900 DTA can do (as far as what my humble Yaris will require anyway), I think the chances are pretty good.  A key point will however, be if Adrian Smith will be prepared to map a DTA ecu. There is no one else I trust to map my car(s) for me.